Re: [linux-dell-laptops] partition setup

  • Don Becker
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 8, 2005
      On 8/8/05, Douglas S. Oliver <dsoliver@...> wrote:
      > This is a question/response in ignorance. Do linux and windows use the same partitiion type for swap? I think linux is 82 or 83. In other words, would they both be able to use a shared file system type for swap. They both might be able to read it, but use it as swap?

      Nope - Windows uses a swap file, not a swap partition.

      --Don

      --
      Don Becker
      don.becker@...
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 8, 2005
        That looks to me like different drives not partitions. I would expect

        primary partitions
        hda1
        hda2
        hda3
        hda4

        logical partitions off of one of the above primaries
        hda5
        hda6
        etc

        hdc --often cdrom

        One of my other linux/win boxes has two hard drives. Linux is on hdb with windows on hda.
        Later I added another linux partiton on hda, so I had

        hda1=win98
        hda2=extended partition holding linux partitions above hda4
        hda3=swap
        hda4=root

        hdb=dedicated linux drive with its own partitions

        hdb1
        hdb2
        etc

        My i8600 has dell DE partiton at hda1
        hda2 is winxp
        hda3=extended holding hda5+
        hda4=root

        This is from memory, since I'm actually sitting at my iBook. My linux distros are RH9 and Slackware 10.1. RH9 uses GRUB and Slack uses LILO. They each have their own naming conventions. For example hda1 in lilo is (hd0,0) in grub. Grub starts counting from 0 not 1. The MBR sectors are hda and (hd0) respectively.

        I have to say that I'm always amazed at how much I still don't know. I think Debian uses something like the naming convention like given below with hda hdb hdc hdd hde and so on. I think that might be in fstab though as opposed to what lilo and grub do. I just don't know. -- douglas

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 8, 2005
          Respondiendo a Vaibhav Vaidya [Re: [linux-dell-laptops] partition setup], del 07 de agosto de 2005 a las 22:17:47 (-0700)

          > I'd say keep swaps separate... you might have
          > hibernate problems if you mistakenly boot the other OS
          > on restart... just a thought...

          Of course!

          Also, you may create an extended partition and leave some space in
          without partitioning until the system has been run for some time and
          needs are more clear.

          Then, for example, you will be able to make a partition for the home
          of an user or for /usr/local and symlink it to the main tree.

          Even more, this can be good for migration or backups proposes.

          Ángel.

          --
          ibericovespucio
          @...

          "Es de importancia para quien desee alcanzar una certeza en su
          investigación, el saber dudar a tiempo." -- Aristóteles.
          --------------->8---------------------------------------------------
        • Herman
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 8, 2005
            IbericoVespucio wrote:
            > Respondiendo a Vaibhav Vaidya [Re: [linux-dell-laptops] partition setup], del 07 de agosto de 2005 a las 22:17:47 (-0700)
            >

            >>I'd say keep swaps separate... you might have
            >>hibernate problems if you mistakenly boot the other OS
            >>on restart... just a thought...

            The suspend2 system can also suspend to a file. It doesn't have to use
            the swap space.

            Cheers,

            H.
          • Haedn Thorn
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 8, 2005
              --- "Douglas S. Oliver" <dsoliver@...> wrote:

              > This is a question/response in ignorance. Do linux and windows use the same
              > partitiion type for swap? I think linux is 82 or 83. In other words, would
              > they both be able to use a shared file system type for swap. They both might
              > be able to read it, but use it as swap?

              By default Windows uses a file on your "C:" drive. It can be made to use a
              dedicated partition.
            • Herman
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 8, 2005
                Haedn Thorn wrote:

                > --- "Douglas S. Oliver" <dsoliver@...> wrote:
                >

                >>This is a question/response in ignorance. Do linux and windows use the same
                >>partitiion type for swap? I think linux is 82 or 83. In other words, would
                >>they both be able to use a shared file system type for swap. They both might
                >>be able to read it, but use it as swap?

                Windows cannot read/write other file systems, but its own - unless you
                install 3rd party drivers.

                However, Linux can read/write almost anything. The Linux NTFS file
                system is still under heavy development and most distributions only
                allow read access to NTFS, but if you get the latest version from the
                project page, then it can read and write NTFS.

                Cheers,

                H.