Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: problem in reloading grub

  • Haedn Thorn
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 4, 2005
      --- Jim Diamond <zsd@...> wrote:
      > I was dual-booting Slackware and XP (actually, tri-booting Slackware,
      > Xandros and XP), and had no problem telling lilo to use the MBR. XP
      > didn't seem to care.
      >
      > What is your problem with XP and lilo using the MBR?
      >
      > Having said this, I eventually tossed XP so I would have some extra
      > (useful) disk space, but the time or three I booted into XP everything
      > seemed OK. Of course, maybe I just didn't notice that XP was crying :-)

      Actually .. I've never tried. I was going off the data from NT4. I know in the
      past, I've seen Windows crap on itself too many times, so I do what I can to
      prevent it. I still have to use Windows for VAG-COM and to burn FlashROMs for ECUs.
    • Jim Diamond
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 4, 2005
        On Sat, Jun 4, 2005 at 09:30 (-0700), Haedn Thorn wrote:

        > --- Jim Diamond <zsd@...> wrote:
        >> I was dual-booting Slackware and XP (actually, tri-booting Slackware,
        >> Xandros and XP), and had no problem telling lilo to use the MBR. XP
        >> didn't seem to care.

        >> What is your problem with XP and lilo using the MBR?

        >> Having said this, I eventually tossed XP so I would have some extra
        >> (useful) disk space, but the time or three I booted into XP everything
        >> seemed OK. Of course, maybe I just didn't notice that XP was crying :-)

        > Actually .. I've never tried. I was going off the data from NT4. I
        > know in the past, I've seen Windows crap on itself too many times,
        > so I do what I can to prevent it. I still have to use Windows

        My condolences.

        Jim
      • Stephen Lau
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 4, 2005
          Which partition do you have set as the active partition?
          (use fdisk)

          cheers,
          steve