Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: partition setup

  • Douglas S. Oliver
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 8, 2005
      That looks to me like different drives not partitions. I would expect

      primary partitions
      hda1
      hda2
      hda3
      hda4

      logical partitions off of one of the above primaries
      hda5
      hda6
      etc

      hdc --often cdrom

      One of my other linux/win boxes has two hard drives. Linux is on hdb with windows on hda.
      Later I added another linux partiton on hda, so I had

      hda1=win98
      hda2=extended partition holding linux partitions above hda4
      hda3=swap
      hda4=root

      hdb=dedicated linux drive with its own partitions

      hdb1
      hdb2
      etc

      My i8600 has dell DE partiton at hda1
      hda2 is winxp
      hda3=extended holding hda5+
      hda4=root

      This is from memory, since I'm actually sitting at my iBook. My linux distros are RH9 and Slackware 10.1. RH9 uses GRUB and Slack uses LILO. They each have their own naming conventions. For example hda1 in lilo is (hd0,0) in grub. Grub starts counting from 0 not 1. The MBR sectors are hda and (hd0) respectively.

      I have to say that I'm always amazed at how much I still don't know. I think Debian uses something like the naming convention like given below with hda hdb hdc hdd hde and so on. I think that might be in fstab though as opposed to what lilo and grub do. I just don't know. -- douglas

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 8, 2005
        Respondiendo a Vaibhav Vaidya [Re: [linux-dell-laptops] partition setup], del 07 de agosto de 2005 a las 22:17:47 (-0700)

        > I'd say keep swaps separate... you might have
        > hibernate problems if you mistakenly boot the other OS
        > on restart... just a thought...

        Of course!

        Also, you may create an extended partition and leave some space in
        without partitioning until the system has been run for some time and
        needs are more clear.

        Then, for example, you will be able to make a partition for the home
        of an user or for /usr/local and symlink it to the main tree.

        Even more, this can be good for migration or backups proposes.

        Ángel.

        --
        ibericovespucio
        @...

        "Es de importancia para quien desee alcanzar una certeza en su
        investigación, el saber dudar a tiempo." -- Aristóteles.
        --------------->8---------------------------------------------------
      • Herman
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 8, 2005
          IbericoVespucio wrote:
          > Respondiendo a Vaibhav Vaidya [Re: [linux-dell-laptops] partition setup], del 07 de agosto de 2005 a las 22:17:47 (-0700)
          >

          >>I'd say keep swaps separate... you might have
          >>hibernate problems if you mistakenly boot the other OS
          >>on restart... just a thought...

          The suspend2 system can also suspend to a file. It doesn't have to use
          the swap space.

          Cheers,

          H.
        • Haedn Thorn
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 8, 2005
            --- "Douglas S. Oliver" <dsoliver@...> wrote:

            > This is a question/response in ignorance. Do linux and windows use the same
            > partitiion type for swap? I think linux is 82 or 83. In other words, would
            > they both be able to use a shared file system type for swap. They both might
            > be able to read it, but use it as swap?

            By default Windows uses a file on your "C:" drive. It can be made to use a
            dedicated partition.
          • Herman
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 8, 2005
              Haedn Thorn wrote:

              > --- "Douglas S. Oliver" <dsoliver@...> wrote:
              >

              >>This is a question/response in ignorance. Do linux and windows use the same
              >>partitiion type for swap? I think linux is 82 or 83. In other words, would
              >>they both be able to use a shared file system type for swap. They both might
              >>be able to read it, but use it as swap?

              Windows cannot read/write other file systems, but its own - unless you
              install 3rd party drivers.

              However, Linux can read/write almost anything. The Linux NTFS file
              system is still under heavy development and most distributions only
              allow read access to NTFS, but if you get the latest version from the
              project page, then it can read and write NTFS.

              Cheers,

              H.