ata-piix and cdrom

  • Sandro Dentella
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 10, 2005
      I have a Latitude D610 with a sata controller. under Linux that controller
      is seen with ahci/ata_piix.

      I don/t understand how should I see the cdrom: using Ubunto kernel I see it
      regularly but if I use any other kernel I get:

      root@bluff:~# mount /cdrom
      mount: special device /dev/scd0 does not exist

      Does anybody know what should I do to see it?

      thanks
      sandro
      *:-)

      --
      Sandro Dentella *:-)
      e-mail: sandro@...
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 10, 2005
        try
        ls -l /dev/cdrom
        that should give you the device that your cd points to...
        (you'll see something like /dev/cdrom -> /dev/sdb)
        also, as far as I know the sata controller for cdroms is not part of any official kernel distribution yet, but is available as an external patch that you can apply and recompile the kernel.

        Although the cdrom operates in default mode, it's not as fast as sata should be, as DMA etc is not enabled unless you apply the sata patch

        --Vav

        Sandro Dentella <sandro@...> wrote:
        I have a Latitude D610 with a sata controller. under Linux that controller
        is seen with ahci/ata_piix.

        I don/t understand how should I see the cdrom: using Ubunto kernel I see it
        regularly but if I use any other kernel I get:

        root@bluff:~# mount /cdrom
        mount: special device /dev/scd0 does not exist

        Does anybody know what should I do to see it?

        thanks
        sandro
        *:-)

        --
        Sandro Dentella  *:-)
        e-mail: sandro@...
        http://www.tksql.org                    TkSQL Home page - My GPL work

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Joakim Olsson
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 10, 2005
          Get the kernel sources for 2.6.x, unpack them, edit
          include/linux/libata.h and change the line #undef ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI to
          #define ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI and compile your own kernel.

          Best regards,
          Joakim

          Sandro Dentella wrote:

          >I have a Latitude D610 with a sata controller. under Linux that controller
          >is seen with ahci/ata_piix.
          >
          >I don/t understand how should I see the cdrom: using Ubunto kernel I see it
          >regularly but if I use any other kernel I get:
          >
          >root@bluff:~# mount /cdrom
          >mount: special device /dev/scd0 does not exist
          >
          >Does anybody know what should I do to see it?
          >
          >thanks
          >sandro
          >*:-)

        • Sandro Dentella
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 11, 2005
            On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 07:10:05AM +0200, Joakim Olsson wrote:
            > Get the kernel sources for 2.6.x, unpack them, edit
            > include/linux/libata.h and change the line #undef ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI to
            > #define ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI and compile your own kernel.

            Thanks a lot, this solved the problem!

            *:-)