Fedora Core 4 on Dell Inspiron 700m

  • theashworld
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 20, 2005

      I installed Fedora Core 4 on my Dell Inspiron 700m. Check out this
      page which describes the installation and configuration steps... might
      be useful :

      http://www.cs.cornell.edu/~scs49/install_linux.html

      ~Shan
    • Stephen Lau
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 20, 2005
        theashworld wrote:

        >Hi,
        >
        >I installed Fedora Core 4 on my Dell Inspiron 700m. Check out this
        >page which describes the installation and configuration steps... might
        >be useful :
        >
        >http://www.cs.cornell.edu/~scs49/install_linux.html
        >
        >~Shan

        Hi Shan,
        Great writeup! :) just one quick comment:
        your link to: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/~scs49/ifcfg-eth1 (under
        'Setting up the wireless networking') is broken.

        cheers,
        steve
      • Suman K
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 21, 2005
          Good write up, I downloaded FC4 and will be installing
          it soon on Dell 8200, I shall post the comments.

          -Ski

          --- Stephen Lau <ldl@...> wrote:

          > theashworld wrote:
          >
          > >Hi,
          > >
          > >I installed Fedora Core 4 on my Dell Inspiron 700m.
          > Check out this
          > >page which describes the installation and
          > configuration steps... might
          > >be useful :
          > >
          > >http://www.cs.cornell.edu/~scs49/install_linux.html
          > >
          > >~Shan
          > >

          > Hi Shan,
          > Great writeup! :) just one quick comment:
          > your link to:
          > http://www.cs.cornell.edu/~scs49/ifcfg-eth1 (under
          > 'Setting up the wireless networking') is broken.
          >
          > cheers,
          > steve

          Suman Kanuganti
          IBT Engineering Services
          (913)677-3151 Ext: 672
          (913)362-5102
          www.skinetwork.org
          ski@...
        • theashworld
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 21, 2005
            Hi Stephen,

            Thanks a lot for pointing it out. It turns out that a link to any file
            without an extension is treated as a link to a directory by a browser!
            So, I've renamed the file as ifcfg-eth1.txt and also config as config.txt

            Besides, I've updated my page at
            http://www.cs.cornell.edu/~scs49/install_linux.html
            and added:
            Bug fix to get a console by hitting Alt+Ctrl+F1
            and Increasing hard disk performance part, besides updating some other
            stuff.

            Enjoy!
            ~Shan

            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Lau <ldl@g...> wrote:
            > theashworld wrote:
            >
            > >Hi,
            > >
            > >I installed Fedora Core 4 on my Dell Inspiron 700m. Check out this
            > >page which describes the installation and configuration steps... might
            > >be useful :
            > >
            > >http://www.cs.cornell.edu/~scs49/install_linux.html
            > >
            > >~Shan
            > >

            > Hi Shan,
            > Great writeup! :) just one quick comment:
            > your link to: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/~scs49/ifcfg-eth1 (under
            > 'Setting up the wireless networking') is broken.
            >
            > cheers,
            > steve
          • Stephen Lau
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 21, 2005
              theashworld wrote:

              >and Increasing hard disk performance part, besides updating some other
              >stuff.

              Hi Shan,

              On this note, adding -m16 is the same as uncommenting the
              MULTIPLE_IO=16 line. Also, on my 700m, and on Fedora Core 3, the
              settings are detected automatically pretty well, so enabling them via
              the /etc/sysconfig/harddisks line probably won't do much. Did you see a
              performance increase when you added -m16?

              [root@sencha ~]# hdparm -d -m -a /dev/hda

              /dev/hda:
              multcount = 16 (on)
              using_dma = 1 (on)
              readahead = 256 (on)

              cheers,
              steve
            • theashworld
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 22, 2005
                Hi Steve,

                Thanks for pointing it out.

                My 700m was getting generating a lot of heat, so I tried -m16 and
                also installed laptop-mode-tools. At least one of the two worked, and
                my laptop is much cooler now (even over extended periods of usage).
                Since laptop-mode is not always on (laptop-mode.conf has a line
                LAPTOP_MODE_ALWAYS_ON=0) and as I am almost always connected to AC
                power supply, I thought it was -m16 which did the trick. Am I missing
                something?

                What packages do you use for power management? Also, I haven't found
                out a way of automatically hibernating the system after n minutes of
                inactivity. gnome-power-manager ( on gnomefiles.org) didn't work. I
                don't use KDE.

                ~Shan

                --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Lau <ldl@g...> wrote:
                > theashworld wrote:
                >
                > >and Increasing hard disk performance part, besides updating some other
                > >stuff.
                > >

                > Hi Shan,
                >
                > On this note, adding -m16 is the same as uncommenting the
                > MULTIPLE_IO=16 line. Also, on my 700m, and on Fedora Core 3, the
                > settings are detected automatically pretty well, so enabling them via
                > the /etc/sysconfig/harddisks line probably won't do much. Did you
                see a
                > performance increase when you added -m16?
                >
                > [root@sencha ~]# hdparm -d -m -a /dev/hda
                >
                > /dev/hda:
                > multcount = 16 (on)
                > using_dma = 1 (on)
                > readahead = 256 (on)
                >
                > cheers,
                > steve
              • Stephen Lau
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 22, 2005
                  theashworld wrote:

                  >My 700m was getting generating a lot of heat, so I tried -m16 and
                  >also installed laptop-mode-tools. At least one of the two worked, and
                  >my laptop is much cooler now (even over extended periods of usage).
                  >Since laptop-mode is not always on (laptop-mode.conf has a line
                  >LAPTOP_MODE_ALWAYS_ON=0) and as I am almost always connected to AC
                  >power supply, I thought it was -m16 which did the trick. Am I missing
                  >something?

                  My guess is it's most likely the laptop mode stuff... maybe it's doing
                  some other optimisation that always happens regardless of the
                  LAPTOP_MODE_ALWAYS_ON setting (i.e.: if it's doing some optimisation
                  that it knows is ALWAYS safe and good to do, then it might just do it
                  regardless of whether or not you want your disks spun down, etc.)

                  >What packages do you use for power management? Also, I haven't found
                  >out a way of automatically hibernating the system after n minutes of
                  >inactivity. gnome-power-manager ( on gnomefiles.org) didn't work. I
                  >don't use KDE.

                  Hrm, I tend to leave my system idle for long periods of time - but it's
                  always plugged in, so I don't have it hibernate automatically. I just
                  hibernate manually with a launcher icon. :-P
                  I would think that you could write up something that would just monitor
                  your X activity - and at a certain idle time, call suspend. ?

                  cheers,
                  steve