Re: problem in reloading grub

  • Jim Diamond
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 4, 2005
      On Sat, Jun 4, 2005 at 07:37 (-0700), Haedn Thorn wrote:

      > --- vitalmarks <vitalmarks@...> wrote:

      >> Yes i ve installed to my one of the partition not one the whole hard
      >> disk. n obviously MBR is loaded to the primary partition of the
      >> master harddisk. well if u know abt the lilo pls tell me.
      >> i wish to try it. inshort i want to start my work. many times it
      >> happends in part n i eaily reload the grub but this time i dont why.
      >> well pls tell me abt the lili from scrach, pls.
      >> thanx for helping

      > Lilo installs as the default bootloader with Slackware. But it
      > should be pretty basic to get it going from a package or source. The
      > main things are the config file (/etc/lilo.conf) ... Once you've got
      > the package installed, 'man lilo.conf' should give you the necessary
      > points to get set up. Then just run 'lilo' and it finishes the
      > job. If you are running dual-boot with Windows, or just Linux on
      > it's own makes a difference in configuration as well. I use ntloader
      > in my MBR (so XP won't cry) and then lilo on my root partition. I
      > have to do some other trickery (clearly speled out in the NT+Linux
      > HOWTO at tldp.org) to make ntloader boot Linux properly, but once
      > you've done it a few times, you don't really even have to think
      > about it. At this point, a kernel recompile sets me back a maximum
      > of about 10 minutes, including booting through XP to make the
      > necessary updates there. There are also Lilo and Grub HOWTOs at
      > tldp.org ...

      I was dual-booting Slackware and XP (actually, tri-booting Slackware,
      Xandros and XP), and had no problem telling lilo to use the MBR. XP
      didn't seem to care.

      What is your problem with XP and lilo using the MBR?

      Having said this, I eventually tossed XP so I would have some extra
      (useful) disk space, but the time or three I booted into XP everything
      seemed OK. Of course, maybe I just didn't notice that XP was crying :-)

      Cheers.

      Jim
    • Haedn Thorn
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 4, 2005
        --- Jim Diamond <zsd@...> wrote:
        > I was dual-booting Slackware and XP (actually, tri-booting Slackware,
        > Xandros and XP), and had no problem telling lilo to use the MBR. XP
        > didn't seem to care.
        >
        > What is your problem with XP and lilo using the MBR?
        >
        > Having said this, I eventually tossed XP so I would have some extra
        > (useful) disk space, but the time or three I booted into XP everything
        > seemed OK. Of course, maybe I just didn't notice that XP was crying :-)

        Actually .. I've never tried. I was going off the data from NT4. I know in the
        past, I've seen Windows crap on itself too many times, so I do what I can to
        prevent it. I still have to use Windows for VAG-COM and to burn FlashROMs for ECUs.
      • Jim Diamond
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 4, 2005
          On Sat, Jun 4, 2005 at 09:30 (-0700), Haedn Thorn wrote:

          > --- Jim Diamond <zsd@...> wrote:
          >> I was dual-booting Slackware and XP (actually, tri-booting Slackware,
          >> Xandros and XP), and had no problem telling lilo to use the MBR. XP
          >> didn't seem to care.

          >> What is your problem with XP and lilo using the MBR?

          >> Having said this, I eventually tossed XP so I would have some extra
          >> (useful) disk space, but the time or three I booted into XP everything
          >> seemed OK. Of course, maybe I just didn't notice that XP was crying :-)

          > Actually .. I've never tried. I was going off the data from NT4. I
          > know in the past, I've seen Windows crap on itself too many times,
          > so I do what I can to prevent it. I still have to use Windows

          My condolences.

          Jim
        • Stephen Lau
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 4, 2005
            Which partition do you have set as the active partition?
            (use fdisk)

            cheers,
            steve