Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Inspiron 1150 with WLAN 1350 Mini-PCI (BCM4306) working. Knoppix 3.7

  • Herman
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 3, 2005
      Michelle L. Gill wrote:
      > One more thing, the DHCP line that you add to ifcfg-wlan0 should
      > take care of setting the default gateway and obtainin an IP, if you
      > have DHCP configured. I bet you've had to configure them from a
      > command line in the past because this line of text was missing.

      If the DHCP server is configured correctly, then it will send all the
      info to the client, including the default GW. So, if you don't receive
      all the network info, then check the server.

      Cheers,

      H.
    • Herman
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 3, 2005
        Michelle L. Gill wrote:
        > The following may not apply to running linux from a boot disk, but I
        > am able to get my BCM4306 card to work on a Suse 9.3 install (not
        > boot from CD) without running any external scripts. If you end up
        > installing Knoppix, I bet my procedure would work well for you. I
        > have posted about it before:
        >
        > You need to set a flag in the /etc/sysconfig/kernel config file so
        > that ndiswrapper is loaded on boot. Knoppix may have the files in a
        > slightly different place, but the settings should be easy to fix
        > once you find the file.
        >
        > Finally, and this was tricky to find, you need to add the following
        > line to your /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-wlan0 (of whatever Knoppix
        > calls it) file:
        > DHCLIENT_PRIMARY_DEVICE='yes'
        > There is a problem with DHCP when it tries to resolve multiple
        > network interfaces (like on a laptop when you have wireless and
        > ethernet cards). You can also set your network ID and password in
        > this file. I keep copies of the file for each wireless network I
        > use. All of this is described in more detail--just follow the link
        > above.

        Cool. I basically use Knoppix as a test and debug CD, not as a
        permanent hard disk installation. Getting the WiFi adaptor to work was
        more of a mental exercise than a practical thing, to see how much effort
        it would take to get a WiFi thing to work on a machine.

        Cheers,

        Herman