Re: [linux-dell-laptops] partition setup

  • Haedn Thorn
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 7, 2005
      --- Manoj Rajagopalan <rmanoj@...> wrote:

      > this looks good. I might suggest you keep a 1GB partition in FAT
      > format as temporary storage for files to be transferred between Linux
      > and Windows partitions between reboots. FYI, at best, linux has
      > read-only access to NTFS partitions.

      I assumed the proposed 29GB partition would be FAT32. And while I'm mentioning
      it, something a lot of people don't know about FAT32: you aren't really limited
      to 32GB, that is an artificial limitation imposed by Mr Gates. You can create a
      partition of any size using Linux and then format the FAT32 partition with XP.
      I have a 160GB which I formated as ONE FAT32 partition to ease transfers
      between all my computers. I previously had it formated as NTFS, but I didn't
      manage to get writing working under Linux.
    • Vaibhav Vaidya
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 7, 2005
        I'd say keep swaps separate... you might have
        hibernate problems if you mistakenly boot the other OS
        on restart... just a thought...
        what say you linux gurus?

        if you want the other partition as ntfs, then i
        believe there's a e2fs browser available for
        windows... they were going to include write support
        also, so that's an option if linux only reads ntfs.

        --Vaibhav
        --- Haedn Thorn <lordhaedn@...> wrote:

        > --- Manoj Rajagopalan <rmanoj@...>
        > wrote:
        >
        > > this looks good. I might suggest you keep a 1GB
        > partition in FAT
        > > format as temporary storage for files to be
        > transferred between Linux
        > > and Windows partitions between reboots. FYI, at
        > best, linux has
        > > read-only access to NTFS partitions.
        >
        > I assumed the proposed 29GB partition would be
        > FAT32. And while I'm mentioning
        > it, something a lot of people don't know about
        > FAT32: you aren't really limited
        > to 32GB, that is an artificial limitation imposed by
        > Mr Gates. You can create a
        > partition of any size using Linux and then format
        > the FAT32 partition with XP.
        > I have a 160GB which I formated as ONE FAT32
        > partition to ease transfers
        > between all my computers. I previously had it
        > formated as NTFS, but I didn't
        > manage to get writing working under Linux.

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • Stephen Davies
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 8, 2005
          As has been mentioned,

          1) keep the two swap partitions separate. Linux by default uses a
          complete partition that is not filesystem formatted.
          2) Make your sharable partition FAT32 and mount it under linux using an
          entry in FSTAB

          I have a dual boot layout of my Inspiron 8600. Here is its partition layout

          hda 100Mb /boot
          hdb 24Gb Windows XP C: Drive
          hdc 24Gb Shared Data Partition - FAT32 XP D: Drive
          hdd rest of disk (approx 32Gb)
          hde 4Gb / (Root)
          hdf 2Gb Swap
          hdg 8Gb /usr
          hdh 4Gb /var
          hdi 14Gb /home

          I use a 2GB Linux Swap as I have 2GB of RAM and I run Eclipse, Oracle,
          DB2 & Websphere Application Server on it.

          /Steve
        • Douglas S. Oliver
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 8, 2005
            This is a question/response in ignorance. Do linux and windows use the same partitiion type for swap? I think linux is 82 or 83. In other words, would they both be able to use a shared file system type for swap. They both might be able to read it, but use it as swap?

            --Douglas

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 8, 2005
              On 8/8/05, Douglas S. Oliver <dsoliver@...> wrote:
              > This is a question/response in ignorance. Do linux and windows use the same partitiion type for swap? I think linux is 82 or 83. In other words, would they both be able to use a shared file system type for swap. They both might be able to read it, but use it as swap?

              Nope - Windows uses a swap file, not a swap partition.

              --Don

              --
              Don Becker
              don.becker@...
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 8, 2005
                That looks to me like different drives not partitions. I would expect

                primary partitions
                hda1
                hda2
                hda3
                hda4

                logical partitions off of one of the above primaries
                hda5
                hda6
                etc

                hdc --often cdrom

                One of my other linux/win boxes has two hard drives. Linux is on hdb with windows on hda.
                Later I added another linux partiton on hda, so I had

                hda1=win98
                hda2=extended partition holding linux partitions above hda4
                hda3=swap
                hda4=root

                hdb=dedicated linux drive with its own partitions

                hdb1
                hdb2
                etc

                My i8600 has dell DE partiton at hda1
                hda2 is winxp
                hda3=extended holding hda5+
                hda4=root

                This is from memory, since I'm actually sitting at my iBook. My linux distros are RH9 and Slackware 10.1. RH9 uses GRUB and Slack uses LILO. They each have their own naming conventions. For example hda1 in lilo is (hd0,0) in grub. Grub starts counting from 0 not 1. The MBR sectors are hda and (hd0) respectively.

                I have to say that I'm always amazed at how much I still don't know. I think Debian uses something like the naming convention like given below with hda hdb hdc hdd hde and so on. I think that might be in fstab though as opposed to what lilo and grub do. I just don't know. -- douglas

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 8, 2005
                  Respondiendo a Vaibhav Vaidya [Re: [linux-dell-laptops] partition setup], del 07 de agosto de 2005 a las 22:17:47 (-0700)

                  > I'd say keep swaps separate... you might have
                  > hibernate problems if you mistakenly boot the other OS
                  > on restart... just a thought...

                  Of course!

                  Also, you may create an extended partition and leave some space in
                  without partitioning until the system has been run for some time and
                  needs are more clear.

                  Then, for example, you will be able to make a partition for the home
                  of an user or for /usr/local and symlink it to the main tree.

                  Even more, this can be good for migration or backups proposes.

                  Ángel.

                  --
                  ibericovespucio
                  @...

                  "Es de importancia para quien desee alcanzar una certeza en su
                  investigación, el saber dudar a tiempo." -- Aristóteles.
                  --------------->8---------------------------------------------------
                • Herman
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 8, 2005
                    IbericoVespucio wrote:
                    > Respondiendo a Vaibhav Vaidya [Re: [linux-dell-laptops] partition setup], del 07 de agosto de 2005 a las 22:17:47 (-0700)
                    >

                    >>I'd say keep swaps separate... you might have
                    >>hibernate problems if you mistakenly boot the other OS
                    >>on restart... just a thought...

                    The suspend2 system can also suspend to a file. It doesn't have to use
                    the swap space.

                    Cheers,

                    H.
                  • Haedn Thorn
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 8, 2005
                      --- "Douglas S. Oliver" <dsoliver@...> wrote:

                      > This is a question/response in ignorance. Do linux and windows use the same
                      > partitiion type for swap? I think linux is 82 or 83. In other words, would
                      > they both be able to use a shared file system type for swap. They both might
                      > be able to read it, but use it as swap?

                      By default Windows uses a file on your "C:" drive. It can be made to use a
                      dedicated partition.
                    • Herman
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 8, 2005
                        Haedn Thorn wrote:

                        > --- "Douglas S. Oliver" <dsoliver@...> wrote:
                        >

                        >>This is a question/response in ignorance. Do linux and windows use the same
                        >>partitiion type for swap? I think linux is 82 or 83. In other words, would
                        >>they both be able to use a shared file system type for swap. They both might
                        >>be able to read it, but use it as swap?

                        Windows cannot read/write other file systems, but its own - unless you
                        install 3rd party drivers.

                        However, Linux can read/write almost anything. The Linux NTFS file
                        system is still under heavy development and most distributions only
                        allow read access to NTFS, but if you get the latest version from the
                        project page, then it can read and write NTFS.

                        Cheers,

                        H.