Re: [linux-dell-laptops] suse 9.3 monitoring fan

  • ken
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 30, 2005
      Alexandre Tessier wrote:

      > [....]
      >
      >Are you using APM or ACPI?
      >You can see fan activity with "cat /proc/i8k", you have to load the i8k
      >module (you may have also something in /proc/acpi/fan/).
      >You can monitor fans with this small gnome applet:
      >http://users.adelphia.net/~dceubank/gi8k/index.html
      >(I have used it in the past and it works very well, but I think you have
      >to use APM)
      >or you can use command lines from the i8kutils:
      >http://people.debian.org/~dz/i8k/
      >
      >Alex.

      Alex,

      Thanks much for the info.

      I've been running gkrellm and it's a nice application. It shows the
      battery state-- for both batteries if I have the second in the modular
      bay. It also shows the temperature. There's a menu item in the
      configuration window for "Fan", but it doesn't allow me to configure
      settings for reading the fans.

      /proc/i8k doesn't exist until I load the i8k module; moreover, I have to
      use the "force" option on it to get it to load. After doing this, then
      yes /proc/i8k shows up and does have data in it. But no change in
      gkrellm... I still can't configure it.

      This 9.3 Pro system running Gnome also has "powersave", a command for
      reading and setting a lot of power management functions. It has an
      option for reading the fans, but running it just says "no fan devices
      available." Likewise, /proc/acpi/fan/ is empty. Installing the i8k
      module changes neither of these.

      This I600m has an A09 BIOS; this BIOS shows the battery level(s), but
      doesn't show anything at all about fans. I'm thinking this is why I'm
      not getting any information at all about the fans. On the other hand,
      the BIOS doesn't report the temperature, but all of the abovementioned
      apps do nicely report the temp. (???)

      Looking at the README for the I8KUTILS package (from
      <http://people.debian.org/~dz/i8k/>) you mentioned says that I have to
      have APM running. I tried running this a month or two ago and it
      screwed up more things than it fixed. So I'm staying with APM. (I'm
      not certain anymore, but I believe I can run one or the other, but not
      both APM and ACPI, yes?)

      I downloaded and installed gi8k, but it didn't show up in the panel,
      even after reloading X (gnome). So right-clicked on the panel, clicked
      "Add" on the popup, and selected "gi8k thermal monitor" and got the error:

      The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:GNOME_gi8kApplet"

      Just to make sure my panel was working okay, I changed some params on it
      and added other panel applets, and all that worked fine.

      Dead end?

      Thanks again for the tips.

      ken

      do. Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care to live.
      -- Bradford Angier
    • ken
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 1, 2005
        Fixed a typo in previous post.