Fix for 8500's poor lid button

  • Paul V. Gratz
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 17, 2005
      Guys,
      I was having this problem and found a solution that I figured I'd
      share with you all in case anyone else is having similar problems. I
      own a ~2 year old Inspiron 8500. Anyways I've been annoyed for some time
      that the laptop's lid switch (the little switch that tells the laptop to
      turn off the screen or go to sleep when the screen is closed) keeps
      breaking. I've had to replace it three times, doing so means getting
      the whole switch assembly that is above the keyboard because it comes as
      one piece. Luckily its relatively cheap ($20) and pretty easy to do
      with the dell service manuals. The root problem is that by design if
      you push the switch to flush with the hole it comes out of it will break
      (in theory this should never happen as closing the laptop leaves a
      little bit sticking out, of course in real life the laptop lid flexes
      and pushes the switch too far).

      In frustration after the third time I figured I might be able to use
      the 8600 version of the switch as the 8600 is mostly the same laptop
      except for the processor. Being newer I hoped that Dell had fixed the
      problem. I ordered the 8600 lid switch assembly and installed it on my
      8500. Everything works perfectly and they did redesign the switch
      hardware so it won't break if you push it too far. I've used it like
      this for about a month with no negative side effects. As an added bonus
      the switch assembly is the part where it actually says the model of the
      laptop so I've "upgraded" my laptop to an 8600 :-).

      Anyways, I hope this might help someone else if they are having the
      same problem.
      Paul