CD / DVD-R/RW not working on Dell Latitude D510 + Kernel build problems

  • Drencsan, Janos
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 8 2:19 AM
      I have a new Dell Latitude D510, with Debian (Sarge) already
      installed. Upgraded to kernel 2.6.11. But the CD / DVD writer is not
      accessable. When I attempt to mount it I get the error that /dev/sdc
      does not exist.

      Did anyone got the CD/DVD writer to work? How?

      I tried to compile a new kernel 2.6.12 cause I suspect that some
      modules are missing, and that causes the CD/DVD no to work. After
      compiling, building and installing the kernel, I reboot into the new
      kernel. The boot process soon fails with Kernel panic.

      Did anyone build a kernel for D510 successfully?
    • Alexandre Tessier
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 8 4:02 AM
        Did you try with /dev/hdb or /dev/hdc or /dev/cdrom or /dev/cdrom0...?

        Alex.

        Drencsan, Janos wrote:
        > I have a new Dell Latitude D510, with Debian (Sarge) already
        > installed. Upgraded to kernel 2.6.11. But the CD / DVD writer is not
        > accessable. When I attempt to mount it I get the error that /dev/sdc
        > does not exist.
        >
        > Did anyone got the CD/DVD writer to work? How?
        >
        > I tried to compile a new kernel 2.6.12 cause I suspect that some
        > modules are missing, and that causes the CD/DVD no to work. After
        > compiling, building and installing the kernel, I reboot into the new
        > kernel. The boot process soon fails with Kernel panic.
        >
        > Did anyone build a kernel for D510 successfully?

      • Haedn Thorn
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 8 6:22 AM
          --- "Drencsan, Janos" <janosdre@...> wrote:

          > I have a new Dell Latitude D510, with Debian (Sarge) already
          > installed. Upgraded to kernel 2.6.11. But the CD / DVD writer is not
          > accessable. When I attempt to mount it I get the error that /dev/sdc
          > does not exist.
          >
          > Did anyone got the CD/DVD writer to work? How?
          >
          > I tried to compile a new kernel 2.6.12 cause I suspect that some
          > modules are missing, and that causes the CD/DVD no to work. After
          > compiling, building and installing the kernel, I reboot into the new
          > kernel. The boot process soon fails with Kernel panic.

          If you're CD/DVD drive is not SCSI, it shouldn't be on /dev/sdc ... Most likely
          it is ATAPI and at /dev/hdc. If you are running SCSI emulation (unecessary with
          2.6.x) it should be at /dev/scd0.

          For the kernel panic, recheck your filesystem and IDE controller selections.
          Keep in mind that your root partition, /boot, and /lib/modules need to all be
          accessible by controllers and filesystems with are compiled in and NOT compiled
          as modules.
        • Drencsan, Janos
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 11 12:31 AM
            Regarding the CD/DVD I have tried all the possible devices you guys
            have suggested. Non of them exist. Here is the list of my /dev
            directory, but I don't see anything that could be a CD/DVD. Maybe
            someone can help me to go in the right direction with this additional
            info. sda is my harddrive.

            MAKEDEV ptyd6 ptys4 ptyx2 tty11 ttyS24 ttyc9 ttyr7 ttyw5
            agpgart ptyd7 ptys5 ptyx3 tty12 ttyS25 ttyca ttyr8 ttyw6
            console ptyd8 ptys6 ptyx4 tty13 ttyS26 ttycb ttyr9 ttyw7
            core ptyd9 ptys7 ptyx5 tty14 ttyS27 ttycc ttyra ttyw8
            dsp ptyda ptys8 ptyx6 tty15 ttyS28 ttycd ttyrb ttyw9
            fd ptydb ptys9 ptyx7 tty16 ttyS29 ttyce ttyrc ttywa
            full ptydc ptysa ptyx8 tty17 ttyS3 ttycf ttyrd ttywb
            hpet ptydd ptysb ptyx9 tty18 ttyS30 ttyd0 ttyre ttywc
            initctl ptyde ptysc ptyxa tty19 ttyS31 ttyd1 ttyrf ttywd
            input ptydf ptysd ptyxb tty2 ttyS32 ttyd2 ttys0 ttywe
            kmem ptye0 ptyse ptyxc tty20 ttyS33 ttyd3 ttys1 ttywf
            kmsg ptye1 ptysf ptyxd tty21 ttyS34 ttyd4 ttys2 ttyx0
            log ptye2 ptyt0 ptyxe tty22 ttyS35 ttyd5 ttys3 ttyx1
            loop ptye3 ptyt1 ptyxf tty23 ttyS36 ttyd6 ttys4 ttyx2
            mem ptye4 ptyt2 ptyy0 tty24 ttyS37 ttyd7 ttys5 ttyx3
            mixer ptye5 ptyt3 ptyy1 tty25 ttyS38 ttyd8 ttys6 ttyx4
            net ptye6 ptyt4 ptyy2 tty26 ttyS39 ttyd9 ttys7 ttyx5
            null ptye7 ptyt5 ptyy3 tty27 ttyS4 ttyda ttys8 ttyx6
            port ptye8 ptyt6 ptyy4 tty28 ttyS40 ttydb ttys9 ttyx7
            ppp ptye9 ptyt7 ptyy5 tty29 ttyS41 ttydc ttysa ttyx8
            printer ptyea ptyt8 ptyy6 tty3 ttyS42 ttydd ttysb ttyx9
            psaux ptyeb ptyt9 ptyy7 tty30 ttyS43 ttyde ttysc ttyxa
            ptmx ptyec ptyta ptyy8 tty31 ttyS44 ttydf ttysd ttyxb
            pts ptyed ptytb ptyy9 tty32 ttyS45 ttye0 ttyse ttyxc
            ptya0 ptyee ptytc ptyya tty33 ttyS46 ttye1 ttysf ttyxd
            ptya1 ptyef ptytd ptyyb tty34 ttyS47 ttye2 ttyt0 ttyxe
            ptya2 ptyp0 ptyte ptyyc tty35 ttyS48 ttye3 ttyt1 ttyxf
            ptya3 ptyp1 ptytf ptyyd tty36 ttyS49 ttye4 ttyt2 ttyy0
            ptya4 ptyp2 ptyu0 ptyye tty37 ttyS5 ttye5 ttyt3 ttyy1
            ptya5 ptyp3 ptyu1 ptyyf tty38 ttyS50 ttye6 ttyt4 ttyy2
            ptya6 ptyp4 ptyu2 ptyz0 tty39 ttyS51 ttye7 ttyt5 ttyy3
            ptya7 ptyp5 ptyu3 ptyz1 tty4 ttyS52 ttye8 ttyt6 ttyy4
            ptya8 ptyp6 ptyu4 ptyz2 tty40 ttyS53 ttye9 ttyt7 ttyy5
            ptya9 ptyp7 ptyu5 ptyz3 tty41 ttyS6 ttyea ttyt8 ttyy6
            ptyaa ptyp8 ptyu6 ptyz4 tty42 ttyS7 ttyeb ttyt9 ttyy7
            ptyab ptyp9 ptyu7 ptyz5 tty43 ttyS8 ttyec ttyta ttyy8
            ptyac ptypa ptyu8 ptyz6 tty44 ttyS9 ttyed ttytb ttyy9
            ptyad ptypb ptyu9 ptyz7 tty45 ttya0 ttyee ttytc ttyya
            ptyae ptypc ptyua ptyz8 tty46 ttya1 ttyef ttytd ttyyb
            ptyaf ptypd ptyub ptyz9 tty47 ttya2 ttyp0 ttyte ttyyc
            ptyb0 ptype ptyuc ptyza tty48 ttya3 ttyp1 ttytf ttyyd
            ptyb1 ptypf ptyud ptyzb tty49 ttya4 ttyp2 ttyu0 ttyye
            ptyb2 ptyq0 ptyue ptyzc tty5 ttya5 ttyp3 ttyu1 ttyyf
            ptyb3 ptyq1 ptyuf ptyzd tty50 ttya6 ttyp4 ttyu2 ttyz0
            ptyb4 ptyq2 ptyv0 ptyze tty51 ttya7 ttyp5 ttyu3 ttyz1
            ptyb5 ptyq3 ptyv1 ptyzf tty52 ttya8 ttyp6 ttyu4 ttyz2
            ptyb6 ptyq4 ptyv2 ram0 tty53 ttya9 ttyp7 ttyu5 ttyz3
            ptyb7 ptyq5 ptyv3 ram1 tty54 ttyaa ttyp8 ttyu6 ttyz4
            ptyb8 ptyq6 ptyv4 ram10 tty55 ttyab ttyp9 ttyu7 ttyz5
            ptyb9 ptyq7 ptyv5 ram11 tty56 ttyac ttypa ttyu8 ttyz6
            ptyba ptyq8 ptyv6 ram12 tty57 ttyad ttypb ttyu9 ttyz7
            ptybb ptyq9 ptyv7 ram13 tty58 ttyae ttypc ttyua ttyz8
            ptybc ptyqa ptyv8 ram14 tty59 ttyaf ttypd ttyub ttyz9
            ptybd ptyqb ptyv9 ram15 tty6 ttyb0 ttype ttyuc ttyza
            ptybe ptyqc ptyva ram2 tty60 ttyb1 ttypf ttyud ttyzb
            ptybf ptyqd ptyvb ram3 tty61 ttyb2 ttyq0 ttyue ttyzc
            ptyc0 ptyqe ptyvc ram4 tty62 ttyb3 ttyq1 ttyuf ttyzd
            ptyc1 ptyqf ptyvd ram5 tty63 ttyb4 ttyq2 ttyv0 ttyze
            ptyc2 ptyr0 ptyve ram6 tty7 ttyb5 ttyq3 ttyv1 ttyzf
            ptyc3 ptyr1 ptyvf ram7 tty8 ttyb6 ttyq4 ttyv2 urandom
            ptyc4 ptyr2 ptyw0 ram8 tty9 ttyb7 ttyq5 ttyv3 vcs
            ptyc5 ptyr3 ptyw1 ram9 ttyS0 ttyb8 ttyq6 ttyv4 vcs1
            ptyc6 ptyr4 ptyw2 random ttyS1 ttyb9 ttyq7 ttyv5 vcs2
            ptyc7 ptyr5 ptyw3 sda ttyS10 ttyba ttyq8 ttyv6 vcs3
            ptyc8 ptyr6 ptyw4 sda1 ttyS11 ttybb ttyq9 ttyv7 vcs4
            ptyc9 ptyr7 ptyw5 sda2 ttyS12 ttybc ttyqa ttyv8 vcs5
            ptyca ptyr8 ptyw6 sda3 ttyS13 ttybd ttyqb ttyv9 vcs6
            ptycb ptyr9 ptyw7 sda4 ttyS14 ttybe ttyqc ttyva vcs7
            ptycc ptyra ptyw8 shm ttyS15 ttybf ttyqd ttyvb vcsa
            ptycd ptyrb ptyw9 snd ttyS16 ttyc0 ttyqe ttyvc vcsa1
            ptyce ptyrc ptywa sndstat ttyS17 ttyc1 ttyqf ttyvd vcsa2
            ptycf ptyrd ptywb stderr ttyS18 ttyc2 ttyr0 ttyve vcsa3
            ptyd0 ptyre ptywc stdin ttyS19 ttyc3 ttyr1 ttyvf vcsa4
            ptyd1 ptyrf ptywd stdout ttyS2 ttyc4 ttyr2 ttyw0 vcsa5
            ptyd2 ptys0 ptywe tty ttyS20 ttyc5 ttyr3 ttyw1 vcsa6
            ptyd3 ptys1 ptywf tty0 ttyS21 ttyc6 ttyr4 ttyw2 vcsa7
            ptyd4 ptys2 ptyx0 tty1 ttyS22 ttyc7 ttyr5 ttyw3 xconsole
            ptyd5 ptys3 ptyx1 tty10 ttyS23 ttyc8 ttyr6 ttyw4 zero
          • Alexander Toresson
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 11 5:15 AM
              On 7/11/05, Drencsan, Janos <janosdre@...> wrote:
              > Regarding the CD/DVD I have tried all the possible devices you guys
              > have suggested. Non of them exist. Here is the list of my /dev
              > directory, but I don't see anything that could be a CD/DVD. Maybe
              > someone can help me to go in the right direction with this additional
              > info. sda is my harddrive.

              If you have the same scsi controller as I do, you need to change
              #undef ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI to #define ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI in
              include/linux/libata.h in the kernel source and then recompile.

              Regards, Alexander Toresson
            • Haedn Thorn
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 11 7:14 AM
                There are no IDE devices in your list. Are you loading the appropriate drivers?
                Most CD/DVD drives, especially in laptops, are going to be IDE/ATAPI.

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 12 12:24 AM
                  Thanks for the help. I finally got it to work.

                  Fixing the libata.h file got the CD / DVD to work. To avoid problems
                  with the kernel, I had to turn off one option in the kernel config file:
                  General setup -->
                  Configure standard kernel features (for small systems) -->
                  [ ] Load all symbols for debugging/kksymoops

                  Leaving everything else in its default state, let me get a working kernel.

                  And the CD/DVD is on /deb/scd0.

                  All I have is a minor problem. After I log into KDE, I get the
                  following error message popping up:

                  Title bar: Informational - artsmessage

                  Sound server informational message:
                  Error while initializing the sound driver:
                  device: default can't be opened for playback (No such file or directory)
                  The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

                  When in the Control Center, under Sound System, I get no sound when I
                  press the [Test Sound] or [Test Midi] buttons. However I have sound
                  when using XMMS to play sound files.

                  What is causing this error message, and how do I fix this issue?
                • Vaibhav Vaidya
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 12 1:08 AM

                    I installed Scientific Linux (Red Hat Enterprise) and
                    after a lot of problems got dvd's to play under
                    xmms/ogle. Everything's ok, except that the dvd
                    playback is choppy. I tried setting the USE_DMA flag
                    as in the FAQs but it still doesnt let me use hdparms
                    to get dma working. Any way to get dvd's to play
                    better?

                    Thanks,
                    --Vaibhav

                    --- "Drencsan, Janos" <janosdre@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks for the help. I finally got it to work.
                    >
                    > Fixing the libata.h file got the CD / DVD to work.
                    > To avoid problems
                    > with the kernel, I had to turn off one option in the
                    > kernel config file:
                    > General setup -->
                    > Configure standard kernel features (for small
                    > systems) -->
                    > [ ] Load all symbols for debugging/kksymoops
                    >
                    > Leaving everything else in its default state, let me
                    > get a working kernel.
                    >
                    > And the CD/DVD is on /deb/scd0.
                    >
                    > All I have is a minor problem. After I log into KDE,
                    > I get the
                    > following error message popping up:
                    >
                    > Title bar: Informational - artsmessage
                    >
                    > Sound server informational message:
                    > Error while initializing the sound driver:
                    > device: default can't be opened for playback (No
                    > such file or directory)
                    > The sound server will continue, using the null
                    > output device.
                    >
                    > When in the Control Center, under Sound System, I
                    > get no sound when I
                    > press the [Test Sound] or [Test Midi] buttons.
                    > However I have sound
                    > when using XMMS to play sound files.
                    >
                    > What is causing this error message, and how do I fix
                    > this issue?

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Drencsan, Janos
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 12 4:33 AM
                      Which FAQ did you read? Found an FAQ myself, it might help.
                      http://whacked.net/ldl-faq/faq/

                      17.2 Choppy or slow DVD playback
                      This can be caused by any number of things. Check that:
                      1) DMA is enabled on the DVD drive (using hdparm)
                      2) There are no programs polling the APM device (power/battery applets)
                      3) Make sure you're using Xv (the Xvideo extension), not Xshm
                      (the slower, shared memory version)
                      4) Try making sure DRI support is enabled.

                      Do you have the correct video driver installed, or are you using a
                      genric driver (vesa)? The driver specific to your video card will be
                      faster than a generic one.

                      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Vaibhav Vaidya <ampfp@y...>
                      wrote:
                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > I installed Scientific Linux (Red Hat Enterprise) and
                      > after a lot of problems got dvd's to play under
                      > xmms/ogle. Everything's ok, except that the dvd
                      > playback is choppy. I tried setting the USE_DMA flag
                      > as in the FAQs but it still doesnt let me use hdparms
                      > to get dma working. Any way to get dvd's to play
                      > better?
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > --Vaibhav

                    • Alwin Gupta
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 12 6:17 AM
                        It seems you are using OSS sound instead of ALSA. Make sure that you have
                        configured the kernel with ALSA support.

                        -Alwin

                        --- "Drencsan, Janos" <janosdre@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks for the help. I finally got it to work.
                        >
                        > Fixing the libata.h file got the CD / DVD to work. To avoid problems
                        > with the kernel, I had to turn off one option in the kernel config file:
                        > General setup -->
                        > Configure standard kernel features (for small systems) -->
                        > [ ] Load all symbols for debugging/kksymoops
                        >
                        > Leaving everything else in its default state, let me get a working kernel.
                        >
                        > And the CD/DVD is on /deb/scd0.
                        >
                        > All I have is a minor problem. After I log into KDE, I get the
                        > following error message popping up:
                        >
                        > Title bar: Informational - artsmessage
                        >
                        > Sound server informational message:
                        > Error while initializing the sound driver:
                        > device: default can't be opened for playback (No such file or directory)
                        > The sound server will continue, using the null output device.
                        >
                        > When in the Control Center, under Sound System, I get no sound when I
                        > press the [Test Sound] or [Test Midi] buttons. However I have sound
                        > when using XMMS to play sound files.
                        >
                        > What is causing this error message, and how do I fix this issue?

                        http://auctions.yahoo.com/
                      • Vaibhav Vaidya
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 12 1:16 PM
                          My video seems ok, since in the title page of the dvd, the first time it runs it's choppy. The second time, once it's buffered to the hard drive, it runs smoothly => video card is ok...?
                          I can use hdparm to set the read-ahead buffer on the drive, increasing it causes the 'chops' to occur after increasing amounts of time, thus indicating that they are directly related to drive speed. Currently, since my bus/processor speed is good enough, I have set a very small buffer, (4KB) which gives me smooth performance... but there's a better way to do it, I'm sure... if only it would allow me to enable dma... I tried using /etc/sysconfig/harddisks and also hdparm -d1.... the latter gives me an error saying cant set or bad argument or sth... seems like the device (/dev/hdc) driver doesnt support dma on Inspiron 9300s?

                          Thanks,
                          --Vaibhav

                          wrote:
                          > Hi,
                          >
                          > I installed Scientific Linux (Red Hat Enterprise) and
                          > after a lot of problems got dvd's to play under
                          > xmms/ogle. Everything's ok, except that the dvd
                          > playback is choppy. I tried setting the USE_DMA flag
                          > as in the FAQs but it still doesnt let me use hdparms
                          > to get dma working. Any way to get dvd's to play
                          > better?
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          > --Vaibhav

                          http://mail.yahoo.com

                        • Drencsan, Janos
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 13 4:20 AM
                            In the kernel config I haven't touched any sound settings, and I don't
                            know if it selected by default. But you gave me a tip to go on. In
                            KDE's Control Center, under Sound System I selected the audio device
                            to be OSS. Then when I tried to play a sound file, I got the error
                            below and no sound:
                            Couldn't open audio
                            Please check that:
                            Your soundcard is configured properly
                            You have the correct output plugin selected
                            No other program is blocking the soundcard

                            I have dealt with this before, and all I had to do was, disable the
                            sound system, in the Control Center. Now the sound seems to be working.

                            I would be interested to know the cause of this problem, so if anyone
                            knows put up a small post about it.

                            Thanks.

                            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Alwin Gupta