need hellp

  • vishwa
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 26, 2005
      hi,
      sound is not coming in dell latitude cpx h500gt. with redhat 3 update 3 .

      kindly advice
      regards
      vishwa

      info.............
      unmae -----------output
      Linux localhost.localdomain 2.4.21-20.EL #1 Wed Aug 18 20:58:25 EDT
      2004 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
      lsmod --------------output
      Module Size Used by Not tainted
      soundcore 6372 0 (autoclean)
      ide-cd 33920 0 (autoclean)
      cdrom 32096 0 (autoclean) [ide-cd]
      lp 8932 0 (autoclean)
      parport 36800 0 (autoclean) [lp]
      autofs4 15896 0 (autoclean) (unused)
      3c59x 29616 1
      ds 8576 2
      yenta_socket 13728 2
      pcmcia_core 56768 0 [ds yenta_socket]
      audit 89656 3
      floppy 56592 0 (autoclean)
      sg 36140 0 (autoclean) (unused)
      scsi_mod 105896 1 (autoclean) [sg]
      microcode 5656 0 (autoclean)
      keybdev 2944 0 (unused)
      mousedev 5492 1
      hid 22084 0 (unused)
      input 5856 0 [keybdev mousedev hid]
      usb-uhci 25836 0 (unused)
      usbcore 77280 1 [hid usb-uhci]
      ext3 85704 3
      jbd 50572 3 [ext3]
      /etc/modules.conf -----------output
      alias eth0 3c59x
      alias usb-controller usb-uhci
      alias sound-slot-0 maestro
      post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L
      >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
      pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S
      >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
      00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX Host
      bridge (rev 03)

      /etc/modules.conf -----------output
      alias eth0 3c59x
      alias usb-controller usb-uhci
      alias sound-slot-0 maestro
      post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L
      >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
      pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S
      >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
      00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX Host
      bridge (rev 03)
      lspci -v ------------Output
      00:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology ES1978 Maestro 2E
      (rev 10)
      Subsystem: Dell: Unknown device 00aa
      I/O ports at d800 [size=256]
      cat /var/log/messages ----------Output
      Jun 26 10:36:21 localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
      sound-service-0-3
      Jun 26 10:36:22 localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
      sound-slot-0
      Jun 26 10:36:22 localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
      sound-service-0-3
      Jun 26 10:36:24 localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
      sound-slot-0
      Jun 26 10:36:24 localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
      sound-service-0-3
      Jun 26 10:36:28 localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
      sound-slot-0
      Jun 26 10:36:28 localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
      sound-service-0-3
      Jun 26 10:55:00 localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
      sound-slot-0
      Jun 26 10:55:00 localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
      sound-service-0-3
      Jun 26 10:55:01 localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
      sound-slot-0
      Jun 26 10:55:01 localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
      sound-service-0-3
      Jun 26 10:55:03 localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
      sound-slot-0
      Jun 26 10:55:03 localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
      sound-service-0-3
      Jun 26 10:55:07 localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
      sound-slot-0
      Jun 26 10:55:07 localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
      sound-service-0-3
    • Herman
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 26, 2005
        vishwa wrote:
        > hi,
        > sound is not coming in dell latitude cpx h500gt. with redhat 3 update 3 .

        Run kmix and try the 'external amplifier' switch. It may help.

        Cheers,

        H.
      • Pawel Drapala
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 26, 2005
          Is there any risks involved in running Linux on
          laptops? Like, for example, overheating or decreasing
          the life of the screen.

          Yahoo! Sports
          http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
        • Haedn Thorn
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 26, 2005
            --- Herman <herman@...> wrote:

            > vishwa wrote:
            > > hi,
            > > sound is not coming in dell latitude cpx h500gt. with redhat 3 update 3 .
            >
            > Run kmix and try the 'external amplifier' switch. It may help.

            I'm pretty sure that won't work until the module for his sound device is
            loaded.

            Have you checked the relavant information at http://www.alsa-project.org?
          • Haedn Thorn
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 26, 2005
              --- Pawel Drapala <pwdrapala@...> wrote:

              > Is there any risks involved in running Linux on
              > laptops? Like, for example, overheating or decreasing
              > the life of the screen.

              Not really. Some of the power-save features aren't working yet on a number of
              models, so battery life might be a little shorter than a properly configured
              Windows box. I don't really notice much difference on my 600m. ...
            • Christoph Eckert
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 26, 2005
                > sound is not coming in dell latitude cpx h500gt. with
                > redhat 3 update 3 .

                I'm not familiar with Red Hat. It seems you tried to manually
                configure your sound devices. Did you try alsaconf which is
                usually part of the package alsa-utils? If not, try it and
                see if your soundcard gets detected.

                If so, it can modify the modules file for you.

                Best regards

                ce
              • theashworld
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 27, 2005
                  There seem to be no risks in running linux unless you intend to do
                  some harm deliberately!

                  Also, a lot of power-saving features have been added to the linux
                  kernel making it a lot laptop-friendly. There have been some
                  unconfirmed reports about linux laptops actually giving more
                  preformance then windows in some forums. In any case, I believe you
                  should be able to get decent performance at least. (YMMV)

                  I've been running Fedora Core 4 since it's release on my Dell Inspiron
                  700m, and fedora core 3 before that, and it's giving great results
                  till now. :-) Here's my account:
                  http://www.cs.cornell.edu/~scs49/install_linux.html

                  Give it a shot, at least, you will learn! :-)

                  Enjoy!
                  ~Shan

                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Haedn Thorn
                  <lordhaedn@y...> wrote:

                  > --- Pawel Drapala <pwdrapala@y...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Is there any risks involved in running Linux on
                  > > laptops? Like, for example, overheating or decreasing
                  > > the life of the screen.
                  >
                  > Not really. Some of the power-save features aren't working yet on a
                  number of
                  > models, so battery life might be a little shorter than a properly
                  configured
                  > Windows box. I don't really notice much difference on my 600m. ...
                • Alexandre Tessier
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 27, 2005
                    Pawel Drapala wrote:
                    > Is there any risks involved in running Linux on
                    > laptops? Like, for example, overheating or decreasing
                    > the life of the screen.

                    I'm running Linux on an old laptop (486DX4 75Mhz) since 1994 or 1995.
                    The battery is dead! But all the other components work well (screen, hd,
                    sound, cd-rom, mouse, etc).

                    Alex.

                  • Pawel Drapala
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 3, 2005
                      Shan,

                      Thx for posting such a great website. I went ahead and
                      installed FC4 on my 700m. Everyting went smooth
                      acording to your instructions, with one exception. I
                      can't seem to get hibernate to work. I went ahead and
                      installed the new kerenl per your directions. But when
                      I try to run #hybernate in the shell, I get the
                      following:

                      hibernate: suspend reported the following errors:
                      suspend was aborted (see dmesg)

                      checking dmesg:

                      usb usb4: USB disconnect, address 1
                      usb 4-1: USB disconnect, address 2
                      uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.2: USB bus 4 deregistered
                      Software Suspend 2.1.9.1: Swapwriter: No swap
                      signature found at specified location.
                      Software Suspend 2.1.9.1: Swapwriter: No swap
                      signature found at specified location.
                      Software Suspend 2.1.9.1: Software suspend is
                      disabled.
                      This may be because you haven't put something along
                      the lines of

                      resume2=swap:/dev/hda1

                      in lilo.conf or equivalent. (Where /dev/hda1 is your
                      swap partition).
                      ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1d.7[D] -> Link [LNKH] ->
                      GSI 11 (level, low) -> IRQ 11
                      PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1d.7 to
                      64
                      ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7: EHCI Host Controller
                      ehci_hcd

                      I made sure to put the following in my grub.conf:

                      title Fedora Core (2.6.11-1.1369_FC4_cubbi8_swsusp2)
                      root (hd0,4)
                      kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4_cubbi8_swsusp2
                      ro root=LABEL=/1 resume2=swap:/VolGroup00/LogVol01
                      initrd
                      /boot/initrd-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4_cubbi8_swsusp2.img
                      title Fedora Linux (2.6.11-1.1369_FC4)

                      Because my fstab is:

                      # This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man
                      fstab-sync' for details
                      /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / ext3
                      defaults 1 1
                      LABEL=/boot /boot ext3
                      defaults 1 2
                      /dev/devpts /dev/pts devpts
                      gid=5,mode=620 0 0
                      /dev/shm /dev/shm tmpfs
                      defaults 0 0
                      /dev/proc /proc proc
                      defaults 0 0
                      /dev/sys /sys sysfs
                      defaults 0 0
                      /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap swap
                      defaults 0 0
                      /dev/hdc /media/cdrecorder auto
                      pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

                      So /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 must be my swap drive? Am
                      I missing something? Do I have to have swap as
                      seperate partition for suspend to work?

                      Thank you in advance for the help.

                      http://mail.yahoo.com