Kernel Compiling

  • Wade
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2005
      Dumb question but I need to ask.......

      I have been struggling for a week to get the wireless working on my
      new Inspiron 600m. I have tried EVERYTHING!! ipw2200, ndiswrapper,
      etc......

      I had seen on some forums how some people using Suse 9.3 had it
      working out of the box so I installed 9.3, but no wireless. It
      recognized the mini pci but I could not get a signal. What I did was
      download the latest firmware and put it in the /lib/firmware folder
      and BINGO, it worked. Wireless works flawlessly now.

      Problem is, I hate Suse and love Slack with DLG. Can I take the
      .config file from the kernel source on my Suse installation,
      re-install Slack 10.1 and recomplie the kernel using that config?? It
      appears to me that I may be able to and just get the firmware and
      setup the ipw2200 once I am done.

      What do you guys think??
    • Vaibhav Vaidya
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2005

        Youur problems could be solved without recompiling the kernel, if you donnt want to do multiple installations... please do read my post experiences with a dell 9300... etc
        I had similar problems and got wireless working on Scientific LInux in the following way:
        Downloaded the source and firmware WITH THE SAME VERSION.
        REMOVED the old driver (the source from sourceforge had some script for this)(you might need the crypto libs)
        put the firmware in /lib/firmware AND /etc/firmware
        installed ieee crypto libraries
        installed ipw2200 from sourceforge
        modprobe-d it to make sure it could install
        dmesg-ed for ipw2200 to make sure the firmware was being recognised.
        manually configed ifcfg-eth0
        went into dell boot menu and put the wireless card to be ON by default
        made sure I didnt press wireless kill switch on motherboard
        power-off-on-ed

        More explicit info in my post to the list, from a couple of weeks ago. hope it's useful
        --Vaibhav
        Wade <sqdnguns@...> wrote:
        Dumb question but I need to ask.......

        I have been struggling for a week to get the wireless working on my
        new  Inspiron 600m. I have tried EVERYTHING!! ipw2200, ndiswrapper,
        etc......

        I had seen on some forums how some people using Suse 9.3 had it
        working out of the box so I installed 9.3, but no wireless. It
        recognized the mini pci but I could not get a signal. What I did was
        download the latest firmware and put it in the /lib/firmware folder
        and BINGO, it worked. Wireless works flawlessly now.

        Problem is, I hate Suse and love Slack with DLG. Can I take the
        .config file from the kernel source on my Suse installation,
        re-install Slack 10.1 and recomplie the kernel using that config?? It
        appears to me that I may be able to and just get the firmware and
        setup the ipw2200 once I am done.

        What do you guys think??

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Haedn Thorn
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3, 2005
          --- Wade <sqdnguns@...> wrote:

          > Problem is, I hate Suse and love Slack with DLG. Can I take the
          > .config file from the kernel source on my Suse installation,
          > re-install Slack 10.1 and recomplie the kernel using that config?? It
          > appears to me that I may be able to and just get the firmware and
          > setup the ipw2200 once I am done.

          I had Slack 10.1 with 2.6.10 kernel and ipw2200 1.0.6 running perfectly on my
          600m. No problems. The latest version of ipw2200 seperates the ieee80211
          portions and I haven't had time to get all that compiled yet, but I suspect it
          should work once I do. I'm not sure if SuSe modifies their kernel or not. I
          always manually configure the vanilla kernel from www.kernel.org. For ipw
          wireless, you should make sure to have "wireless" compiled in, but you don't
          need any of the kernel's modules for any of those devices. And you also need to
          compile (usually as modules) the cryptography bits. I always just compile all
          of them as modules. It's ok to compile modules you won't use, they don't take
          up too much space. On the bits where I am uncertain of my specific hardware
          (like my realtime clock, or which lmsensor module I need) I just compile the
          whole group as modules. Chances are, one of them will work ;)