Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [linux-dell-laptops] wireless on i9300

Expand Messages
  • Walter Cazzola
    On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, ken wrote: [BIOS settings] ... right, in fact I would like to turn it on :-((( ... well, from what I read (but it could be wrong) the hw
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 4, 2005
    • 0 Attachment
      On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, ken wrote:

      [BIOS settings]

      >> I have already checked, I have just three options: always off, hw on/off
      >> and sw on/off, at the moment is on the hw on/off and starts as off
      >> (thence I cannot turn it on :-(()

      > Well, then that's the basic problem. If you can't turn the radio on,
      > you're not going to be able to use the wireless!

      right, in fact I would like to turn it on :-(((

      > Maybe if you set the BIOS to "sw on/off", you could find a way to turn
      > it on with some software... perhaps even FN-F2...?

      well, from what I read (but it could be wrong) the "hw on/off" option
      should enable me to turn on/off the radio from linux, because it is an
      HW switch as the CRT/LCD switch not interpreted by the OS.

      > (Asking a second time....) What is the output from "cat
      > /proc/net/wireless"?

      # cat /proc/net/wireless
      Inter-| sta-| Quality | Discarded packets | Missed | WE
      face | tus | link level noise | nwid crypt frag retry misc | beacon | 17
      eth2: 0000 0. 0. 0. 0 0 0 0 0 0


      >> iwconfig says me that I have only eth2 and I'm scanning it without
      >> results :-(((

      > What does "ifconfig" tell you?


      # ifconfig eth2
      eth2 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:00:00:00:00:00
      inet6 addr: fe80::200:ff:fe00:0/64 Scope:Link
      UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
      RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
      TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:1
      collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
      RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
      Interrupt:17 Base address:0xe000 Memory:dcffd000-dcffdfff

      uhm, just now, I have noted the "inet6 address" I don't think it is the
      problem but I don't use IPv6, really strange.

      >> I think that I have to find the way to us the FN-F2 key to turn on the
      >> radio. Any other idea?

      > Play around with configuring FN-F2 later... after you have the wireless
      > working properly.

      Ok, I agree with you, what do you think from the date above, is it well
      configurated?

      thank you
      Walter
      --
      Walter Cazzola, PhD - Assistant Professor, DICo, University of Milano
      E-mail cazzola@... Ph.: +39 010 353 6637 Fax: +39 010 353 6699
      · · · --------------------------- · · · --------------------------- · · ·
    • Walter Cazzola
      ... uhm, I didn t try it but it looks they do not supports dell laptops, BTW, I ll keep it in mind and if anything else work I ll try it. thank you for the
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 4, 2005
      • 0 Attachment
        On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, Haedn Thorn wrote:

        >> I have already checked, I have just three options: always off, hw on/off
        >> and sw on/off, at the moment is on the hw on/off and starts as off
        >> (thence I cannot turn it on :-(()

        > Check out rfswitch.sf.net ... I haven't tried it with my ipw2200 since mine
        > defaults to on, but I think it could get you going.

        uhm, I didn't try it but it looks they do not supports dell laptops, BTW,
        I'll keep it in mind and if anything else work I'll try it.

        thank you for the link.
        Walter

        --
        Walter Cazzola, PhD - Assistant Professor, DICo, University of Milano
        E-mail cazzola@... Ph.: +39 010 353 6637 Fax: +39 010 353 6699
        · · · --------------------------- · · · --------------------------- · · ·
        ... recursive: adjective, see recursive ...
        · · · --------------------------- · · · --------------------------- · · ·
      • Joakim Olsson
        Hi, Just jumping into the discussion without all the background info but have ju placed the latest ipw2200 firmware in the correct place?
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 4, 2005
        • 0 Attachment
          Hi,

          Just jumping into the discussion without all the background info but
          have ju placed the latest ipw2200 firmware in the correct place?
          (/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware on my Debian-laptop)

          Best regards,
          Joakim


          Walter Cazzola wrote:

          >On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, Haedn Thorn wrote:
          >
          >
          >
          >>>I have already checked, I have just three options: always off, hw on/off
          >>>and sw on/off, at the moment is on the hw on/off and starts as off
          >>>(thence I cannot turn it on :-(()
          >>>
          >>>
          >
          >
          >
          >>Check out rfswitch.sf.net ... I haven't tried it with my ipw2200 since mine
          >>defaults to on, but I think it could get you going.
          >>
          >>
          >
          >uhm, I didn't try it but it looks they do not supports dell laptops, BTW,
          >I'll keep it in mind and if anything else work I'll try it.
          >
          >thank you for the link.
          >Walter
          >
          >
          >
        • Walter Cazzola
          ... well, I don t know if it is the last release but I have istalled the rpm ipw2200-firmware-2.2-3plf and the firmware is exactly in the place you say. I
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 4, 2005
          • 0 Attachment
            On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, Joakim Olsson wrote:

            > Just jumping into the discussion without all the background info but
            > have ju placed the latest ipw2200 firmware in the correct place?
            > (/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware on my Debian-laptop)

            well, I don't know if it is the last release but I have istalled the rpm

            ipw2200-firmware-2.2-3plf

            and the firmware is exactly in the place you say. I cannot check if it
            is the last release because the version number changes from distribution
            to distribution.

            Thank you for the suggestion.

            Walter

            --
            Walter Cazzola, PhD - Assistant Professor, DICo, University of Milano
            E-mail cazzola@... Ph.: +39 010 353 6637 Fax: +39 010 353 6699
            · · · --------------------------- · · · --------------------------- · · ·
            ... recursive: adjective, see recursive ...
            · · · --------------------------- · · · --------------------------- · · ·
          • Herman
            ... I suggest that you go to the Intel project site and get the latest driver and firmware there. http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/ Cheers, -- -- Herman
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 4, 2005
            • 0 Attachment
              Walter Cazzola wrote:
              > On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, Joakim Olsson wrote:
              >
              >
              >>Just jumping into the discussion without all the background info but
              >>have ju placed the latest ipw2200 firmware in the correct place?
              >>(/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware on my Debian-laptop)
              >
              >
              > well, I don't know if it is the last release but I have istalled the rpm
              >
              > ipw2200-firmware-2.2-3plf
              >
              > and the firmware is exactly in the place you say. I cannot check if it
              > is the last release because the version number changes from distribution
              > to distribution.
              >
              > Thank you for the suggestion.
              >
              > Walter
              >

              I suggest that you go to the Intel project site and get the latest
              driver and firmware there.
              http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/

              Cheers,
              --
              --
              Herman Oosthuysen, B.Eng(E), MIEEE
              #207, 908 - 17th Ave SW
              Calgary, AB, T2T 0A3, Canada
              Phone: 1.403.228-4181
              http://www.AerospaceSoftware.com
            • Walter Cazzola
              ... I m downloading it, there is a way to know the version of the currently installed firmware? BTW I got some success in installing kwifimanager now I m able
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 4, 2005
              • 0 Attachment
                On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, Herman wrote:

                > I suggest that you go to the Intel project site and get the latest
                > driver and firmware there.
                > http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/

                I'm downloading it, there is a way to know the version of the currently
                installed firmware?

                BTW I got some success in installing kwifimanager now I'm able to
                connecting to the wifi network:

                eth2 Scan completed :
                Cell 01 - Address: 00:C0:49:DA:9E:D5
                ESSID:"educwifi"
                Protocol:IEEE 802.11bg
                Mode:Master
                Channel:11
                Encryption key:off
                Bit Rate:54 Mb/s
                Extra: Rates (Mb/s): 1 2 5.5 6 9 11 12 18 22 24 36 48 54
                Signal level=-76 dBm
                Extra: Last beacon: 40ms ago

                but the signal is too low to experiment the navigation, I look for
                another AP and try again but I'm trusting that now it is working.

                thanks to all the help

                Walter

                --
                Walter Cazzola, PhD - Assistant Professor, DICo, University of Milano
                E-mail cazzola@... Ph.: +39 010 353 6637 Fax: +39 010 353 6699
                · · · --------------------------- · · · --------------------------- · · ·
                ... recursive: adjective, see recursive ...
                · · · --------------------------- · · · --------------------------- · · ·
              • ken
                ... Sorry, I ve been away on vacation. Yeah, you shouldn t have eth2 configured for an IPv6 address. Check the configuration file. -- A lot of us are working
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 9, 2005
                • 0 Attachment
                  Walter Cazzola wrote:

                  >On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, ken wrote:
                  >
                  >[BIOS settings]
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >>>I have already checked, I have just three options: always off, hw on/off
                  >>>and sw on/off, at the moment is on the hw on/off and starts as off
                  >>>(thence I cannot turn it on :-(()
                  >>>
                  >>>
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >>Well, then that's the basic problem. If you can't turn the radio on,
                  >>you're not going to be able to use the wireless!
                  >>
                  >>
                  >
                  >right, in fact I would like to turn it on :-(((
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >>Maybe if you set the BIOS to "sw on/off", you could find a way to turn
                  >>it on with some software... perhaps even FN-F2...?
                  >>
                  >>
                  >
                  >well, from what I read (but it could be wrong) the "hw on/off" option
                  >should enable me to turn on/off the radio from linux, because it is an
                  >HW switch as the CRT/LCD switch not interpreted by the OS.
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >>(Asking a second time....) What is the output from "cat
                  >>/proc/net/wireless"?
                  >>
                  >>
                  >
                  ># cat /proc/net/wireless
                  >Inter-| sta-| Quality | Discarded packets | Missed | WE
                  > face | tus | link level noise | nwid crypt frag retry misc | beacon | 17
                  > eth2: 0000 0. 0. 0. 0 0 0 0 0 0
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >>>iwconfig says me that I have only eth2 and I'm scanning it without
                  >>>results :-(((
                  >>>
                  >>>
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >>What does "ifconfig" tell you?
                  >>
                  >>
                  >
                  >
                  ># ifconfig eth2
                  >eth2 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:00:00:00:00:00
                  > inet6 addr: fe80::200:ff:fe00:0/64 Scope:Link
                  > UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
                  > RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
                  > TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:1
                  > collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
                  > RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
                  > Interrupt:17 Base address:0xe000 Memory:dcffd000-dcffdfff
                  >
                  >uhm, just now, I have noted the "inet6 address" I don't think it is the
                  >problem but I don't use IPv6, really strange.
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >>>I think that I have to find the way to us the FN-F2 key to turn on the
                  >>>radio. Any other idea?
                  >>>
                  >>>
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >>Play around with configuring FN-F2 later... after you have the wireless
                  >>working properly.
                  >>
                  >>
                  >
                  >Ok, I agree with you, what do you think from the date above, is it well
                  >configurated?
                  >
                  >thank you
                  >Walter
                  >
                  >

                  Sorry, I've been away on vacation.

                  Yeah, you shouldn't have eth2 configured for an IPv6 address. Check the
                  configuration file.

                  --
                  A lot of us are working harder than we want, at things we don't like to
                  do. Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care to live.
                  -- Bradford Angier
                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.