Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Looking to get a new dell.. but which one?

  • ken
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 22, 2005
      Peter Nunn wrote:
      > Hi guys...
      >
      > looking to update this latitude cpx and am wondering what you would
      > advise...
      >
      > I have recently upgraded the batteries in the thing so something at
      > uses the
      > same batteries would be good I guess (and the same docking system if
      > possible).
      >
      > Would like something with more grunt than the cpx, but that would go
      > for a
      > while on 2 batteries..
      >
      > And run linux obviously...
      >
      > Any ideas?
      >
      > Thanks..

      I have no way of knowing which batteries and docking station you have,
      so can't address that issue.

      One hardware item that saves battery time is Intel's Mobile technology
      found in their "M" series CPUs. When not under heavy load, the CPU
      speed lowers itself. Mine, a 1600MHz CPU, typically runs at 800MHz,
      rising when the need arises, e.g., when compiling a large program. The
      speed at which the CPU runs by default is configurable and via software
      knows when it is running off battery or mains and can adjust itself,
      e.g., to run at full speed all the time when not on batteries.