Re: Wireless on SuSE

  • Michelle L. Gill
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 8, 2005
      Greetings,

      I am the former owner of a Dell Inspiron 4150 (which is why I still
      browse this list), but I currently have an HP zv5445 with a Broadcom
      BCM4306 PCI wireless card. I was able to get it to work beautifully
      with ndiswrapper 1.1, compiled from source. The best how-to that I
      have found is located here:
      http://nextgen.no-ip.org/~andrew/linux/ndiswrapper
      /ndiswrapperinfo.php

      You will need to make sure your kernel sources are installed for the
      current kernel version you're using to be able to compile the
      ndiswrapper source code. You will also need the C++ compiler
      installed. I think there is a SuSE RPM for ndiswrapper, but I've
      heard that it may have some complications. Also, if you're using
      SuSE 9.1, it certainly won't be the most current version of
      ndiswrapper. The more current (in this case at least), the more
      likely it is to work.

      I believe the Linuxant driverloader is supplied as an RPM, which
      will initially be easier to setup, but you have to be careful when
      you update your kernel. If they don't have an RPM for that kernel,
      I don't think you will be able to get it to work. You will likely
      have to reinstall the appropriate RPM everytime you update your
      kernel, too.

      Also be aware that some people have had difficulties with
      ndiswrapper causing kernel panic (a sudden hard freeze of your
      computer) or a freeze on boot up. I think the solution is to add
      noacpi and noirq to your grub file. You should Google this to be
      sure if you have this problem.

      I followed the above how-to and was able to get the card to work by
      network driver install CD-ROM. I did not use the method at the end
      which describes how to set up the ndiswrapper module to be loaded at
      boot (i.e. using his provided RPM and changing a setting in YAST).
      Instead, (as root) open the file /etc/sysconfig/kernel (you may want
      to make a backup copy first). To the following line:

      MODULES_LOADED_ON_BOOT="capability raw1394 video1394"

      add ndiswrapper, so it will say:

      MODULES_LOADED_ON_BOOT="capability raw1394 video1394 ndiswrapper"

      Note that you may not have the other modules present (i.e.
      capability, raw1394, video 1394). Just make sure that you ADD
      ndiswrapper.

      Installing your card will likely create a file
      called /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-wlan0. There are some issues
      with DHCP when you have two network devices (i.e. ethernet and
      wireless card). I have posted to this list about it before. To the
      end of the ifcfg-wlan0 file, add the line:

      DHCLIENT_PRIMARY_DEVICE='yes'

      I have inserted a copy of my file below with the network name and
      key noted. Note that the file below is for SuSE 9.3, so you may not
      want to copy the text directly, just fix what I have mentioned
      above.
      OTPROTO='dhcp'
      MTU=''
      REMOTE_IPADDR=''
      STARTMODE='auto'
      USERCONTROL='no'
      WIRELESS_AP=''
      WIRELESS_AUTH_MODE='open'
      WIRELESS_BITRATE='auto'
      WIRELESS_CHANNEL=''
      WIRELESS_DEFAULT_KEY='0'
      WIRELESS_ESSID='YOUR_WIRELESS_NETWORK_NAME_GOES_HERE'
      WIRELESS_FREQUENCY=''
      WIRELESS_KEY=''
      WIRELESS_KEY_0='YOUR_WIRELESS_KEY_GOES_HERE'
      WIRELESS_KEY_1=''
      WIRELESS_KEY_2=''
      WIRELESS_KEY_3=''
      WIRELESS_KEY_LENGTH='128'
      WIRELESS_MODE='Managed'
      WIRELESS_NICK=''
      WIRELESS_NWID=''
      WIRELESS_POWER='yes'
      WIRELESS_WPA_PSK=''
      _nm_name='static-1'
      DHCLIENT_PRIMARY_DEVICE='yes'

      That's it. If you type:

      rcnetwork restart

      You should now be able to connect to the internet. Note that you
      will have to change the network name and key for each wireless
      network you want to use. If you boot your computer up in a new
      wireless environment than you had it set up for when you last shut
      it down, you won't be able to connect until you fix the wireless
      network name and key and then type "rcnetwork restart". I keep a
      copy an appropriate file for each wireless network that I use (for
      my HOME network it could be called home.ifcfg-wlan0 and for my WORK
      network it is work.ifcfg-wlan0). Then I just copy the appropriate
      file to ifcfg-wlan0 and then type "rcnetwork restart".

      You should be aware that whenever you update the kernel (via YOU,
      etc.) you will have to recompile the ndiswrapper module. Be sure
      you always install the kernel sources for any update. After update,
      I like to reboot (although probably not necessary), during which
      time you will not be able to connect to the internet because you
      haven't recompiled the module. Then go to the directory where the
      ndiswrapper source code is and do:

      make distclean
      make
      make install

      Finally, reload the module and restart your network with

      modprobe ndiswrapper
      rcnetwork restart

      This should take care of it. You should now be able to connect to
      the internet again.

      Good luck!
      Michelle

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Herman <herman@a...>
      wrote:
      > jankorel wrote:
      > > NDISWrapper works also great. You can use your windows driver
      with
      > > Ndiswrapper. On there site are a few handy howto's, follow them
      and
      > > it will work...al least mine did...
      >
      > My tuppence worth:
      > First try ndiswrapper, since it is Free.
      >
      > If it doesn't work, uninstall the RPM, reboot and try Linuxant.
      You can
      > get a 30 day evaluation key from them and if it works, buy a
      permanent
      > license.
      >
      > I am using the Dell 1350 PCMCIA card, with a Broadcom BCM4306 chip
      and
      > ndiswrapper doesn't work for me, but Linuxant works perfectly with
      the
      > Windows driver from the Dell CDROM and it is easy to install.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > --
      > Herman Oosthuysen, B.Eng(E), MIEEE
      > #207, 908 - 17th Ave SW
      > Calgary, AB, T2T 0A3, Canada
      > Phone: 1.403.228-4181
      > http://www.AerospaceSoftware.com
    • Alexandre Tessier
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 8, 2005
        Chris Fox wrote:

        > lmichaels512 wrote:
        >
        > | Greetings all
        > |
        > | I installed SuSE Linux 9.1 on a Dell Inspiron 1150. The wired internet
        > | connection is fine but the wireless does not work (it worked fine with
        > | WinXP).
        > |
        > | I have two questions:
        > |
        > | 1. Is there any way that I can make it work (please keep in mind that
        > | I am a Linux newbie, not too familiar with all the technical details).
        > |

        > | 2. If not, is there a wireless card that I can buy that you know is
        > | compatible with Linux and is not too hard to install?
        >
        > what card are you using now? In general you want to avoid netgear and
        > linksys with Linux.

        I used several Netgear cards that worked very well! A lot of Linksys
        cards are reported to work with ndiswrapper.
        But, be very careful before to buy a card and check several times that
        it is reported to fully work under Linux. Look at the revision number of
        the card, some cards are sold under the same reference but have
        different chipset (for example the Netgear WG511 v1 works with prism54
        while the WG511 v2 works with ndiswrapper). Check also that WEP, WPA...
        are supported.

        Here is a general list of wifi cards:
        http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html.gz
        See the list of cards known to work with ndiswrapper:
        http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/index.php
        with the prism54 module:
        http://prism54.org/supported_cards.php
        with madwifi:
        http://www.mattfoster.clara.co.uk/notes/madwifi-hw
        etc...

        Alex.
      • Alexandre Tessier
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 8, 2005
          lmichaels512 wrote:
          > Sorry, I should have mentioned that. It's a Dell 1350 internal 802.11
          > b/g WLAN card.

          It is reported to work with ndiswrapper:
          http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/

          Alex.
        • Herman
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 8, 2005
            Cool, I'll give ndiswrapper a try again, when my Linuxant trial license
            expires!

            Herman

          • Herman
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 8, 2005
              Alexandre Tessier wrote:
              >>Sorry, I should have mentioned that. It's a Dell 1350 internal 802.11
              >>b/g WLAN card.
              >

              > It is reported to work with ndiswrapper:
              > http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/

              Yeah, I also tried the Mandriva 10.2 ndiswrapper RPM and it crashed.
              The Linuxant driver does work. I haven't tried compiling ndiswrapper
              from source yet. So, YMMV...

              Cheers,

              Herman
            • Alexandre Tessier
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 8, 2005
                Herman wrote:
                > Alexandre Tessier wrote:
                >
                >>>Sorry, I should have mentioned that. It's a Dell 1350 internal 802.11
                >>>b/g WLAN card.
                >>

                >>It is reported to work with ndiswrapper:
                >>http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/
                >

                > Yeah, I also tried the Mandriva 10.2 ndiswrapper RPM and it crashed.
                > The Linuxant driver does work. I haven't tried compiling ndiswrapper
                > from source yet. So, YMMV...

                I have never used rpm for ndiswrapper, I always compile it from source.
                Maybe you should try...
                Did you use the good driver: it depends on the rev number of your card.
                Sometimes the driver provided with the card do not work and you have to
                use an other one. Below is what I found on the ndiswrapper wiki about
                the 1350 card:

                # Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5100
                Card: Wireless 1350 (802.11b/g) WLAN miniPCI Card
                Chipset: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller
                (rev 02) notice this is revision 02, below is revision 03, Idon't know
                if it matters or not
                pciid: 14e4:4320
                Driver: http://ftp.us.dell.com/network/R90501.EXE
                Other: This card is in the miniPCI slot of the Inspiron 5100. The driver
                below (R83097.exe) did not work, but this one did. To install unzip
                (program "unzip" works on the .exe) the exe file and use bcmwl5.inf.

                # Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5150
                Card: Wireless 1350 (802.11b/g) WLAN miniPCI Card
                Chipset: Broadcom Corporation BCM#4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller
                (rev 03)
                pciid: ?
                Driver: ftp://ftp.us.dell.com/network/R83097.EXE
                Other: This card is in the miniPCI slot of the Inspiron 5150. This
                driver is for US only. I think this is a Truemobile 1350. To install
                unzip (program "unzip" works on the .exe) the exe file and use the
                bcmwl5a.inf in directory AR.

                # Card: Dell Truemobile 1350 minipci 54mbps
                Chipset: Broadcom Corporation BCM94306 802.11g (rev 03)
                pciid: 14e4:4320
                Driver: http://ftp.us.dell.com/network/R81433.EXE (use bcmwl5a.inf in
                directory AR)
                Other: So far, so good. WEP appears to work fine, as does WPA with CCMP/AES.

                Hope this help,

                Alex.
              • Herman
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 8, 2005
                  Alexandre Tessier wrote:
                  > Herman wrote:

                  >>>It is reported to work with ndiswrapper:
                  >>>http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/
                  >>

                  >>Yeah, I also tried the Mandriva 10.2 ndiswrapper RPM and it crashed.
                  >>The Linuxant driver does work. I haven't tried compiling ndiswrapper
                  >>from source yet. So, YMMV...
                  >

                  > I have never used rpm for ndiswrapper, I always compile it from source.
                  > Maybe you should try...
                  > Did you use the good driver:

                  The Dell CDROM driver works with WinXP and Linuxant - perfectly stable -
                  I've left it running continuously for a couple of days now and it stays
                  up and keeps working. I'll try compiling ndiswrapper when my Linuxant
                  license runs out...

                  Cheers,

                  H.
                • Alexandre Tessier
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 8, 2005
                    Herman wrote:
                    > Alexandre Tessier wrote:
                    >
                    >>Herman wrote:

                    >>>Yeah, I also tried the Mandriva 10.2 ndiswrapper RPM and it crashed.
                    >>>The Linuxant driver does work. I haven't tried compiling ndiswrapper
                    >>
                    >>>from source yet. So, YMMV...
                    >>

                    >>I have never used rpm for ndiswrapper, I always compile it from source.
                    >>Maybe you should try...
                    >>Did you use the good driver:
                    >

                    > The Dell CDROM driver works with WinXP and Linuxant - perfectly stable -

                    Sometimes some people reported that a driver works well with windows but
                    it is another driver that works with ndiswrapper... So, when your
                    linuxant license will run out, check the ndiswrapper wiki before trying.