Re: Inspiron 1150 with WLAN 1350 Mini-PCI (BCM4306) working. Knoppix 3.7

  • Michelle L. Gill
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 3, 2005
      The following may not apply to running linux from a boot disk, but I
      am able to get my BCM4306 card to work on a Suse 9.3 install (not
      boot from CD) without running any external scripts. If you end up
      installing Knoppix, I bet my procedure would work well for you. I
      have posted about it before:

      You need to set a flag in the /etc/sysconfig/kernel config file so
      that ndiswrapper is loaded on boot. Knoppix may have the files in a
      slightly different place, but the settings should be easy to fix
      once you find the file.

      Finally, and this was tricky to find, you need to add the following
      line to your /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-wlan0 (of whatever Knoppix
      calls it) file:
      DHCLIENT_PRIMARY_DEVICE='yes'
      There is a problem with DHCP when it tries to resolve multiple
      network interfaces (like on a laptop when you have wireless and
      ethernet cards). You can also set your network ID and password in
      this file. I keep copies of the file for each wireless network I
      use. All of this is described in more detail--just follow the link
      above.

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "bruce_marsh"
      <bruce_marsh@y...> wrote:
      > Thanks for the help!
      >
      > -Bruce
      >
      > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Herman <herman@a...>
      > wrote:
      > > Herman wrote:
      > >
      > > I created a little wup script and got this going:
      > > #! /bin/bash
      > > ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5a.inf
      > > modprobe ndiswrapper
      > > ndiswrapper -m
      > > iwconfig wlan0 mode managed essid whateverssid key deadd00d12
      > > ifconfig wlan0 up
      > > pump -i wlan0
      > >
      > > It sure helps if the essid and key is specified right...
      > >
      > > Save the wup script, bcmwl5a.inf and bcmwl5.sys on /mnt/uba1 and

      > make
      > > wup executable.
      > >
      > > You can make various scripts depending on which WAP you have to
      > connect
      > > to, home, office, whatever.
      > >
      > > Cheers
      > >
      > > H.
    • Michelle L. Gill
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 3, 2005
        One more thing, the DHCP line that you add to ifcfg-wlan0 should
        take care of setting the default gateway and obtainin an IP, if you
        have DHCP configured. I bet you've had to configure them from a
        command line in the past because this line of text was missing.

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Michelle L. Gill"

      • Herman
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 3, 2005
          Michelle L. Gill wrote:
          > One more thing, the DHCP line that you add to ifcfg-wlan0 should
          > take care of setting the default gateway and obtainin an IP, if you
          > have DHCP configured. I bet you've had to configure them from a
          > command line in the past because this line of text was missing.

          If the DHCP server is configured correctly, then it will send all the
          info to the client, including the default GW. So, if you don't receive
          all the network info, then check the server.

          Cheers,

          H.
        • Herman
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 3, 2005
            Michelle L. Gill wrote:
            > The following may not apply to running linux from a boot disk, but I
            > am able to get my BCM4306 card to work on a Suse 9.3 install (not
            > boot from CD) without running any external scripts. If you end up
            > installing Knoppix, I bet my procedure would work well for you. I
            > have posted about it before:
            >
            > You need to set a flag in the /etc/sysconfig/kernel config file so
            > that ndiswrapper is loaded on boot. Knoppix may have the files in a
            > slightly different place, but the settings should be easy to fix
            > once you find the file.
            >
            > Finally, and this was tricky to find, you need to add the following
            > line to your /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-wlan0 (of whatever Knoppix
            > calls it) file:
            > DHCLIENT_PRIMARY_DEVICE='yes'
            > There is a problem with DHCP when it tries to resolve multiple
            > network interfaces (like on a laptop when you have wireless and
            > ethernet cards). You can also set your network ID and password in
            > this file. I keep copies of the file for each wireless network I
            > use. All of this is described in more detail--just follow the link
            > above.

            Cool. I basically use Knoppix as a test and debug CD, not as a
            permanent hard disk installation. Getting the WiFi adaptor to work was
            more of a mental exercise than a practical thing, to see how much effort
            it would take to get a WiFi thing to work on a machine.

            Cheers,

            Herman