Is there any video driver for Linux

  • Yifeng Jin
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2005
      Hi everyone:

      I've installed debian sarge in my Dell Latitude D510. When configured Xfree86, I choose "vesa" as my video driver which is not very suitable I think. There is nvidia driver available for Linux, but how about my video card -- "Mobile Inter(R) 915GN/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family"?

      X window system works now, but looks bad with "vesa" driver.

      Does someone know about it

      hqking

      DELL Latitude D510
      Debian sarge
    • Drencsan, Janos
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2005
        I also have a D510, and had the same issue. A while back, the driver
        was only available for Xorg and not XFree. I installed Xorg in Debian
        to replace XFree, so I could use the driver.Looking at the Intel
        support site, this seems to have changed. Now the driver is good for
        both Xorg and XFree.

        The driver is available on Intel's support site with directions on
        installation. Here is a direct link:
        http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-010512.htm

        If I have time I will try to install it today.

        If you got it to work, or you have some other issues, just drop a few
        lines at this group.

        Since we seem to be in the same boat ( Debian on Dell Latitude D510 )
        I would like to know if you had a chance to test wireless networking.
        Within a few months, I will need to use it, and I don't even know it
        it works.

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Yifeng Jin" <yjin@h...> wrote:
        > Hi everyone:
        >
        > I've installed debian sarge in my Dell Latitude D510. When
        configured Xfree86, I choose "vesa" as my video driver which is not
        very suitable I think. There is nvidia driver available for Linux, but
        how about my video card -- "Mobile Inter(R) 915GN/GMS,910GML Express
        Chipset Family"?

        > X window system works now, but looks bad with "vesa" driver.
        >
        > Does someone know about it
        >
        > hqking
        >
        > DELL Latitude D510
        > Debian sarge
      • Stephen Lau
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4, 2005
          Use the "i810" driver.

          cheers,
          steve

          Yifeng Jin wrote:

          >Hi everyone:
          >
          >I've installed debian sarge in my Dell Latitude D510. When configured Xfree86, I choose "vesa" as my video driver which is not very suitable I think. There is nvidia driver available for Linux, but how about my video card -- "Mobile Inter(R) 915GN/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family"?
          >
          >X window system works now, but looks bad with "vesa" driver.
          >
          >Does someone know about it
          >
          >hqking
          >
          >DELL Latitude D510
          >Debian sarge

        • hq_king
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 5, 2005
            Hi Drencsan

            Thank you very much for your information. It helps me a lot.

            I tried wireless only a week before. It seems not very hard that Intel
            has already launched a project in sourceforge to provide techniqe
            support for their wireless card "Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG and
            2915ABG". here is website:
            http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/
            and debian also has its own package named "ipw2200-source"

            What we need to do is to follow their instructions, but I have not
            installed it. the first thing I have to do is recompiling a new kernel
            which will more suitable for my laptop. I am lack of experience, so
            the progress is slow.

            oh, I remenber that wireless card is not the default option (at lest
            in China). I chose it later. Your wireless adaptor may be different
            from mine.

            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Drencsan, Janos"
            <janosdre@y...> wrote:
            > I also have a D510, and had the same issue. A while back, the driver
            > was only available for Xorg and not XFree. I installed Xorg in Debian
            > to replace XFree, so I could use the driver.Looking at the Intel
            > support site, this seems to have changed. Now the driver is good for
            > both Xorg and XFree.
            >
            > The driver is available on Intel's support site with directions on
            > installation. Here is a direct link:
            > http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-010512.htm
            >
            > If I have time I will try to install it today.
            >
            > If you got it to work, or you have some other issues, just drop a few
            > lines at this group.
            >
            > Since we seem to be in the same boat ( Debian on Dell Latitude D510 )
            > I would like to know if you had a chance to test wireless networking.
            > Within a few months, I will need to use it, and I don't even know it
            > it works.
            >
            > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Yifeng Jin" <yjin@h...>
            wrote:
            > > Hi everyone:
            > >
            > > I've installed debian sarge in my Dell Latitude D510. When
            > configured Xfree86, I choose "vesa" as my video driver which is not
            > very suitable I think. There is nvidia driver available for Linux, but
            > how about my video card -- "Mobile Inter(R) 915GN/GMS,910GML Express
            > Chipset Family"?
            > >
            > > X window system works now, but looks bad with "vesa" driver.
            > >
            > > Does someone know about it
            > >
            > > hqking
            > >
            > > DELL Latitude D510
            > > Debian sarge
          • Drencsan, Janos
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 12, 2005
              I'm just wandering if you got the driver working properly without any
              issues. I have trouble installing the driver I suggested to you. What
              was your experience with it ?