Re: [linux-dell-laptops] external monitor

  • Christoph Eckert
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3, 2005
      > I'm running Mandrake 10.1 on my Inspiron 5160.  Everything
      > is working great, but I'd like to hook up an external
      > monitor.  Every time I hook up the monitor and hit the
      > Fn-F8 keys, the screen goes blank and I can't return to the
      > lap-top lcd monitor.  I have to reboot.  Do I have to put
      > something in my xorg.conf file?

      If you're running the nvidia driver then you can configure
      X.org for clone or even twin view, which needs manual
      adjusting of the config file.

      Best regards

      ce
    • Alexandre Tessier
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 4, 2005
        faithevangelicalchurch wrote:
        > Hey,
        >
        > I'm running Mandrake 10.1 on my Inspiron 5160. Everything is working
        > great, but I'd like to hook up an external monitor. Every time I hook
        > up the monitor and hit the Fn-F8 keys, the screen goes blank and I
        > can't return to the lap-top lcd monitor. I have to reboot. Do I have
        > to put something in my xorg.conf file?

        It depends on your hardware (video card) and the driver you are using.
        If you have a nvidia card and if you use the nvidia driver (different
        from the nv driver), you can use external monitor by configuring
        TwinView in the xorg.conf file.

        > Thanks

        http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
        tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417
      • Bob Bressert
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 6, 2005
          Where can I go to find out how to set up my lap-top
          for twinview?

          --- Alexandre Tessier
          <Alexandre.Tessier@...-orleans.fr> wrote:

          > faithevangelicalchurch wrote:
          > > Hey,
          > >
          > > I'm running Mandrake 10.1 on my Inspiron 5160.
          > Everything is working
          > > great, but I'd like to hook up an external
          > monitor. Every time I hook
          > > up the monitor and hit the Fn-F8 keys, the screen
          > goes blank and I
          > > can't return to the lap-top lcd monitor. I have
          > to reboot. Do I have
          > > to put something in my xorg.conf file?
          >
          > It depends on your hardware (video card) and the
          > driver you are using.
          > If you have a nvidia card and if you use the nvidia
          > driver (different
          > from the nv driver), you can use external monitor by
          > configuring
          > TwinView in the xorg.conf file.
          >

          > > Thanks

          http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
          > tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33
          > (0)238798417

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Alexandre Tessier
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 7, 2005
            Bob Bressert wrote:
            > Where can I go to find out how to set up my lap-top
            > for twinview?

            Here, it may be a good place. Tell us:
            laptop model
            video card (and driver used by xorg or XFree)
            resolution of the laptop screen
            kind of external monitor (crt, dfp, projector, tv...)
            resolution of the external monitor
            etc.

            Alex.

            > --- Alexandre Tessier
            > <Alexandre.Tessier@...-orleans.fr> wrote:
            >

            >>faithevangelicalchurch wrote:
            >>
            >>>Hey,
            >>>
            >>>I'm running Mandrake 10.1 on my Inspiron 5160.
            >>
            >>Everything is working
            >>
            >>>great, but I'd like to hook up an external
            >>
            >>monitor. Every time I hook
            >>
            >>>up the monitor and hit the Fn-F8 keys, the screen
            >>
            >>goes blank and I
            >>
            >>>can't return to the lap-top lcd monitor. I have
            >>
            >>to reboot. Do I have
            >>
            >>>to put something in my xorg.conf file?
            >>
            >>It depends on your hardware (video card) and the
            >>driver you are using.
            >>If you have a nvidia card and if you use the nvidia
            >>driver (different
            >>from the nv driver), you can use external monitor by
            >>configuring
            >>TwinView in the xorg.conf file.
            >>

            >>>Thanks

            >>>FAQ: http://www.whacked.net/ldl/faq
            >>>Yahoo! Groups Links
            >>>

            >>--
            >>

            > http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
            >
            >>tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33
            >>(0)238798417

          • Haedn Thorn
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 7, 2005
              --- Bob Bressert <faithevangelicalchurch@...> wrote:

              > Where can I go to find out how to set up my lap-top
              > for twinview?

              The nVidia drivers come with extensive documentation. That would be the first
              source. Since I got this 600m (about a year ago) I haven't run nVidia on Linux,
              so I'm a little out of date on the specifics.