[linux-dell-laptops] Hardware Check

  • noelle@acm.org
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 27, 1999
      Greetings! I am considering the purchase of a Dell
      Inspiron 7000 on which I intend to live in Linux. I
      need some knowledgeable folks to help me determine if
      there are appropriate drivers for all of the components
      of this machine. I've done some research into this
      matter, but I'd like a sanity check or two. Any help
      would be greatly appreciated.

      The machine in question has the following features:

      * P II, 400 MHz, 15" XGA Active Matrix TFT

      * 8MB ATI Mobility-P 3D Video with 2X AGP

      Steve Hsieh (http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~steveh/inspiron/)
      provides some ways to deal with this video card with a
      15" monitor. Any known problems?

      * 10GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive

      * 128M, SDRAM, 2DIMMs

      * Removable Combo 4X DVD-Rom Drive & 3.5" Floppy Drive

      I realize that there are no DVD drivers around. Steve
      Hsieh claims that this drive may be accessed as a
      CD-Rom, however. Any known issues with either the
      CD aspect or floppy aspect of this removable drive?

      * 56K PCMCIA KFlex Psion Gold Card Global

      According to Steve Hsieh's page, this should be fine.

      * 3Com 10/100 Fast Ethernet PC Card

      I think I found an experimental driver for this.
      Any experience with drivers for these fast ethernet
      cards?

      Thanks very much for your attention and your help!

      -- David Noelle ---- Center for the Neural Basis of Cognition --
      -- noelle@... -- http://www.cnbc.cmu.edu/~noelle/ ----------
    • Michael Overvold
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 27, 1999
        The only inadequacy I have found is the sound card. I
        have a Latitude so that may prove the difference. But
        you might want to enquire.

      • noelle@acm.org
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 27, 1999
          > The only inadequacy I have found is the sound card. I
          > have a Latitude so that may prove the difference. But
          > you might want to enquire.

          Thanks! I did overlook the sound card. Steve Hsieh
          (http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~steveh/inspiron/) claims that
          there is a beta commercial driver for the ESS Maestro-2
          sound. But if this is a problem for folks, I'd like to
          know about it. Thanks!

          -- David Noelle, Ph.D. (noelle@...)