Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Power management [was Re: Fedora Core 4 on Dell Inspiron 700m]

  • Stephen Lau
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 22, 2005
      theashworld wrote:

      >My 700m was getting generating a lot of heat, so I tried -m16 and
      >also installed laptop-mode-tools. At least one of the two worked, and
      >my laptop is much cooler now (even over extended periods of usage).
      >Since laptop-mode is not always on (laptop-mode.conf has a line
      >LAPTOP_MODE_ALWAYS_ON=0) and as I am almost always connected to AC
      >power supply, I thought it was -m16 which did the trick. Am I missing
      >something?

      My guess is it's most likely the laptop mode stuff... maybe it's doing
      some other optimisation that always happens regardless of the
      LAPTOP_MODE_ALWAYS_ON setting (i.e.: if it's doing some optimisation
      that it knows is ALWAYS safe and good to do, then it might just do it
      regardless of whether or not you want your disks spun down, etc.)

      >What packages do you use for power management? Also, I haven't found
      >out a way of automatically hibernating the system after n minutes of
      >inactivity. gnome-power-manager ( on gnomefiles.org) didn't work. I
      >don't use KDE.

      Hrm, I tend to leave my system idle for long periods of time - but it's
      always plugged in, so I don't have it hibernate automatically. I just
      hibernate manually with a launcher icon. :-P
      I would think that you could write up something that would just monitor
      your X activity - and at a certain idle time, call suspend. ?

      cheers,
      steve