booting diagnostics partition

  • G Karunakar
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1 10:48 PM
      hi all,
      I have Dell inspiron 510m, I installed Linux on it after resizing the
      partitions. Excluding the linux partitions, following is part of
      partition table.

      Disk /dev/hda: 60.0 GB, 60011642880 bytes
      255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7296 cylinders
      Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

      Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
      /dev/hda1 1 5 40131 e W95 FAT16
      (LBA)
      /dev/hda2 * 6 642 5116702+ 17 Hidden
      HPFS/NTFS
      /dev/hda3 643 6936 50556555 5 Extended
      /dev/hda4 6937 7295 2883667+ de Dell Utility

      While there is no problem running I both XP & linux (debian sarge), I
      wanted to boot the Dell utility partition.

      I added following for it for grub configuration

      title Dell Diagnostics
      root (hd0,0)
      savedefault
      makeactive
      chainloader

      when selected grub shows error unknown partition type, couldnt find
      valid image etc.

      What could be the solution.

      Karunakar
    • Haedn Thorn
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2 6:13 AM
        --- G Karunakar <karunakarg@...> wrote:

        > While there is no problem running I both XP & linux (debian sarge), I
        > wanted to boot the Dell utility partition.
        >
        > when selected grub shows error unknown partition type, couldnt find
        > valid image etc.
        >
        > What could be the solution.

        My understanding was that the diagnostics boot from the BIOS, not a bootloader.
        Try using the "F12" boot menu option while your BIOS is starting. At least that
        is how it works on my 600m.
      • Douglas S. Oliver
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2 10:22 AM
          That's the same on my i86K, but I was wondering about his grub file entry. His partition table says that the de partition is /dev/hda4,right? That would be grub partition (hd0,3). In any event, grub would need to have that information. If he moved his partitions around, the BIOS probably would not know how to find the original de partition--just a guess--which would confuse the F12 boot option. --douglas

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 15 7:00 AM
            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas S. Oliver"
            <dsoliver@e...> wrote:
            > That's the same on my i86K, but I was wondering about his grub file
            entry. His partition table says that the de partition is
            /dev/hda4,right? That would be grub partition (hd0,3). In any event,
            grub would need to have that information. If he moved his partitions
            around, the BIOS probably would not know how to find the original de
            partition--just a guess--which would confuse the F12 boot option.

            Yes it something like that. when selected from F12 - it does its
            routine checks & fails when trying to boot the diagnostics partition?
            Any way to fix that? probably needs the original boot record ?

            Karunakar
          • Douglas S. Oliver
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 15 6:42 PM
              Actually, if you are using Grub, just enter the proper boot parameters and it should work. I don't know about how to make the F12 key work with a moved partition. You might also need to make the DE partition bootable with fdisk--set a bootable flag. You might need to use the chainloader setting. I would read the grub man and info pages. I think there are some good examples that you can modify to boot from the dell diagnotisc partition. Just remember that grub partition numbers are one lower than in lilo, and the format is different. I'm not sure but if I remember correctly, the de partition uses a fat32 filesystem even on an XP machine, and it boots from a winME version of DOS. So, set a bootable partition, make sure your grub partition information is correct, and you should be set to go. Just enter the info in grub.conf and reboot. Good luck. -- Douglas