Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: risks

  • Pawel Drapala
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 3, 2005
      Shan,

      Thx for posting such a great website. I went ahead and
      installed FC4 on my 700m. Everyting went smooth
      acording to your instructions, with one exception. I
      can't seem to get hibernate to work. I went ahead and
      installed the new kerenl per your directions. But when
      I try to run #hybernate in the shell, I get the
      following:

      hibernate: suspend reported the following errors:
      suspend was aborted (see dmesg)

      checking dmesg:

      usb usb4: USB disconnect, address 1
      usb 4-1: USB disconnect, address 2
      uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.2: USB bus 4 deregistered
      Software Suspend 2.1.9.1: Swapwriter: No swap
      signature found at specified location.
      Software Suspend 2.1.9.1: Swapwriter: No swap
      signature found at specified location.
      Software Suspend 2.1.9.1: Software suspend is
      disabled.
      This may be because you haven't put something along
      the lines of

      resume2=swap:/dev/hda1

      in lilo.conf or equivalent. (Where /dev/hda1 is your
      swap partition).
      ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1d.7[D] -> Link [LNKH] ->
      GSI 11 (level, low) -> IRQ 11
      PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1d.7 to
      64
      ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7: EHCI Host Controller
      ehci_hcd

      I made sure to put the following in my grub.conf:

      title Fedora Core (2.6.11-1.1369_FC4_cubbi8_swsusp2)
      root (hd0,4)
      kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4_cubbi8_swsusp2
      ro root=LABEL=/1 resume2=swap:/VolGroup00/LogVol01
      initrd
      /boot/initrd-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4_cubbi8_swsusp2.img
      title Fedora Linux (2.6.11-1.1369_FC4)

      Because my fstab is:

      # This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man
      fstab-sync' for details
      /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / ext3
      defaults 1 1
      LABEL=/boot /boot ext3
      defaults 1 2
      /dev/devpts /dev/pts devpts
      gid=5,mode=620 0 0
      /dev/shm /dev/shm tmpfs
      defaults 0 0
      /dev/proc /proc proc
      defaults 0 0
      /dev/sys /sys sysfs
      defaults 0 0
      /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap swap
      defaults 0 0
      /dev/hdc /media/cdrecorder auto
      pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

      So /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 must be my swap drive? Am
      I missing something? Do I have to have swap as
      seperate partition for suspend to work?

      Thank you in advance for the help.

      http://mail.yahoo.com