Re: [linux-dell-laptops] haldaemon intermittent crash..

  • Alexander Toresson
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 22, 2005
      Hotplug is not a process. It's a bunch of scripts that run when you
      plug in devices. However, there should be a set up script for hotplug
      that is run on boot.

      Regards, Alexander Toresson

      On 7/23/05, Vaibhav Vaidya <ampfp@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Thanks... I couldnt find the hotplug process running though(I couldnt find
      > it in the serviceconf list either). Neither did I find the kde hotplug
      > manager (nor googling that helped). I'll keep trying to find it... if it'll
      > solve the problem!!
      >
      > --Vaibhav
      >

      > Herman <herman@...> wrote:
      > Vaibhav Vaidya wrote:
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > Every alternate boot up my new Dell Inspiron 9300 with Scientific Linux
      > > 4.0 hangs. The cursor at the text boot screen blinks, but keyboard
      > > doesnt work (including ctrl alt del). Since these new things dont
      > > feature a reset button, I have to hold the power button and restart it...
      > >
      > > I believe this has something to do with the haldaemon, since if I
      > > disable it during startup then there's no problem, and if I start it
      > > after startup it intermittently hangs again...
      > >
      > > Since I use USB devices which I dont want to mount unmount on my own,
      > > I'd like haldaemon to be on... so simply disabling is not the ideal
      > > solution. :(
      >
      > You need a couple of things to keep the Howling wherewolf happy:
      > haldaemon
      > hotplug
      > messagebus
      >
      > KDE has a hotplug manager somewhere - I can never find it when I need it
      > - once the above daemons are running, track down this KDE utility, start
      > it and quit it - that will cause it to fix things - don't ask me how I
      > figured that out - long story...
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > H.

      > Notebook computers Running linux Dell laptop
      > Dell notebook computer Sony notebook computer Toshiba notebook computer

      > ________________________________

    • Herman
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 22, 2005
        Oops, it seems to depend on what you are running - on Mandrake Linux
        there is a hotplug daemon.

        I found the removable devices utility - I thought it is part of KDE, but
        it seems to be a Gnome utility.

        On Mandrake it is under Star, System, Configuration, Hardware, Removable
        Storage:
        /usr/bin/gnome-volume-properties

        Run it and then close it, without doing anything. Your removable
        schtuff should then magically come back to life!

        Cheers,

        H.

        Alexander Toresson wrote:
        > Hotplug is not a process. It's a bunch of scripts that run when you
        > plug in devices. However, there should be a set up script for hotplug
        > that is run on boot.
        >
        > Regards, Alexander Toresson
        >
        > On 7/23/05, Vaibhav Vaidya <ampfp@...> wrote:
        >

        >>Hi,
        >>
        >>Thanks... I couldnt find the hotplug process running though(I couldnt find
        >>it in the serviceconf list either). Neither did I find the kde hotplug
        >>manager (nor googling that helped). I'll keep trying to find it... if it'll
        >>solve the problem!!
        >>
        >>--Vaibhav
        >>

        >>Herman <herman@...> wrote:
        >>Vaibhav Vaidya wrote:
        >>
        >>>Hi,
        >>>
        >>>Every alternate boot up my new Dell Inspiron 9300 with Scientific Linux
        >>>4.0 hangs. The cursor at the text boot screen blinks, but keyboard
        >>>doesnt work (including ctrl alt del). Since these new things dont
        >>>feature a reset button, I have to hold the power button and restart it...
        >>>
        >>>I believe this has something to do with the haldaemon, since if I
        >>>disable it during startup then there's no problem, and if I start it
        >>>after startup it intermittently hangs again...
        >>>
        >>>Since I use USB devices which I dont want to mount unmount on my own,
        >>>I'd like haldaemon to be on... so simply disabling is not the ideal
        >>>solution. :(
        >>
        >>You need a couple of things to keep the Howling wherewolf happy:
        >>haldaemon
        >>hotplug
        >>messagebus
        >>
        >>KDE has a hotplug manager somewhere - I can never find it when I need it
        >>- once the above daemons are running, track down this KDE utility, start
        >>it and quit it - that will cause it to fix things - don't ask me how I
        >>figured that out - long story...
        >>
        >>Cheers,
        >>
        >>H.

        >> Notebook computers Running linux Dell laptop
        >> Dell notebook computer Sony notebook computer Toshiba notebook computer

        >> ________________________________

      • Vaibhav Vaidya
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 22, 2005
          I found and ran it, however on reboot my computer hung
          again... :(

          --Vaibhav

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Herman
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 22, 2005
            Vaibhav Vaidya wrote:
            > I found and ran it, however on reboot my computer hung
            > again... :(

            I have one PC that hangs every second time I boot it. How it keeps
            count accross power downs I don't know...

            Anyhoo, I am flat out of bright ideas, sorry!

            H.
          • Vaibhav Vaidya
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 22, 2005
              Ok... thanks for your help anyway... my Red Hat
              Network Update Icon just crashed and wont start back
              up, so I'm having a gala time trying to fix 10
              problems at once... so much for the weekend!

              --Vaibhav

              http://mail.yahoo.com