Re: [linux-dell-laptops] haldaemon intermittent crash..

  • Herman
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 22, 2005
      Oops, it seems to depend on what you are running - on Mandrake Linux
      there is a hotplug daemon.

      I found the removable devices utility - I thought it is part of KDE, but
      it seems to be a Gnome utility.

      On Mandrake it is under Star, System, Configuration, Hardware, Removable
      Storage:
      /usr/bin/gnome-volume-properties

      Run it and then close it, without doing anything. Your removable
      schtuff should then magically come back to life!

      Cheers,

      H.

      Alexander Toresson wrote:
      > Hotplug is not a process. It's a bunch of scripts that run when you
      > plug in devices. However, there should be a set up script for hotplug
      > that is run on boot.
      >
      > Regards, Alexander Toresson
      >
      > On 7/23/05, Vaibhav Vaidya <ampfp@...> wrote:
      >

      >>Hi,
      >>
      >>Thanks... I couldnt find the hotplug process running though(I couldnt find
      >>it in the serviceconf list either). Neither did I find the kde hotplug
      >>manager (nor googling that helped). I'll keep trying to find it... if it'll
      >>solve the problem!!
      >>
      >>--Vaibhav
      >>

      >>Herman <herman@...> wrote:
      >>Vaibhav Vaidya wrote:
      >>
      >>>Hi,
      >>>
      >>>Every alternate boot up my new Dell Inspiron 9300 with Scientific Linux
      >>>4.0 hangs. The cursor at the text boot screen blinks, but keyboard
      >>>doesnt work (including ctrl alt del). Since these new things dont
      >>>feature a reset button, I have to hold the power button and restart it...
      >>>
      >>>I believe this has something to do with the haldaemon, since if I
      >>>disable it during startup then there's no problem, and if I start it
      >>>after startup it intermittently hangs again...
      >>>
      >>>Since I use USB devices which I dont want to mount unmount on my own,
      >>>I'd like haldaemon to be on... so simply disabling is not the ideal
      >>>solution. :(
      >>
      >>You need a couple of things to keep the Howling wherewolf happy:
      >>haldaemon
      >>hotplug
      >>messagebus
      >>
      >>KDE has a hotplug manager somewhere - I can never find it when I need it
      >>- once the above daemons are running, track down this KDE utility, start
      >>it and quit it - that will cause it to fix things - don't ask me how I
      >>figured that out - long story...
      >>
      >>Cheers,
      >>
      >>H.

      >> Notebook computers Running linux Dell laptop
      >> Dell notebook computer Sony notebook computer Toshiba notebook computer

      >> ________________________________

    • Vaibhav Vaidya
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 22, 2005
        I found and ran it, however on reboot my computer hung
        again... :(

        --Vaibhav

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Herman
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 22, 2005
          Vaibhav Vaidya wrote:
          > I found and ran it, however on reboot my computer hung
          > again... :(

          I have one PC that hangs every second time I boot it. How it keeps
          count accross power downs I don't know...

          Anyhoo, I am flat out of bright ideas, sorry!

          H.
        • Vaibhav Vaidya
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 22, 2005
            Ok... thanks for your help anyway... my Red Hat
            Network Update Icon just crashed and wont start back
            up, so I'm having a gala time trying to fix 10
            problems at once... so much for the weekend!

            --Vaibhav

            http://mail.yahoo.com