Re: Latitude cpx

  • giomascage
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 9, 2005
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Trotter"
      <prtrotter@s...> wrote:
      > Howdy,
      >
      > I have a Latitude CPX
      >
      > 500mhz
      > 128mb
      >
      > I am trying to decide which distro is easiest to install/configure
      on
      > this model.
      >
      > Any help would be appreciated.
      >
      > Thx

      I have a similar laptop (CPxH500GT with 128MB and PIII 500MHz), I use
      Mandrake distribution (now Mandriva).
      Automatically Mandrake has recognize :
      - DVD/RW external USB
      - HD drive external USB with Windows
      - HUB USB 2.0
      - card PCMCIA with 2 port USB 2.0 and 2 port Firewire
      - Printer Canon S500
      - Adding a line in fstab also an USBKey 128MB

      Now I trying to install and use a modem ADSL USB.

      I use KDE as window manager and this is a bit slower than Windows;
      with KDE the memory usage is of 122MB (if you use Gnome decrease to
      92MB and perhaps it is a bit faster).

      I found a problem adding another SoDimm chip of 128MB (see my mail of
      some days ago in this forum), peraphs a chip temperature problem.

      For me Mandrake is a good choice (also on the follow site
      http://mark.stosberg.com/Tech/linux_on_latitude_cpx.html advice this
      distribution).

      Good work

      Giorgio