Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: mandrake 10.1 and ATI rage mobility issue

  • Alexandre Tessier
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 6 7:50 AM
      tim gromis wrote:
      > Thanks for the suggestions Alex. I am using the download version and I
      > tried the ATI website for drivers and they said to contact the
      > manufacturer for drivers and Dell said that they dont provide linux

      Yes, I searched on ati web site and it seems that the ati driver does
      not support old cards. Ati says that they provide all doc to the DRI
      team, so your card should work fine with the DRI extention.

      Here is the config file I used with my old C800:
      http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/C800/XF86Config-4
      It uses the r128 driver and the dri module.
      Note that I'm not sure it is the best solution nowadays because that's a
      3 years old file!
      The main lines for you are:

      Load "dri"
      (in the Section "Module")

      Section "DRI"
      Mode 0666
      EndSection
      (the DRI section itself)

      Driver "r128"
      (in the Section "Device")
      (maybe you can try "vesa")

      and if you have the same screen that I have:
      HorizSync 31.5-90.0
      VertRefresh 59.0-75.0
      (in the Section "Monitor")

      Hope this help...

      Alex.

    • ken
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 7 2:02 PM
        icecop66 wrote:

        >--- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, ken <gebser@s...> wrote:
        >

        >>icecop66 wrote:
        >>

        >>>Can anyone advise me on how to resolve an issue with an ATI rage
        >>>mobility video card in a Dell C800? When I try to install
        >>>

        >Mandrake
        >

        >>>10.1 it looks as though it finds my video card but when I test
        >>>

        >the
        >

        >>>configuration the screen goes black. I am a newbie at Linux so
        >>>

        >you
        >

        >>>may have to dumb it down on any suggestions. Thanks...Tim
        >>>

        >>Which video card do you have and which driver is loaded?
        >>

        >>--
        >>A lot of us are working harder than we want, at things we don't
        >>

        >like to
        >

        >>do. Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't
        >>

        >care to live.
        >

        >> -- Bradford Angier
        >>

        >It hung during the install so I am assuming it is using the drivers
        >that came with Mandrake 10.1. I haven't tried to use any other
        >drivers

        At a console prompt (the black-and-white screen), type "hwinfo |less".
        You can scroll up and down with 'k' and 'j', page up and down with the
        PageUp and PageDn keys. Find the entry for your video card and
        monitor. The entry for video card may say which driver it is attempting
        to use (which may be incorrect). It may also give more specifics on the
        exact videocard model you have, the amount of RAM it has onboard, and
        other info. Put this specific information into your favorite search
        engine and find out what has worked for others.

        hth,
        ken