[linux-dell-laptops] ATI on CPx H500GT

  • James
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 29, 1999
      Hello,

      Just got a Latitude H500GT w/ATI Rage 3D 8MB video card and installed
      RedHat6.1. XConfiguration installs the Mach64 server and recommends
      1024x768 at 32bpp. When I try to test it the screen turns some funny
      colors and then dies. If I choose not to test and accept it's values
      and startx the screen just goes blank. I have tried all resolutions and
      color depths with the same results. I also tried the fix mentioned in a
      how to fix this? I was never able to get it working properly with the
      CPi400GT w/NeoMagic 256ZX either. Thanks
    • Jorgen Christiansen
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 6, 2000
        Hi, I received the same identical error. Did you fidn out what is wrong
        ?

        -Jorgen

        "james" <

        =273

      • jean-frederic.thebault@accesinternet.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 6, 2000
          Same to me with a 7.5k Dell Inspiron... Any new informations ??
          John

          "jorgen christiansen" <chrjo0-@...> wrote:
          =280
          > Hi, I received the same identical error. Did you fidn out what is
          wrong
          > ?
          >
          > -Jorgen
          >

          > "james" <
          >
          > > wrote:
          > original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/linux-dell-laptops/?sta
          rt
          > =273
          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > Just got a Latitude H500GT w/ATI Rage 3D 8MB video card and
          installed
          > > RedHat6.1. XConfiguration installs the Mach64 server and recommends
          > > 1024x768 at 32bpp. When I try to test it the screen turns some funny
          > > colors and then dies. If I choose not to test and accept it's values
          > > and startx the screen just goes blank. I have tried all resolutions
          > and
          > > color depths with the same results. I also tried the fix mentioned
          in
          as
          > > how to fix this? I was never able to get it working properly with
          the
          > > CPi400GT w/NeoMagic 256ZX either. Thanks

        • Robin Hillman
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 9, 2000
            I just picked up my Latitude H500GT and installed Linux only to find
            that the ATI Rage Mobility chipset is not yet supported yet but the ATI
            Rage LT Pro chipset are now supported using XFree86 v3.3.5. Check the
            ATI web site
            at http://www.ati.com/na/pages/resource_centre/dev_rel/linux.html
            regarding Xfree86 support for this chipset...... Looks like we're gonna
            have to wait a while !!!

            "james" <jame-@...> wrote:
            =273
            > Hello,
            >
            > Just got a Latitude H500GT w/ATI Rage 3D 8MB video card and installed
            > RedHat6.1. XConfiguration installs the Mach64 server and recommends
            > 1024x768 at 32bpp. When I try to test it the screen turns some funny
            > colors and then dies. If I choose not to test and accept it's values
            > and startx the screen just goes blank. I have tried all resolutions
            and
            > color depths with the same results. I also tried the fix mentioned in
            > how to fix this? I was never able to get it working properly with the
            > CPi400GT w/NeoMagic 256ZX either. Thanks

          • Fox Purtill
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 12, 2000
              First, download the i75olnxf.rpm file from the Dell drivers web site
              closest to you.

              From LILO you can write

              > linux vga=791

              or just add it to your /etc/lilo.conf file.

              I don't know how much the users here know obout Linux so here is some
              more help. If you copied the rpm to a floppy you might have to mount
              the floppy drive as well and then access it. To do this..

              mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

              then:

              cd /mnt/floppy

              The rpm-file you just got at the Dell pages just gets forced in using
              the following command.

              rpm -ivh i75olnxf.rpm --force

              Works well.

              "robin hillman" <rhillma-@...> wrote:
              =290
              > I just picked up my Latitude H500GT and installed Linux only to find
              > that the ATI Rage Mobility chipset is not yet supported yet but the
              ATI
              > Rage LT Pro chipset are now supported using XFree86 v3.3.5. Check the
              > ATI web site
              > at http://www.ati.com/na/pages/resource_centre/dev_rel/linux.html
              > regarding Xfree86 support for this chipset...... Looks like we're
              gonna
              > have to wait a while !!!
              >

              > "james" <jame-@...> wrote:
              > original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/linux-dell-laptops/?sta
              rt
              > =273
              > > Hello,
              > >
              > > Just got a Latitude H500GT w/ATI Rage 3D 8MB video card and
              installed
              > > RedHat6.1. XConfiguration installs the Mach64 server and recommends
              > > 1024x768 at 32bpp. When I try to test it the screen turns some funny
              > > colors and then dies. If I choose not to test and accept it's values
              > > and startx the screen just goes blank. I have tried all resolutions
              > and
              > > color depths with the same results. I also tried the fix mentioned
              in
              as
              > > how to fix this? I was never able to get it working properly with
              the
              > > CPi400GT w/NeoMagic 256ZX either. Thanks

            • Jim Brown
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 13, 2000
                I was able to get the new Xfree86 3.3.6 mach 64 X server from the
                Xfree86 ftp site and install it in place of the 3.3.5 mach 64 binary.
                Xconfigurator successfully found the rage pro mobility and generated an
                XF86Config file that worked. I could not get 24 bit or 32 bit to work
                but 16 bit seems ok

                =373