Re: [linux-dell-laptops] booting diagnostics partition

  • Douglas S. Oliver
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2005
      That's the same on my i86K, but I was wondering about his grub file entry. His partition table says that the de partition is /dev/hda4,right? That would be grub partition (hd0,3). In any event, grub would need to have that information. If he moved his partitions around, the BIOS probably would not know how to find the original de partition--just a guess--which would confuse the F12 boot option. --douglas

      > While there is no problem running I both XP & linux (debian sarge), I
      > wanted to boot the Dell utility partition.
      >
      > when selected grub shows error unknown partition type, couldnt find
      > valid image etc.
      >
      > What could be the solution.

      My understanding was that the diagnostics boot from the BIOS, not a bootloader.
      Try using
    • G Karunakar
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 15, 2005
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas S. Oliver"
        <dsoliver@e...> wrote:
        > That's the same on my i86K, but I was wondering about his grub file
        entry. His partition table says that the de partition is
        /dev/hda4,right? That would be grub partition (hd0,3). In any event,
        grub would need to have that information. If he moved his partitions
        around, the BIOS probably would not know how to find the original de
        partition--just a guess--which would confuse the F12 boot option.

        Yes it something like that. when selected from F12 - it does its
        routine checks & fails when trying to boot the diagnostics partition?
        Any way to fix that? probably needs the original boot record ?

        Karunakar
      • Douglas S. Oliver
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 15, 2005
          Actually, if you are using Grub, just enter the proper boot parameters and it should work. I don't know about how to make the F12 key work with a moved partition. You might also need to make the DE partition bootable with fdisk--set a bootable flag. You might need to use the chainloader setting. I would read the grub man and info pages. I think there are some good examples that you can modify to boot from the dell diagnotisc partition. Just remember that grub partition numbers are one lower than in lilo, and the format is different. I'm not sure but if I remember correctly, the de partition uses a fat32 filesystem even on an XP machine, and it boots from a winME version of DOS. So, set a bootable partition, make sure your grub partition information is correct, and you should be set to go. Just enter the info in grub.conf and reboot. Good luck. -- Douglas