Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Inspiron 1150 with WLAN 1350 Mini-PCI (BCM4306) working. Knoppix 3.7

  • Herman
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
      Herman wrote:

      I created a little wup script and got this going:
      #! /bin/bash
      ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf
      modprobe ndiswrapper
      ndiswrapper -m
      iwconfig wlan0 mode managed essid whatever
      ifconfig wlan0 up

      Now the remaining problem is getting DHCP to work. Knoppix ships with
      pump, and this command is supposed to get an IP address:
      pump -i wlan0

      Except that it doesn't work for me.

      Does anyone know how to get this sad excuse for a DHCP client to do
      something?

      Cheers,

      H.
    • Herman
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
        Herman wrote:

        I created a little wup script and got this going:
        #! /bin/bash
        ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5a.inf
        modprobe ndiswrapper
        ndiswrapper -m
        iwconfig wlan0 mode managed essid whateverssid key deadd00d12
        ifconfig wlan0 up
        pump -i wlan0

        It sure helps if the essid and key is specified right...

        Save the wup script, bcmwl5a.inf and bcmwl5.sys on /mnt/uba1 and make
        wup executable.

        You can make various scripts depending on which WAP you have to connect
        to, home, office, whatever.

        Cheers

        H.
      • bruce_marsh
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
          Thanks for the help!

          -Bruce

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Herman <herman@a...>
          wrote:
          > Herman wrote:
          >
          > I created a little wup script and got this going:
          > #! /bin/bash
          > ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5a.inf
          > modprobe ndiswrapper
          > ndiswrapper -m
          > iwconfig wlan0 mode managed essid whateverssid key deadd00d12
          > ifconfig wlan0 up
          > pump -i wlan0
          >
          > It sure helps if the essid and key is specified right...
          >
          > Save the wup script, bcmwl5a.inf and bcmwl5.sys on /mnt/uba1 and
          make
          > wup executable.
          >
          > You can make various scripts depending on which WAP you have to
          connect
          > to, home, office, whatever.
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > H.
        • Michelle L. Gill
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 3, 2005
            The following may not apply to running linux from a boot disk, but I
            am able to get my BCM4306 card to work on a Suse 9.3 install (not
            boot from CD) without running any external scripts. If you end up
            installing Knoppix, I bet my procedure would work well for you. I
            have posted about it before:

            You need to set a flag in the /etc/sysconfig/kernel config file so
            that ndiswrapper is loaded on boot. Knoppix may have the files in a
            slightly different place, but the settings should be easy to fix
            once you find the file.

            Finally, and this was tricky to find, you need to add the following
            line to your /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-wlan0 (of whatever Knoppix
            calls it) file:
            DHCLIENT_PRIMARY_DEVICE='yes'
            There is a problem with DHCP when it tries to resolve multiple
            network interfaces (like on a laptop when you have wireless and
            ethernet cards). You can also set your network ID and password in
            this file. I keep copies of the file for each wireless network I
            use. All of this is described in more detail--just follow the link
            above.

            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "bruce_marsh"
            <bruce_marsh@y...> wrote:
            > Thanks for the help!
            >
            > -Bruce
            >
            > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Herman <herman@a...>
            > wrote:
            > > Herman wrote:
            > >
            > > I created a little wup script and got this going:
            > > #! /bin/bash
            > > ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5a.inf
            > > modprobe ndiswrapper
            > > ndiswrapper -m
            > > iwconfig wlan0 mode managed essid whateverssid key deadd00d12
            > > ifconfig wlan0 up
            > > pump -i wlan0
            > >
            > > It sure helps if the essid and key is specified right...
            > >
            > > Save the wup script, bcmwl5a.inf and bcmwl5.sys on /mnt/uba1 and

            > make
            > > wup executable.
            > >
            > > You can make various scripts depending on which WAP you have to
            > connect
            > > to, home, office, whatever.
            > >
            > > Cheers
            > >
            > > H.
          • Michelle L. Gill
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 3, 2005
              One more thing, the DHCP line that you add to ifcfg-wlan0 should
              take care of setting the default gateway and obtainin an IP, if you
              have DHCP configured. I bet you've had to configure them from a
              command line in the past because this line of text was missing.

              --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Michelle L. Gill"

            • Herman
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 3, 2005
                Michelle L. Gill wrote:
                > One more thing, the DHCP line that you add to ifcfg-wlan0 should
                > take care of setting the default gateway and obtainin an IP, if you
                > have DHCP configured. I bet you've had to configure them from a
                > command line in the past because this line of text was missing.

                If the DHCP server is configured correctly, then it will send all the
                info to the client, including the default GW. So, if you don't receive
                all the network info, then check the server.

                Cheers,

                H.
              • Herman
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 3, 2005
                  Michelle L. Gill wrote:
                  > The following may not apply to running linux from a boot disk, but I
                  > am able to get my BCM4306 card to work on a Suse 9.3 install (not
                  > boot from CD) without running any external scripts. If you end up
                  > installing Knoppix, I bet my procedure would work well for you. I
                  > have posted about it before:
                  >
                  > You need to set a flag in the /etc/sysconfig/kernel config file so
                  > that ndiswrapper is loaded on boot. Knoppix may have the files in a
                  > slightly different place, but the settings should be easy to fix
                  > once you find the file.
                  >
                  > Finally, and this was tricky to find, you need to add the following
                  > line to your /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-wlan0 (of whatever Knoppix
                  > calls it) file:
                  > DHCLIENT_PRIMARY_DEVICE='yes'
                  > There is a problem with DHCP when it tries to resolve multiple
                  > network interfaces (like on a laptop when you have wireless and
                  > ethernet cards). You can also set your network ID and password in
                  > this file. I keep copies of the file for each wireless network I
                  > use. All of this is described in more detail--just follow the link
                  > above.

                  Cool. I basically use Knoppix as a test and debug CD, not as a
                  permanent hard disk installation. Getting the WiFi adaptor to work was
                  more of a mental exercise than a practical thing, to see how much effort
                  it would take to get a WiFi thing to work on a machine.

                  Cheers,

                  Herman