An nVidia/Sax issue I need help with

  • Marc Chamberlin
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 5 3:16 PM
      Hello -

      I am running SuSE9.2 on a Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop. I was trying to get
      3D support going and in a round-about manner discovered my nVidia driver
      apparently was not current. So I used YOU (SuSE's Yast Online Updater)
      to update it as per instructions found on nVidia's and SuSE web sites.
      This certainly made a difference in my 3D performance (Gears
      xscreensaver for example doubled its speed from 20FPS to around 40FPS)

      However, I now got a couple of new problems and I can't figure out how
      to resolve it. First the display size is slightly off in the height, but
      width is OK. To be more specific the display seems to be about a quarter
      of an inch greater in height now than the actual physical size of my
      laptops screen. This means I have to move the mouse up to the top or
      down to the bottom in order to shift the display and bring the portion
      that is truncated back into the display. Rather weird I know....

      The second issue is more serious. The display of color images is now
      seriously degraded, as if I have only 8 or 16 bit color. Even though in
      Sax2 it reports I have it set for 24bit color. I can't seem to find any
      other setting that will fix this...

      One thing I have tried is to use Sax to turn off the 3D acceleration
      support. That resulted in SAX saying it was going to unload the nVidia
      drivers, which I told it to go ahead an do. On reboot, the screen
      display came back ok including both the height of the display and the
      color rendering of images, but of course no 3D acceleration.

      I then reloaded the nVidia drivers via YOU and the symptoms came back,
      so I think that is a pretty good smoking gun that there is something
      wrong with the nVidia drivers???

      Anyone got any ideas on how I should proceed? How do I get 3D
      acceleration to work and the display/color rendering to also work?

      Some additional info that may help, I have no idea what this stuff all
      means but reading other posts it seems to be important to someone so
      will toss in --

      Marc...

      marcslaptop:/usr/lib/xscreensaver # 3Ddiag
      3Ddiag version 0.722
      Verifying 3D configuration:
      Using 3dinfo

      Verifying 3D configuration for 3D board "nVidia Corporation GeForce2 Go
      (10de@0112)":

      Verifying driver installation:
      nvidia ... done.

      Tests for X.Org configuration:
      Config File /etc/X11/XF86Config ... done.
      Driver ... done.
      Extensions ... done.
      Options ... done.

      Checking GL/GLU/glut runtime configuration:
      GL/GLU ... done (package xorg-x11-Mesa)
      glut ... done (package freeglut)

      -------------------------
      marcslaptop:/usr/lib/xscreensaver # glxinfo
      name of display: :0.0
      display: :0 screen: 0
      direct rendering: Yes
      server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
      server glx version string: 1.3
      server glx extensions:
      GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,
      GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGI_video_sync, GLX_SGI_swap_control
      client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
      client glx version string: 1.3
      client glx extensions:
      GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_visual_info,
      GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_SGI_video_sync,
      GLX_NV_swap_group, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_pbuffer,
      GLX_SGI_swap_control, GLX_NV_float_buffer
      GLX extensions:
      GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,
      GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGI_video_sync, GLX_SGI_swap_control,
      GLX_ARB_get_proc_address
      OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
      OpenGL renderer string: GeForce2 MX/AGP/SSE
      OpenGL version string: 1.5.1 NVIDIA 61.11
      OpenGL extensions:
      GL_ARB_imaging, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_ARB_point_parameters,
      GL_ARB_point_sprite, GL_ARB_shader_objects, GL_ARB_shading_language_100,
      GL_ARB_texture_compression, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map,
      GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine,
      GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat,
      GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object,
      GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_ARB_vertex_shader, GL_ARB_window_pos,
      GL_S3_s3tc, GL_EXT_texture_env_add, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_EXT_bgra,
      GL_EXT_blend_color, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_EXT_blend_subtract,
      GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint, GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array,
      GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, GL_EXT_fog_coord, GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays,
      GL_EXT_packed_pixels, GL_EXT_paletted_texture,
      GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object,
      GL_EXT_point_parameters, GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_EXT_secondary_color,
      GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_EXT_shared_texture_palette,
      GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc,
      GL_EXT_texture_cube_map, GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp,
      GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3,
      GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic, GL_EXT_texture_lod,
      GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, GL_EXT_texture_object, GL_EXT_vertex_array,
      GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip, GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat,
      GL_KTX_buffer_region, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_NV_fence,
      GL_NV_fog_distance, GL_NV_light_max_exponent,
      GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil,
      GL_NV_pixel_data_range, GL_NV_point_sprite, GL_NV_register_combiners,
      GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_NV_texture_env_combine4,
      GL_NV_texture_rectangle, GL_NV_vertex_array_range,
      GL_NV_vertex_array_range2, GL_NV_vertex_program,
      GL_NV_vertex_program1_1,
      GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, GL_SGIS_multitexture, GL_SGIS_texture_lod,
      GL_SUN_slice_accum
      glu version: 1.3
      glu extensions:
      GLU_EXT_nurbs_tessellator, GLU_EXT_object_space_tess

      visual x bf lv rg d st colorbuffer ax dp st accumbuffer ms cav
      id dep cl sp sz l ci b ro r g b a bf th cl r g b a ns b eat
      0x21 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 0 24 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
      0x22 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 0 24 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
      0x23 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 0 24 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
      0x24 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 0 24 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
      0x25 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 0 24 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
      0x26 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 0 16 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
      0x27 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 0 16 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
      0x28 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 0 16 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
      0x29 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 0 16 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
      0x2a 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 0 0 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
      0x2b 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 0 0 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
      0x2c 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 0 0 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
      0x2d 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 0 0 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
      0x2e 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 0 24 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
      0x2f 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 0 24 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
      0x30 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 0 24 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
      0x31 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 0 16 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
      0x32 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 0 16 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
      0x33 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 0 16 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
      0x34 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 0 16 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
      0x35 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 0 0 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
      0x36 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 0 0 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
      0x37 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 0 0 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
      0x38 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 0 0 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
    • Pawel Drapala
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 7 2:58 PM

        I would like to setup the following configuration on
        my 700m laptop (60G storage). The partitions will look
        as follows:

        - 15G: Windows XP and all Windows software
        - 15G: FC4 Linux and all Linux software
        - 29G: All documets storage, to be accesses and
        modified by either XP or FC4 (depending on the boot)
        - 1G: SWAP for both XP and FC4

        What do you think? Is setting things up this way even
        realistic? Thx.

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • Manoj Rajagopalan
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 7 3:22 PM
          Hi

          this looks good. I might suggest you keep a 1GB partition in FAT
          format as temporary storage for files to be transferred between Linux
          and Windows partitions between reboots. FYI, at best, linux has
          read-only access to NTFS partitions.

          cheers
          Manoj

          Pawel Drapala wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I would like to setup the following configuration on
          > my 700m laptop (60G storage). The partitions will look
          > as follows:
          >
          > - 15G: Windows XP and all Windows software
          > - 15G: FC4 Linux and all Linux software
          > - 29G: All documets storage, to be accesses and
          > modified by either XP or FC4 (depending on the boot)
          > - 1G: SWAP for both XP and FC4
          >
          > What do you think? Is setting things up this way even
          > realistic? Thx.

        • Haedn Thorn
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 7 4:17 PM
            --- Pawel Drapala <pwdrapala@...> wrote:

            > I would like to setup the following configuration on
            > my 700m laptop (60G storage). The partitions will look
            > as follows:
            >
            > - 15G: Windows XP and all Windows software
            > - 15G: FC4 Linux and all Linux software
            > - 29G: All documets storage, to be accesses and
            > modified by either XP or FC4 (depending on the boot)
            > - 1G: SWAP for both XP and FC4
            >
            > What do you think? Is setting things up this way even
            > realistic? Thx.

            Sounds reasonable, however I prefer to make my swap the first partition.
          • Haedn Thorn
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 7 4:24 PM
              --- Manoj Rajagopalan <rmanoj@...> wrote:

              > this looks good. I might suggest you keep a 1GB partition in FAT
              > format as temporary storage for files to be transferred between Linux
              > and Windows partitions between reboots. FYI, at best, linux has
              > read-only access to NTFS partitions.

              I assumed the proposed 29GB partition would be FAT32. And while I'm mentioning
              it, something a lot of people don't know about FAT32: you aren't really limited
              to 32GB, that is an artificial limitation imposed by Mr Gates. You can create a
              partition of any size using Linux and then format the FAT32 partition with XP.
              I have a 160GB which I formated as ONE FAT32 partition to ease transfers
              between all my computers. I previously had it formated as NTFS, but I didn't
              manage to get writing working under Linux.
            • Vaibhav Vaidya
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 7 10:17 PM
                I'd say keep swaps separate... you might have
                hibernate problems if you mistakenly boot the other OS
                on restart... just a thought...
                what say you linux gurus?

                if you want the other partition as ntfs, then i
                believe there's a e2fs browser available for
                windows... they were going to include write support
                also, so that's an option if linux only reads ntfs.

                --Vaibhav
                --- Haedn Thorn <lordhaedn@...> wrote:

                > --- Manoj Rajagopalan <rmanoj@...>
                > wrote:
                >
                > > this looks good. I might suggest you keep a 1GB
                > partition in FAT
                > > format as temporary storage for files to be
                > transferred between Linux
                > > and Windows partitions between reboots. FYI, at
                > best, linux has
                > > read-only access to NTFS partitions.
                >
                > I assumed the proposed 29GB partition would be
                > FAT32. And while I'm mentioning
                > it, something a lot of people don't know about
                > FAT32: you aren't really limited
                > to 32GB, that is an artificial limitation imposed by
                > Mr Gates. You can create a
                > partition of any size using Linux and then format
                > the FAT32 partition with XP.
                > I have a 160GB which I formated as ONE FAT32
                > partition to ease transfers
                > between all my computers. I previously had it
                > formated as NTFS, but I didn't
                > manage to get writing working under Linux.

                http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
              • Stephen Davies
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 8 7:25 AM
                  As has been mentioned,

                  1) keep the two swap partitions separate. Linux by default uses a
                  complete partition that is not filesystem formatted.
                  2) Make your sharable partition FAT32 and mount it under linux using an
                  entry in FSTAB

                  I have a dual boot layout of my Inspiron 8600. Here is its partition layout

                  hda 100Mb /boot
                  hdb 24Gb Windows XP C: Drive
                  hdc 24Gb Shared Data Partition - FAT32 XP D: Drive
                  hdd rest of disk (approx 32Gb)
                  hde 4Gb / (Root)
                  hdf 2Gb Swap
                  hdg 8Gb /usr
                  hdh 4Gb /var
                  hdi 14Gb /home

                  I use a 2GB Linux Swap as I have 2GB of RAM and I run Eclipse, Oracle,
                  DB2 & Websphere Application Server on it.

                  /Steve
                • Douglas S. Oliver
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 8 8:44 AM
                    This is a question/response in ignorance. Do linux and windows use the same partitiion type for swap? I think linux is 82 or 83. In other words, would they both be able to use a shared file system type for swap. They both might be able to read it, but use it as swap?

                    --Douglas

                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 8 8:51 AM
                      On 8/8/05, Douglas S. Oliver <dsoliver@...> wrote:
                      > This is a question/response in ignorance. Do linux and windows use the same partitiion type for swap? I think linux is 82 or 83. In other words, would they both be able to use a shared file system type for swap. They both might be able to read it, but use it as swap?

                      Nope - Windows uses a swap file, not a swap partition.

                      --Don

                      --
                      Don Becker
                      don.becker@...
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 8 9:24 AM
                        That looks to me like different drives not partitions. I would expect

                        primary partitions
                        hda1
                        hda2
                        hda3
                        hda4

                        logical partitions off of one of the above primaries
                        hda5
                        hda6
                        etc

                        hdc --often cdrom

                        One of my other linux/win boxes has two hard drives. Linux is on hdb with windows on hda.
                        Later I added another linux partiton on hda, so I had

                        hda1=win98
                        hda2=extended partition holding linux partitions above hda4
                        hda3=swap
                        hda4=root

                        hdb=dedicated linux drive with its own partitions

                        hdb1
                        hdb2
                        etc

                        My i8600 has dell DE partiton at hda1
                        hda2 is winxp
                        hda3=extended holding hda5+
                        hda4=root

                        This is from memory, since I'm actually sitting at my iBook. My linux distros are RH9 and Slackware 10.1. RH9 uses GRUB and Slack uses LILO. They each have their own naming conventions. For example hda1 in lilo is (hd0,0) in grub. Grub starts counting from 0 not 1. The MBR sectors are hda and (hd0) respectively.

                        I have to say that I'm always amazed at how much I still don't know. I think Debian uses something like the naming convention like given below with hda hdb hdc hdd hde and so on. I think that might be in fstab though as opposed to what lilo and grub do. I just don't know. -- douglas

                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 8 10:31 AM
                          Respondiendo a Vaibhav Vaidya [Re: [linux-dell-laptops] partition setup], del 07 de agosto de 2005 a las 22:17:47 (-0700)

                          > I'd say keep swaps separate... you might have
                          > hibernate problems if you mistakenly boot the other OS
                          > on restart... just a thought...

                          Of course!

                          Also, you may create an extended partition and leave some space in
                          without partitioning until the system has been run for some time and
                          needs are more clear.

                          Then, for example, you will be able to make a partition for the home
                          of an user or for /usr/local and symlink it to the main tree.

                          Even more, this can be good for migration or backups proposes.

                          Ángel.

                          --
                          ibericovespucio
                          @...

                          "Es de importancia para quien desee alcanzar una certeza en su
                          investigación, el saber dudar a tiempo." -- Aristóteles.
                          --------------->8---------------------------------------------------
                        • Herman
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 8 10:38 AM
                            IbericoVespucio wrote:
                            > Respondiendo a Vaibhav Vaidya [Re: [linux-dell-laptops] partition setup], del 07 de agosto de 2005 a las 22:17:47 (-0700)
                            >

                            >>I'd say keep swaps separate... you might have
                            >>hibernate problems if you mistakenly boot the other OS
                            >>on restart... just a thought...

                            The suspend2 system can also suspend to a file. It doesn't have to use
                            the swap space.

                            Cheers,

                            H.
                          • Haedn Thorn
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 8 11:53 AM
                              --- "Douglas S. Oliver" <dsoliver@...> wrote:

                              > This is a question/response in ignorance. Do linux and windows use the same
                              > partitiion type for swap? I think linux is 82 or 83. In other words, would
                              > they both be able to use a shared file system type for swap. They both might
                              > be able to read it, but use it as swap?

                              By default Windows uses a file on your "C:" drive. It can be made to use a
                              dedicated partition.
                            • Herman
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 8 1:32 PM
                                Haedn Thorn wrote:

                                > --- "Douglas S. Oliver" <dsoliver@...> wrote:
                                >

                                >>This is a question/response in ignorance. Do linux and windows use the same
                                >>partitiion type for swap? I think linux is 82 or 83. In other words, would
                                >>they both be able to use a shared file system type for swap. They both might
                                >>be able to read it, but use it as swap?

                                Windows cannot read/write other file systems, but its own - unless you
                                install 3rd party drivers.

                                However, Linux can read/write almost anything. The Linux NTFS file
                                system is still under heavy development and most distributions only
                                allow read access to NTFS, but if you get the latest version from the
                                project page, then it can read and write NTFS.

                                Cheers,

                                H.