external monitor

  • faithevangelicalchurch
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3, 2005
      Hey,

      I'm running Mandrake 10.1 on my Inspiron 5160. Everything is working
      great, but I'd like to hook up an external monitor. Every time I hook
      up the monitor and hit the Fn-F8 keys, the screen goes blank and I
      can't return to the lap-top lcd monitor. I have to reboot. Do I have
      to put something in my xorg.conf file?

      Thanks
    • Herman
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2005
        faithevangelicalchurch wrote:
        > Hey,
        >
        > I'm running Mandrake 10.1 on my Inspiron 5160. Everything is working
        > great, but I'd like to hook up an external monitor. Every time I hook
        > up the monitor and hit the Fn-F8 keys, the screen goes blank and I
        > can't return to the lap-top lcd monitor. I have to reboot. Do I have
        > to put something in my xorg.conf file?

        That is a hardware switch function. You should be able to cycle between
        3 states:
        a. Notebook screen
        b. External screen
        c. Both

        However, switching is not instantaneous - give it some time to synchronize.

        'Hope this helps!

        H.
      • Christoph Eckert
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 3, 2005
          > I'm running Mandrake 10.1 on my Inspiron 5160.  Everything
          > is working great, but I'd like to hook up an external
          > monitor.  Every time I hook up the monitor and hit the
          > Fn-F8 keys, the screen goes blank and I can't return to the
          > lap-top lcd monitor.  I have to reboot.  Do I have to put
          > something in my xorg.conf file?

          If you're running the nvidia driver then you can configure
          X.org for clone or even twin view, which needs manual
          adjusting of the config file.

          Best regards

          ce
        • Alexandre Tessier
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 4, 2005
            faithevangelicalchurch wrote:
            > Hey,
            >
            > I'm running Mandrake 10.1 on my Inspiron 5160. Everything is working
            > great, but I'd like to hook up an external monitor. Every time I hook
            > up the monitor and hit the Fn-F8 keys, the screen goes blank and I
            > can't return to the lap-top lcd monitor. I have to reboot. Do I have
            > to put something in my xorg.conf file?

            It depends on your hardware (video card) and the driver you are using.
            If you have a nvidia card and if you use the nvidia driver (different
            from the nv driver), you can use external monitor by configuring
            TwinView in the xorg.conf file.

            > Thanks

            http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
            tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417
          • Bob Bressert
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 6, 2005
              Where can I go to find out how to set up my lap-top
              for twinview?

              --- Alexandre Tessier
              <Alexandre.Tessier@...-orleans.fr> wrote:

              > faithevangelicalchurch wrote:
              > > Hey,
              > >
              > > I'm running Mandrake 10.1 on my Inspiron 5160.
              > Everything is working
              > > great, but I'd like to hook up an external
              > monitor. Every time I hook
              > > up the monitor and hit the Fn-F8 keys, the screen
              > goes blank and I
              > > can't return to the lap-top lcd monitor. I have
              > to reboot. Do I have
              > > to put something in my xorg.conf file?
              >
              > It depends on your hardware (video card) and the
              > driver you are using.
              > If you have a nvidia card and if you use the nvidia
              > driver (different
              > from the nv driver), you can use external monitor by
              > configuring
              > TwinView in the xorg.conf file.
              >

              > > Thanks

              http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
              > tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33
              > (0)238798417

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Alexandre Tessier
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 7, 2005
                Bob Bressert wrote:
                > Where can I go to find out how to set up my lap-top
                > for twinview?

                Here, it may be a good place. Tell us:
                laptop model
                video card (and driver used by xorg or XFree)
                resolution of the laptop screen
                kind of external monitor (crt, dfp, projector, tv...)
                resolution of the external monitor
                etc.

                Alex.

                > --- Alexandre Tessier
                > <Alexandre.Tessier@...-orleans.fr> wrote:
                >

                >>faithevangelicalchurch wrote:
                >>
                >>>Hey,
                >>>
                >>>I'm running Mandrake 10.1 on my Inspiron 5160.
                >>
                >>Everything is working
                >>
                >>>great, but I'd like to hook up an external
                >>
                >>monitor. Every time I hook
                >>
                >>>up the monitor and hit the Fn-F8 keys, the screen
                >>
                >>goes blank and I
                >>
                >>>can't return to the lap-top lcd monitor. I have
                >>
                >>to reboot. Do I have
                >>
                >>>to put something in my xorg.conf file?
                >>
                >>It depends on your hardware (video card) and the
                >>driver you are using.
                >>If you have a nvidia card and if you use the nvidia
                >>driver (different
                >>from the nv driver), you can use external monitor by
                >>configuring
                >>TwinView in the xorg.conf file.
                >>

                >>>Thanks

                >>>FAQ: http://www.whacked.net/ldl/faq
                >>>Yahoo! Groups Links
                >>>

                >>--
                >>

                > http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
                >
                >>tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33
                >>(0)238798417

              • Haedn Thorn
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 7, 2005
                  --- Bob Bressert <faithevangelicalchurch@...> wrote:

                  > Where can I go to find out how to set up my lap-top
                  > for twinview?

                  The nVidia drivers come with extensive documentation. That would be the first
                  source. Since I got this 600m (about a year ago) I haven't run nVidia on Linux,
                  so I'm a little out of date on the specifics.