Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [linux-dell-laptops] wireless on i9300

Expand Messages
  • Haedn Thorn
    ... Check out rfswitch.sf.net ... I haven t tried it with my ipw2200 since mine defaults to on, but I think it could get you going.
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2005
    • 0 Attachment
      --- Walter Cazzola <cazzola@...> wrote:

      >
      > I have already checked, I have just three options: always off, hw on/off
      > and sw on/off, at the moment is on the hw on/off and starts as off
      > (thence I cannot turn it on :-(()

      Check out rfswitch.sf.net ... I haven't tried it with my ipw2200 since mine
      defaults to on, but I think it could get you going.
    • ken
      ... Well, then that s the basic problem. If you can t turn the radio on, you re not going to be able to use the wireless! Maybe if you set the BIOS to sw
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2005
      • 0 Attachment
        Walter Cazzola wrote:

        >Ken,
        >thanks for the help.
        >
        >On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, ken wrote:
        >
        >
        >
        >>>I have noted that the FN-F2 key (as well as any other FN key) that I
        >>>have to use to turno on/off the wifi card doesn't work. Thence my card
        >>>is turned off and the scan doesn't work.
        >>>
        >>>
        >
        >
        >
        >>You might want to check in the BIOS to see if the "radio" is turned on.
        >>You might have a key combo (mine's FN-F2) to turn the "radio" on/off.
        >>
        >>
        >
        >I have already checked, I have just three options: always off, hw on/off
        >and sw on/off, at the moment is on the hw on/off and starts as off
        >(thence I cannot turn it on :-(()
        >
        >

        Well, then that's the basic problem. If you can't turn the radio on,
        you're not going to be able to use the wireless!

        Maybe if you set the BIOS to "sw on/off", you could find a way to turn
        it on with some software... perhaps even FN-F2...?


        >
        >
        >>Also check to ensure you're doing "iwlist scan" for the correct
        >>interface... you can double-check this in /proc/net/wireless for one.
        >>
        >>

        (Asking a second time....) What is the output from "cat
        /proc/net/wireless"?

        >
        >iwconfig says me that I have only eth2 and I'm scanning it without
        >results :-(((
        >
        >

        What does "ifconfig" tell you?


        >I think that I have to find the way to us the FN-F2 key to turn on the
        >radio. Any other idea?
        >
        >

        Play around with configuring FN-F2 later... after you have the wireless
        working properly.


        >thank you
        >
        >Walter
        >
        >
        >


        --
        A lot of us are working harder than we want, at things we don't like to
        do. Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care to live.
        -- Bradford Angier
      • Herman
        The radio should default to on. If it doesn t, then there is something wrong with the driver. When all else fails, try the very latest ndiswrapper and a
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1, 2005
        • 0 Attachment
          The radio should default to on. If it doesn't, then there is something
          wrong with the driver.

          When all else fails, try the very latest ndiswrapper and a Windoze
          driver - works for me. You can experiment using Knoppix 4.0. It has a
          ndiswrapper and iwconfig wizard.

          Once you have it working, then worry about Fn-F2 - though you will
          probably be so happy to have it working, that by then you won't be
          bothered with those keys anymore. ;-)

          Cheers,

          H.
        • Walter Cazzola
          On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, ken wrote: [BIOS settings] ... right, in fact I would like to turn it on :-((( ... well, from what I read (but it could be wrong) the hw
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 4, 2005
          • 0 Attachment
            On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, ken wrote:

            [BIOS settings]

            >> I have already checked, I have just three options: always off, hw on/off
            >> and sw on/off, at the moment is on the hw on/off and starts as off
            >> (thence I cannot turn it on :-(()

            > Well, then that's the basic problem. If you can't turn the radio on,
            > you're not going to be able to use the wireless!

            right, in fact I would like to turn it on :-(((

            > Maybe if you set the BIOS to "sw on/off", you could find a way to turn
            > it on with some software... perhaps even FN-F2...?

            well, from what I read (but it could be wrong) the "hw on/off" option
            should enable me to turn on/off the radio from linux, because it is an
            HW switch as the CRT/LCD switch not interpreted by the OS.

            > (Asking a second time....) What is the output from "cat
            > /proc/net/wireless"?

            # cat /proc/net/wireless
            Inter-| sta-| Quality | Discarded packets | Missed | WE
            face | tus | link level noise | nwid crypt frag retry misc | beacon | 17
            eth2: 0000 0. 0. 0. 0 0 0 0 0 0


            >> iwconfig says me that I have only eth2 and I'm scanning it without
            >> results :-(((

            > What does "ifconfig" tell you?


            # ifconfig eth2
            eth2 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:00:00:00:00:00
            inet6 addr: fe80::200:ff:fe00:0/64 Scope:Link
            UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
            RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
            TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:1
            collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
            RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
            Interrupt:17 Base address:0xe000 Memory:dcffd000-dcffdfff

            uhm, just now, I have noted the "inet6 address" I don't think it is the
            problem but I don't use IPv6, really strange.

            >> I think that I have to find the way to us the FN-F2 key to turn on the
            >> radio. Any other idea?

            > Play around with configuring FN-F2 later... after you have the wireless
            > working properly.

            Ok, I agree with you, what do you think from the date above, is it well
            configurated?

            thank you
            Walter
            --
            Walter Cazzola, PhD - Assistant Professor, DICo, University of Milano
            E-mail cazzola@... Ph.: +39 010 353 6637 Fax: +39 010 353 6699
            · · · --------------------------- · · · --------------------------- · · ·
          • Walter Cazzola
            ... uhm, I didn t try it but it looks they do not supports dell laptops, BTW, I ll keep it in mind and if anything else work I ll try it. thank you for the
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 4, 2005
            • 0 Attachment
              On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, Haedn Thorn wrote:

              >> I have already checked, I have just three options: always off, hw on/off
              >> and sw on/off, at the moment is on the hw on/off and starts as off
              >> (thence I cannot turn it on :-(()

              > Check out rfswitch.sf.net ... I haven't tried it with my ipw2200 since mine
              > defaults to on, but I think it could get you going.

              uhm, I didn't try it but it looks they do not supports dell laptops, BTW,
              I'll keep it in mind and if anything else work I'll try it.

              thank you for the link.
              Walter

              --
              Walter Cazzola, PhD - Assistant Professor, DICo, University of Milano
              E-mail cazzola@... Ph.: +39 010 353 6637 Fax: +39 010 353 6699
              · · · --------------------------- · · · --------------------------- · · ·
              ... recursive: adjective, see recursive ...
              · · · --------------------------- · · · --------------------------- · · ·
            • Joakim Olsson
              Hi, Just jumping into the discussion without all the background info but have ju placed the latest ipw2200 firmware in the correct place?
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 4, 2005
              • 0 Attachment
                Hi,

                Just jumping into the discussion without all the background info but
                have ju placed the latest ipw2200 firmware in the correct place?
                (/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware on my Debian-laptop)

                Best regards,
                Joakim


                Walter Cazzola wrote:

                >On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, Haedn Thorn wrote:
                >
                >
                >
                >>>I have already checked, I have just three options: always off, hw on/off
                >>>and sw on/off, at the moment is on the hw on/off and starts as off
                >>>(thence I cannot turn it on :-(()
                >>>
                >>>
                >
                >
                >
                >>Check out rfswitch.sf.net ... I haven't tried it with my ipw2200 since mine
                >>defaults to on, but I think it could get you going.
                >>
                >>
                >
                >uhm, I didn't try it but it looks they do not supports dell laptops, BTW,
                >I'll keep it in mind and if anything else work I'll try it.
                >
                >thank you for the link.
                >Walter
                >
                >
                >
              • Walter Cazzola
                ... well, I don t know if it is the last release but I have istalled the rpm ipw2200-firmware-2.2-3plf and the firmware is exactly in the place you say. I
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 4, 2005
                • 0 Attachment
                  On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, Joakim Olsson wrote:

                  > Just jumping into the discussion without all the background info but
                  > have ju placed the latest ipw2200 firmware in the correct place?
                  > (/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware on my Debian-laptop)

                  well, I don't know if it is the last release but I have istalled the rpm

                  ipw2200-firmware-2.2-3plf

                  and the firmware is exactly in the place you say. I cannot check if it
                  is the last release because the version number changes from distribution
                  to distribution.

                  Thank you for the suggestion.

                  Walter

                  --
                  Walter Cazzola, PhD - Assistant Professor, DICo, University of Milano
                  E-mail cazzola@... Ph.: +39 010 353 6637 Fax: +39 010 353 6699
                  · · · --------------------------- · · · --------------------------- · · ·
                  ... recursive: adjective, see recursive ...
                  · · · --------------------------- · · · --------------------------- · · ·
                • Herman
                  ... I suggest that you go to the Intel project site and get the latest driver and firmware there. http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/ Cheers, -- -- Herman
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 4, 2005
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Walter Cazzola wrote:
                    > On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, Joakim Olsson wrote:
                    >
                    >
                    >>Just jumping into the discussion without all the background info but
                    >>have ju placed the latest ipw2200 firmware in the correct place?
                    >>(/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware on my Debian-laptop)
                    >
                    >
                    > well, I don't know if it is the last release but I have istalled the rpm
                    >
                    > ipw2200-firmware-2.2-3plf
                    >
                    > and the firmware is exactly in the place you say. I cannot check if it
                    > is the last release because the version number changes from distribution
                    > to distribution.
                    >
                    > Thank you for the suggestion.
                    >
                    > Walter
                    >

                    I suggest that you go to the Intel project site and get the latest
                    driver and firmware there.
                    http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/

                    Cheers,
                    --
                    --
                    Herman Oosthuysen, B.Eng(E), MIEEE
                    #207, 908 - 17th Ave SW
                    Calgary, AB, T2T 0A3, Canada
                    Phone: 1.403.228-4181
                    http://www.AerospaceSoftware.com
                  • Walter Cazzola
                    ... I m downloading it, there is a way to know the version of the currently installed firmware? BTW I got some success in installing kwifimanager now I m able
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 4, 2005
                    • 0 Attachment
                      On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, Herman wrote:

                      > I suggest that you go to the Intel project site and get the latest
                      > driver and firmware there.
                      > http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/

                      I'm downloading it, there is a way to know the version of the currently
                      installed firmware?

                      BTW I got some success in installing kwifimanager now I'm able to
                      connecting to the wifi network:

                      eth2 Scan completed :
                      Cell 01 - Address: 00:C0:49:DA:9E:D5
                      ESSID:"educwifi"
                      Protocol:IEEE 802.11bg
                      Mode:Master
                      Channel:11
                      Encryption key:off
                      Bit Rate:54 Mb/s
                      Extra: Rates (Mb/s): 1 2 5.5 6 9 11 12 18 22 24 36 48 54
                      Signal level=-76 dBm
                      Extra: Last beacon: 40ms ago

                      but the signal is too low to experiment the navigation, I look for
                      another AP and try again but I'm trusting that now it is working.

                      thanks to all the help

                      Walter

                      --
                      Walter Cazzola, PhD - Assistant Professor, DICo, University of Milano
                      E-mail cazzola@... Ph.: +39 010 353 6637 Fax: +39 010 353 6699
                      · · · --------------------------- · · · --------------------------- · · ·
                      ... recursive: adjective, see recursive ...
                      · · · --------------------------- · · · --------------------------- · · ·
                    • ken
                      ... Sorry, I ve been away on vacation. Yeah, you shouldn t have eth2 configured for an IPv6 address. Check the configuration file. -- A lot of us are working
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 9, 2005
                      • 0 Attachment
                        Walter Cazzola wrote:

                        >On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, ken wrote:
                        >
                        >[BIOS settings]
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >>>I have already checked, I have just three options: always off, hw on/off
                        >>>and sw on/off, at the moment is on the hw on/off and starts as off
                        >>>(thence I cannot turn it on :-(()
                        >>>
                        >>>
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >>Well, then that's the basic problem. If you can't turn the radio on,
                        >>you're not going to be able to use the wireless!
                        >>
                        >>
                        >
                        >right, in fact I would like to turn it on :-(((
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >>Maybe if you set the BIOS to "sw on/off", you could find a way to turn
                        >>it on with some software... perhaps even FN-F2...?
                        >>
                        >>
                        >
                        >well, from what I read (but it could be wrong) the "hw on/off" option
                        >should enable me to turn on/off the radio from linux, because it is an
                        >HW switch as the CRT/LCD switch not interpreted by the OS.
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >>(Asking a second time....) What is the output from "cat
                        >>/proc/net/wireless"?
                        >>
                        >>
                        >
                        ># cat /proc/net/wireless
                        >Inter-| sta-| Quality | Discarded packets | Missed | WE
                        > face | tus | link level noise | nwid crypt frag retry misc | beacon | 17
                        > eth2: 0000 0. 0. 0. 0 0 0 0 0 0
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >>>iwconfig says me that I have only eth2 and I'm scanning it without
                        >>>results :-(((
                        >>>
                        >>>
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >>What does "ifconfig" tell you?
                        >>
                        >>
                        >
                        >
                        ># ifconfig eth2
                        >eth2 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:00:00:00:00:00
                        > inet6 addr: fe80::200:ff:fe00:0/64 Scope:Link
                        > UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
                        > RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
                        > TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:1
                        > collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
                        > RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
                        > Interrupt:17 Base address:0xe000 Memory:dcffd000-dcffdfff
                        >
                        >uhm, just now, I have noted the "inet6 address" I don't think it is the
                        >problem but I don't use IPv6, really strange.
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >>>I think that I have to find the way to us the FN-F2 key to turn on the
                        >>>radio. Any other idea?
                        >>>
                        >>>
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >>Play around with configuring FN-F2 later... after you have the wireless
                        >>working properly.
                        >>
                        >>
                        >
                        >Ok, I agree with you, what do you think from the date above, is it well
                        >configurated?
                        >
                        >thank you
                        >Walter
                        >
                        >

                        Sorry, I've been away on vacation.

                        Yeah, you shouldn't have eth2 configured for an IPv6 address. Check the
                        configuration file.

                        --
                        A lot of us are working harder than we want, at things we don't like to
                        do. Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care to live.
                        -- Bradford Angier
                      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.