Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Kernel Compiling

  • Haedn Thorn
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3 6:55 AM
      --- Wade <sqdnguns@...> wrote:

      > Problem is, I hate Suse and love Slack with DLG. Can I take the
      > .config file from the kernel source on my Suse installation,
      > re-install Slack 10.1 and recomplie the kernel using that config?? It
      > appears to me that I may be able to and just get the firmware and
      > setup the ipw2200 once I am done.

      I had Slack 10.1 with 2.6.10 kernel and ipw2200 1.0.6 running perfectly on my
      600m. No problems. The latest version of ipw2200 seperates the ieee80211
      portions and I haven't had time to get all that compiled yet, but I suspect it
      should work once I do. I'm not sure if SuSe modifies their kernel or not. I
      always manually configure the vanilla kernel from www.kernel.org. For ipw
      wireless, you should make sure to have "wireless" compiled in, but you don't
      need any of the kernel's modules for any of those devices. And you also need to
      compile (usually as modules) the cryptography bits. I always just compile all
      of them as modules. It's ok to compile modules you won't use, they don't take
      up too much space. On the bits where I am uncertain of my specific hardware
      (like my realtime clock, or which lmsensor module I need) I just compile the
      whole group as modules. Chances are, one of them will work ;)