Re: Is there any video driver for Linux

  • Drencsan, Janos
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2005
      I also have a D510, and had the same issue. A while back, the driver
      was only available for Xorg and not XFree. I installed Xorg in Debian
      to replace XFree, so I could use the driver.Looking at the Intel
      support site, this seems to have changed. Now the driver is good for
      both Xorg and XFree.

      The driver is available on Intel's support site with directions on
      installation. Here is a direct link:
      http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-010512.htm

      If I have time I will try to install it today.

      If you got it to work, or you have some other issues, just drop a few
      lines at this group.

      Since we seem to be in the same boat ( Debian on Dell Latitude D510 )
      I would like to know if you had a chance to test wireless networking.
      Within a few months, I will need to use it, and I don't even know it
      it works.

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Yifeng Jin" <yjin@h...> wrote:
      > Hi everyone:
      >
      > I've installed debian sarge in my Dell Latitude D510. When
      configured Xfree86, I choose "vesa" as my video driver which is not
      very suitable I think. There is nvidia driver available for Linux, but
      how about my video card -- "Mobile Inter(R) 915GN/GMS,910GML Express
      Chipset Family"?

      > X window system works now, but looks bad with "vesa" driver.
      >
      > Does someone know about it
      >
      > hqking
      >
      > DELL Latitude D510
      > Debian sarge
    • Stephen Lau
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2005
        Use the "i810" driver.

        cheers,
        steve

        Yifeng Jin wrote:

        >Hi everyone:
        >
        >I've installed debian sarge in my Dell Latitude D510. When configured Xfree86, I choose "vesa" as my video driver which is not very suitable I think. There is nvidia driver available for Linux, but how about my video card -- "Mobile Inter(R) 915GN/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family"?
        >
        >X window system works now, but looks bad with "vesa" driver.
        >
        >Does someone know about it
        >
        >hqking
        >
        >DELL Latitude D510
        >Debian sarge

      • hq_king
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 5, 2005
          Hi Drencsan

          Thank you very much for your information. It helps me a lot.

          I tried wireless only a week before. It seems not very hard that Intel
          has already launched a project in sourceforge to provide techniqe
          support for their wireless card "Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG and
          2915ABG". here is website:
          http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/
          and debian also has its own package named "ipw2200-source"

          What we need to do is to follow their instructions, but I have not
          installed it. the first thing I have to do is recompiling a new kernel
          which will more suitable for my laptop. I am lack of experience, so
          the progress is slow.

          oh, I remenber that wireless card is not the default option (at lest
          in China). I chose it later. Your wireless adaptor may be different
          from mine.

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Drencsan, Janos"
          <janosdre@y...> wrote:
          > I also have a D510, and had the same issue. A while back, the driver
          > was only available for Xorg and not XFree. I installed Xorg in Debian
          > to replace XFree, so I could use the driver.Looking at the Intel
          > support site, this seems to have changed. Now the driver is good for
          > both Xorg and XFree.
          >
          > The driver is available on Intel's support site with directions on
          > installation. Here is a direct link:
          > http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-010512.htm
          >
          > If I have time I will try to install it today.
          >
          > If you got it to work, or you have some other issues, just drop a few
          > lines at this group.
          >
          > Since we seem to be in the same boat ( Debian on Dell Latitude D510 )
          > I would like to know if you had a chance to test wireless networking.
          > Within a few months, I will need to use it, and I don't even know it
          > it works.
          >
          > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Yifeng Jin" <yjin@h...>
          wrote:
          > > Hi everyone:
          > >
          > > I've installed debian sarge in my Dell Latitude D510. When
          > configured Xfree86, I choose "vesa" as my video driver which is not
          > very suitable I think. There is nvidia driver available for Linux, but
          > how about my video card -- "Mobile Inter(R) 915GN/GMS,910GML Express
          > Chipset Family"?
          > >
          > > X window system works now, but looks bad with "vesa" driver.
          > >
          > > Does someone know about it
          > >
          > > hqking
          > >
          > > DELL Latitude D510
          > > Debian sarge
        • Drencsan, Janos
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 12, 2005
            I'm just wandering if you got the driver working properly without any
            issues. I have trouble installing the driver I suggested to you. What
            was your experience with it ?