Inspiron 1150 with WLAN 1350 Mini-PCI (BCM4306) working. Knoppix 3.7

  • bruce_marsh
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
      I am writing this message on my Dell Inspiron 1150 with the Dell
      WLAN 1350 Mini-PCI Card.

      I'm running Knoppix 3.7 booting from the CD.

      My only problem is that I don't know how to make these changes
      permanent.

      Here's how I got the wireless card working:

      First, download R81433.exe from ftp://ftp.dell.com/network while
      running Windows XP. Then run the program, and it will self-extract
      into c:\Dell\drivers\81433

      Boot to the Knoppix CD, and type:

      knoppix myconfig=scan home=scan

      for the boot option.

      (If this is your first time running Knoppix you can just type:
      knoppix for the boot option).

      Click the knoppix menu (the penguin at the bottom left of the
      screen). Go to Network/Internet and then click on ndiswrapper
      configuration. Click OK.

      In the Selection: text box, type

      /mnt/hdc2/DELL/drivers/R81433/AR/bcmwl5a.inf

      and click OK

      Next, click the knoppix menu, go to Network/Internet, and click
      Wavelan configuration.

      Enter your ESSID when asked.

      If your wireless network is protected, answer the rest of the
      questions as required. Otherwise just leave the rest of the boxes
      blank.

      Now, click the knoppix menu, and click Root Shell

      The following is for a laptop with a static IP address of
      192.168.1.25 and a default gateway of 192.168.1.1:

      Type the following lines in the root shell:

      ifconfig wlan0 192.168.1.25 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

      route add 192.168.1.25 wlan0

      route add default gw 192.168.1.1 wlan0

      route add -host 127.0.0.1 lo

      kwrite

      That last line opens the kwrite editor.

      Click File, Open, and in the location text box type /etc/resolv.conf

      add a line to the bottom of the file:

      nameserver yourDNSserversIPaddress

      for example:

      nameserver 68.87.64.196

      would be the line to add for Comcast's DNS server.

      Save the file, and then try a web browser.

      Now, the only problem is that I don't know to make these settings
      permanent. I've tried doing the Save Knoppix Configuration, but the
      settings are gone each time I restart. (It does retain my data
      files and bookmarks, though) I assume that the problem is that the
      files that I'm changing are being overwritten by knoppix each time I
      restart.

      I don't know enough about Linux and Knoppix to know how to fix this.

      Any ideas?
    • Herman
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
        Yup - same damn problem over here.

        The way to fix it is to write a little script and store it and the .inf
        and .sys files on the USB dongle, then run it after startup.

        Something like this should get you going, file wup:

        #! /bin/bash
        /wherever/ndiswrapper -i /mnt/wherever/driver.inf
        /wherever/iwconfig wlan0 essid=whatever mode=managed
        /wherever/ifconfig wlan0 up
        /wherever/dhclient wlan0

        Read the man pages for details, but the above parameters are all you
        need as far as I know.

        'Hope this helps!

        Cheers,

        Herman

        Herman Oosthuysen, B.Eng(E), MIEEE
        #207, 908 - 17th Ave SW
        Calgary, AB, T2T 0A3, Canada
        Phone: 1.403.228-4181
        http://www.AerospaceSoftware.com
      • Herman
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
          Herman wrote:

          I created a little wup script and got this going:
          #! /bin/bash
          ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf
          modprobe ndiswrapper
          ndiswrapper -m
          iwconfig wlan0 mode managed essid whatever
          ifconfig wlan0 up

          Now the remaining problem is getting DHCP to work. Knoppix ships with
          pump, and this command is supposed to get an IP address:
          pump -i wlan0

          Except that it doesn't work for me.

          Does anyone know how to get this sad excuse for a DHCP client to do
          something?

          Cheers,

          H.
        • Herman
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
            Herman wrote:

            I created a little wup script and got this going:
            #! /bin/bash
            ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5a.inf
            modprobe ndiswrapper
            ndiswrapper -m
            iwconfig wlan0 mode managed essid whateverssid key deadd00d12
            ifconfig wlan0 up
            pump -i wlan0

            It sure helps if the essid and key is specified right...

            Save the wup script, bcmwl5a.inf and bcmwl5.sys on /mnt/uba1 and make
            wup executable.

            You can make various scripts depending on which WAP you have to connect
            to, home, office, whatever.

            Cheers

            H.
          • bruce_marsh
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
              Thanks for the help!

              -Bruce

              --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Herman <herman@a...>
              wrote:
              > Herman wrote:
              >
              > I created a little wup script and got this going:
              > #! /bin/bash
              > ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5a.inf
              > modprobe ndiswrapper
              > ndiswrapper -m
              > iwconfig wlan0 mode managed essid whateverssid key deadd00d12
              > ifconfig wlan0 up
              > pump -i wlan0
              >
              > It sure helps if the essid and key is specified right...
              >
              > Save the wup script, bcmwl5a.inf and bcmwl5.sys on /mnt/uba1 and
              make
              > wup executable.
              >
              > You can make various scripts depending on which WAP you have to
              connect
              > to, home, office, whatever.
              >
              > Cheers
              >
              > H.
            • Michelle L. Gill
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 3, 2005
                The following may not apply to running linux from a boot disk, but I
                am able to get my BCM4306 card to work on a Suse 9.3 install (not
                boot from CD) without running any external scripts. If you end up
                installing Knoppix, I bet my procedure would work well for you. I
                have posted about it before:

                You need to set a flag in the /etc/sysconfig/kernel config file so
                that ndiswrapper is loaded on boot. Knoppix may have the files in a
                slightly different place, but the settings should be easy to fix
                once you find the file.

                Finally, and this was tricky to find, you need to add the following
                line to your /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-wlan0 (of whatever Knoppix
                calls it) file:
                DHCLIENT_PRIMARY_DEVICE='yes'
                There is a problem with DHCP when it tries to resolve multiple
                network interfaces (like on a laptop when you have wireless and
                ethernet cards). You can also set your network ID and password in
                this file. I keep copies of the file for each wireless network I
                use. All of this is described in more detail--just follow the link
                above.

                --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "bruce_marsh"
                <bruce_marsh@y...> wrote:
                > Thanks for the help!
                >
                > -Bruce
                >
                > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Herman <herman@a...>
                > wrote:
                > > Herman wrote:
                > >
                > > I created a little wup script and got this going:
                > > #! /bin/bash
                > > ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5a.inf
                > > modprobe ndiswrapper
                > > ndiswrapper -m
                > > iwconfig wlan0 mode managed essid whateverssid key deadd00d12
                > > ifconfig wlan0 up
                > > pump -i wlan0
                > >
                > > It sure helps if the essid and key is specified right...
                > >
                > > Save the wup script, bcmwl5a.inf and bcmwl5.sys on /mnt/uba1 and

                > make
                > > wup executable.
                > >
                > > You can make various scripts depending on which WAP you have to
                > connect
                > > to, home, office, whatever.
                > >
                > > Cheers
                > >
                > > H.
              • Michelle L. Gill
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 3, 2005
                  One more thing, the DHCP line that you add to ifcfg-wlan0 should
                  take care of setting the default gateway and obtainin an IP, if you
                  have DHCP configured. I bet you've had to configure them from a
                  command line in the past because this line of text was missing.

                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Michelle L. Gill"

                • Herman
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 3, 2005
                    Michelle L. Gill wrote:
                    > One more thing, the DHCP line that you add to ifcfg-wlan0 should
                    > take care of setting the default gateway and obtainin an IP, if you
                    > have DHCP configured. I bet you've had to configure them from a
                    > command line in the past because this line of text was missing.

                    If the DHCP server is configured correctly, then it will send all the
                    info to the client, including the default GW. So, if you don't receive
                    all the network info, then check the server.

                    Cheers,

                    H.
                  • Herman
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 3, 2005
                      Michelle L. Gill wrote:
                      > The following may not apply to running linux from a boot disk, but I
                      > am able to get my BCM4306 card to work on a Suse 9.3 install (not
                      > boot from CD) without running any external scripts. If you end up
                      > installing Knoppix, I bet my procedure would work well for you. I
                      > have posted about it before:
                      >
                      > You need to set a flag in the /etc/sysconfig/kernel config file so
                      > that ndiswrapper is loaded on boot. Knoppix may have the files in a
                      > slightly different place, but the settings should be easy to fix
                      > once you find the file.
                      >
                      > Finally, and this was tricky to find, you need to add the following
                      > line to your /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-wlan0 (of whatever Knoppix
                      > calls it) file:
                      > DHCLIENT_PRIMARY_DEVICE='yes'
                      > There is a problem with DHCP when it tries to resolve multiple
                      > network interfaces (like on a laptop when you have wireless and
                      > ethernet cards). You can also set your network ID and password in
                      > this file. I keep copies of the file for each wireless network I
                      > use. All of this is described in more detail--just follow the link
                      > above.

                      Cool. I basically use Knoppix as a test and debug CD, not as a
                      permanent hard disk installation. Getting the WiFi adaptor to work was
                      more of a mental exercise than a practical thing, to see how much effort
                      it would take to get a WiFi thing to work on a machine.

                      Cheers,

                      Herman