Re: [linux-dell-laptops] partition setup

  • Manoj Rajagopalan
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 7 3:22 PM
      Hi

      this looks good. I might suggest you keep a 1GB partition in FAT
      format as temporary storage for files to be transferred between Linux
      and Windows partitions between reboots. FYI, at best, linux has
      read-only access to NTFS partitions.

      cheers
      Manoj

      Pawel Drapala wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I would like to setup the following configuration on
      > my 700m laptop (60G storage). The partitions will look
      > as follows:
      >
      > - 15G: Windows XP and all Windows software
      > - 15G: FC4 Linux and all Linux software
      > - 29G: All documets storage, to be accesses and
      > modified by either XP or FC4 (depending on the boot)
      > - 1G: SWAP for both XP and FC4
      >
      > What do you think? Is setting things up this way even
      > realistic? Thx.

    • Haedn Thorn
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 7 4:17 PM
        --- Pawel Drapala <pwdrapala@...> wrote:

        > I would like to setup the following configuration on
        > my 700m laptop (60G storage). The partitions will look
        > as follows:
        >
        > - 15G: Windows XP and all Windows software
        > - 15G: FC4 Linux and all Linux software
        > - 29G: All documets storage, to be accesses and
        > modified by either XP or FC4 (depending on the boot)
        > - 1G: SWAP for both XP and FC4
        >
        > What do you think? Is setting things up this way even
        > realistic? Thx.

        Sounds reasonable, however I prefer to make my swap the first partition.
      • Haedn Thorn
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 7 4:24 PM
          --- Manoj Rajagopalan <rmanoj@...> wrote:

          > this looks good. I might suggest you keep a 1GB partition in FAT
          > format as temporary storage for files to be transferred between Linux
          > and Windows partitions between reboots. FYI, at best, linux has
          > read-only access to NTFS partitions.

          I assumed the proposed 29GB partition would be FAT32. And while I'm mentioning
          it, something a lot of people don't know about FAT32: you aren't really limited
          to 32GB, that is an artificial limitation imposed by Mr Gates. You can create a
          partition of any size using Linux and then format the FAT32 partition with XP.
          I have a 160GB which I formated as ONE FAT32 partition to ease transfers
          between all my computers. I previously had it formated as NTFS, but I didn't
          manage to get writing working under Linux.
        • Vaibhav Vaidya
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 7 10:17 PM
            I'd say keep swaps separate... you might have
            hibernate problems if you mistakenly boot the other OS
            on restart... just a thought...
            what say you linux gurus?

            if you want the other partition as ntfs, then i
            believe there's a e2fs browser available for
            windows... they were going to include write support
            also, so that's an option if linux only reads ntfs.

            --Vaibhav
            --- Haedn Thorn <lordhaedn@...> wrote:

            > --- Manoj Rajagopalan <rmanoj@...>
            > wrote:
            >
            > > this looks good. I might suggest you keep a 1GB
            > partition in FAT
            > > format as temporary storage for files to be
            > transferred between Linux
            > > and Windows partitions between reboots. FYI, at
            > best, linux has
            > > read-only access to NTFS partitions.
            >
            > I assumed the proposed 29GB partition would be
            > FAT32. And while I'm mentioning
            > it, something a lot of people don't know about
            > FAT32: you aren't really limited
            > to 32GB, that is an artificial limitation imposed by
            > Mr Gates. You can create a
            > partition of any size using Linux and then format
            > the FAT32 partition with XP.
            > I have a 160GB which I formated as ONE FAT32
            > partition to ease transfers
            > between all my computers. I previously had it
            > formated as NTFS, but I didn't
            > manage to get writing working under Linux.

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          • Stephen Davies
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 8 7:25 AM
              As has been mentioned,

              1) keep the two swap partitions separate. Linux by default uses a
              complete partition that is not filesystem formatted.
              2) Make your sharable partition FAT32 and mount it under linux using an
              entry in FSTAB

              I have a dual boot layout of my Inspiron 8600. Here is its partition layout

              hda 100Mb /boot
              hdb 24Gb Windows XP C: Drive
              hdc 24Gb Shared Data Partition - FAT32 XP D: Drive
              hdd rest of disk (approx 32Gb)
              hde 4Gb / (Root)
              hdf 2Gb Swap
              hdg 8Gb /usr
              hdh 4Gb /var
              hdi 14Gb /home

              I use a 2GB Linux Swap as I have 2GB of RAM and I run Eclipse, Oracle,
              DB2 & Websphere Application Server on it.

              /Steve
            • Douglas S. Oliver
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 8 8:44 AM
                This is a question/response in ignorance. Do linux and windows use the same partitiion type for swap? I think linux is 82 or 83. In other words, would they both be able to use a shared file system type for swap. They both might be able to read it, but use it as swap?

                --Douglas

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 8 8:51 AM
                  On 8/8/05, Douglas S. Oliver <dsoliver@...> wrote:
                  > This is a question/response in ignorance. Do linux and windows use the same partitiion type for swap? I think linux is 82 or 83. In other words, would they both be able to use a shared file system type for swap. They both might be able to read it, but use it as swap?

                  Nope - Windows uses a swap file, not a swap partition.

                  --Don

                  --
                  Don Becker
                  don.becker@...
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 8 9:24 AM
                    That looks to me like different drives not partitions. I would expect

                    primary partitions
                    hda1
                    hda2
                    hda3
                    hda4

                    logical partitions off of one of the above primaries
                    hda5
                    hda6
                    etc

                    hdc --often cdrom

                    One of my other linux/win boxes has two hard drives. Linux is on hdb with windows on hda.
                    Later I added another linux partiton on hda, so I had

                    hda1=win98
                    hda2=extended partition holding linux partitions above hda4
                    hda3=swap
                    hda4=root

                    hdb=dedicated linux drive with its own partitions

                    hdb1
                    hdb2
                    etc

                    My i8600 has dell DE partiton at hda1
                    hda2 is winxp
                    hda3=extended holding hda5+
                    hda4=root

                    This is from memory, since I'm actually sitting at my iBook. My linux distros are RH9 and Slackware 10.1. RH9 uses GRUB and Slack uses LILO. They each have their own naming conventions. For example hda1 in lilo is (hd0,0) in grub. Grub starts counting from 0 not 1. The MBR sectors are hda and (hd0) respectively.

                    I have to say that I'm always amazed at how much I still don't know. I think Debian uses something like the naming convention like given below with hda hdb hdc hdd hde and so on. I think that might be in fstab though as opposed to what lilo and grub do. I just don't know. -- douglas

                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 8 10:31 AM
                      Respondiendo a Vaibhav Vaidya [Re: [linux-dell-laptops] partition setup], del 07 de agosto de 2005 a las 22:17:47 (-0700)

                      > I'd say keep swaps separate... you might have
                      > hibernate problems if you mistakenly boot the other OS
                      > on restart... just a thought...

                      Of course!

                      Also, you may create an extended partition and leave some space in
                      without partitioning until the system has been run for some time and
                      needs are more clear.

                      Then, for example, you will be able to make a partition for the home
                      of an user or for /usr/local and symlink it to the main tree.

                      Even more, this can be good for migration or backups proposes.

                      Ángel.

                      --
                      ibericovespucio
                      @...

                      "Es de importancia para quien desee alcanzar una certeza en su
                      investigación, el saber dudar a tiempo." -- Aristóteles.
                      --------------->8---------------------------------------------------
                    • Herman
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 8 10:38 AM
                        IbericoVespucio wrote:
                        > Respondiendo a Vaibhav Vaidya [Re: [linux-dell-laptops] partition setup], del 07 de agosto de 2005 a las 22:17:47 (-0700)
                        >

                        >>I'd say keep swaps separate... you might have
                        >>hibernate problems if you mistakenly boot the other OS
                        >>on restart... just a thought...

                        The suspend2 system can also suspend to a file. It doesn't have to use
                        the swap space.

                        Cheers,

                        H.
                      • Haedn Thorn
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 8 11:53 AM
                          --- "Douglas S. Oliver" <dsoliver@...> wrote:

                          > This is a question/response in ignorance. Do linux and windows use the same
                          > partitiion type for swap? I think linux is 82 or 83. In other words, would
                          > they both be able to use a shared file system type for swap. They both might
                          > be able to read it, but use it as swap?

                          By default Windows uses a file on your "C:" drive. It can be made to use a
                          dedicated partition.
                        • Herman
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 8 1:32 PM
                            Haedn Thorn wrote:

                            > --- "Douglas S. Oliver" <dsoliver@...> wrote:
                            >

                            >>This is a question/response in ignorance. Do linux and windows use the same
                            >>partitiion type for swap? I think linux is 82 or 83. In other words, would
                            >>they both be able to use a shared file system type for swap. They both might
                            >>be able to read it, but use it as swap?

                            Windows cannot read/write other file systems, but its own - unless you
                            install 3rd party drivers.

                            However, Linux can read/write almost anything. The Linux NTFS file
                            system is still under heavy development and most distributions only
                            allow read access to NTFS, but if you get the latest version from the
                            project page, then it can read and write NTFS.

                            Cheers,

                            H.