problem in reloading grub

  • vitalmarks
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 4, 2005
      HI
      I ve installed linux enterprize edition on my PC after installtion it
      become unable to load grub(boot loader) although same linux i ve
      installed on my laptop n its working.
      well when i reload the grub by the following ways

      Boot from linux CD
      then type "linux rescue"
      then i type "grub"
      after that in the "grub prompt" i type the folloing command
      root (hd1,7)
      setup(hd0)

      after that messages come "successfully load the grub"
      but when i restart the system it was not loading.
      pls solve this problem i m in trouble.
    • Haedn Thorn
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 4, 2005
        --- vitalmarks <vitalmarks@...> wrote:
        > HI
        > I ve installed linux enterprize edition on my PC after installtion it
        > become unable to load grub(boot loader) although same linux i ve
        > installed on my laptop n its working.
        > well when i reload the grub by the following ways
        >
        > Boot from linux CD
        > then type "linux rescue"
        > then i type "grub"
        > after that in the "grub prompt" i type the folloing command
        > root (hd1,7)
        > setup(hd0)
        >
        > after that messages come "successfully load the grub"
        > but when i restart the system it was not loading.
        > pls solve this problem i m in trouble.

        Are you installing to one of your partitions, or to the MBR? What is the
        configuration of your partition table? Does grub not use the common device
        names "/dev/hdc", "/dev/hdc1", etc ? (I have always used lilo)
      • vitalmarks
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 4, 2005
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Haedn Thorn
          <lordhaedn@y...> wrote:
          > --- vitalmarks <vitalmarks@y...> wrote:
          > > HI
          > > I ve installed linux enterprize edition on my PC after
          installtion it
          > > become unable to load grub(boot loader) although same linux i ve
          > > installed on my laptop n its working.
          > > well when i reload the grub by the following ways
          > >
          > > Boot from linux CD
          > > then type "linux rescue"
          > > then i type "grub"
          > > after that in the "grub prompt" i type the folloing command
          > > root (hd1,7)
          > > setup(hd0)
          > >
          > > after that messages come "successfully load the grub"
          > > but when i restart the system it was not loading.
          > > pls solve this problem i m in trouble.
          >
          > Are you installing to one of your partitions, or to the MBR? What
          is the
          > configuration of your partition table? Does grub not use the common
          device
          > names "/dev/hdc", "/dev/hdc1", etc ? (I have always used lilo)

          Yes i ve installed to my one of the partition not one the whole hard
          disk. n obviously MBR is loaded to the primary partition of the
          master harddisk. well if u know abt the lilo pls tell me.
          i wish to try it. inshort i want to start my work. many times it
          happends in part n i eaily reload the grub but this time i dont why.
          well pls tell me abt the lili from scrach, pls.
          thanx for helping
        • vitalmarks
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 4, 2005

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 4, 2005
              --- vitalmarks <vitalmarks@...> wrote:
              > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Haedn Thorn
              > <lordhaedn@y...> wrote:
              > > --- vitalmarks <vitalmarks@y...> wrote:
              > > > HI
              > > > I ve installed linux enterprize edition on my PC after
              > installtion it
              > > > become unable to load grub(boot loader) although same linux i ve
              > > > installed on my laptop n its working.
              > > > well when i reload the grub by the following ways
              > > >
              > > > Boot from linux CD
              > > > then type "linux rescue"
              > > > then i type "grub"
              > > > after that in the "grub prompt" i type the folloing command
              > > > root (hd1,7)
              > > > setup(hd0)
              > > >
              > > > after that messages come "successfully load the grub"
              > > > but when i restart the system it was not loading.
              > > > pls solve this problem i m in trouble.
              > >
              > > Are you installing to one of your partitions, or to the MBR? What
              > is the
              > > configuration of your partition table? Does grub not use the common
              > device
              > > names "/dev/hdc", "/dev/hdc1", etc ? (I have always used lilo)
              >

              > Yes i ve installed to my one of the partition not one the whole hard
              > disk. n obviously MBR is loaded to the primary partition of the
              > master harddisk. well if u know abt the lilo pls tell me.
              > i wish to try it. inshort i want to start my work. many times it
              > happends in part n i eaily reload the grub but this time i dont why.
              > well pls tell me abt the lili from scrach, pls.
              > thanx for helping

              Lilo installs as the default bootloader with Slackware. But it should be pretty
              basic to get it going from a package or source. The main things are the config
              file (/etc/lilo.conf) ... Once you've got the package installed, 'man
              lilo.conf' should give you the necessary points to get set up. Then just run
              'lilo' and it finishes the job. If you are running dual-boot with Windows, or
              just Linux on it's own makes a difference in configuration as well. I use
              ntloader in my MBR (so XP won't cry) and then lilo on my root partition. I have
              to do some other trickery (clearly speled out in the NT+Linux HOWTO at
              tldp.org) to make ntloader boot Linux properly, but once you've done it a few
              times, you don't really even have to think about it. At this point, a kernel
              recompile sets me back a maximum of about 10 minutes, including booting through
              XP to make the necessary updates there. There are also Lilo and Grub HOWTOs at
              tldp.org ...
            • Jim Diamond
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 4, 2005
                On Sat, Jun 4, 2005 at 07:37 (-0700), Haedn Thorn wrote:

                > --- vitalmarks <vitalmarks@...> wrote:

                >> Yes i ve installed to my one of the partition not one the whole hard
                >> disk. n obviously MBR is loaded to the primary partition of the
                >> master harddisk. well if u know abt the lilo pls tell me.
                >> i wish to try it. inshort i want to start my work. many times it
                >> happends in part n i eaily reload the grub but this time i dont why.
                >> well pls tell me abt the lili from scrach, pls.
                >> thanx for helping

                > Lilo installs as the default bootloader with Slackware. But it
                > should be pretty basic to get it going from a package or source. The
                > main things are the config file (/etc/lilo.conf) ... Once you've got
                > the package installed, 'man lilo.conf' should give you the necessary
                > points to get set up. Then just run 'lilo' and it finishes the
                > job. If you are running dual-boot with Windows, or just Linux on
                > it's own makes a difference in configuration as well. I use ntloader
                > in my MBR (so XP won't cry) and then lilo on my root partition. I
                > have to do some other trickery (clearly speled out in the NT+Linux
                > HOWTO at tldp.org) to make ntloader boot Linux properly, but once
                > you've done it a few times, you don't really even have to think
                > about it. At this point, a kernel recompile sets me back a maximum
                > of about 10 minutes, including booting through XP to make the
                > necessary updates there. There are also Lilo and Grub HOWTOs at
                > tldp.org ...

                I was dual-booting Slackware and XP (actually, tri-booting Slackware,
                Xandros and XP), and had no problem telling lilo to use the MBR. XP
                didn't seem to care.

                What is your problem with XP and lilo using the MBR?

                Having said this, I eventually tossed XP so I would have some extra
                (useful) disk space, but the time or three I booted into XP everything
                seemed OK. Of course, maybe I just didn't notice that XP was crying :-)

                Cheers.

                Jim
              • Haedn Thorn
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 4, 2005
                  --- Jim Diamond <zsd@...> wrote:
                  > I was dual-booting Slackware and XP (actually, tri-booting Slackware,
                  > Xandros and XP), and had no problem telling lilo to use the MBR. XP
                  > didn't seem to care.
                  >
                  > What is your problem with XP and lilo using the MBR?
                  >
                  > Having said this, I eventually tossed XP so I would have some extra
                  > (useful) disk space, but the time or three I booted into XP everything
                  > seemed OK. Of course, maybe I just didn't notice that XP was crying :-)

                  Actually .. I've never tried. I was going off the data from NT4. I know in the
                  past, I've seen Windows crap on itself too many times, so I do what I can to
                  prevent it. I still have to use Windows for VAG-COM and to burn FlashROMs for ECUs.
                • Jim Diamond
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 4, 2005
                    On Sat, Jun 4, 2005 at 09:30 (-0700), Haedn Thorn wrote:

                    > --- Jim Diamond <zsd@...> wrote:
                    >> I was dual-booting Slackware and XP (actually, tri-booting Slackware,
                    >> Xandros and XP), and had no problem telling lilo to use the MBR. XP
                    >> didn't seem to care.

                    >> What is your problem with XP and lilo using the MBR?

                    >> Having said this, I eventually tossed XP so I would have some extra
                    >> (useful) disk space, but the time or three I booted into XP everything
                    >> seemed OK. Of course, maybe I just didn't notice that XP was crying :-)

                    > Actually .. I've never tried. I was going off the data from NT4. I
                    > know in the past, I've seen Windows crap on itself too many times,
                    > so I do what I can to prevent it. I still have to use Windows

                    My condolences.

                    Jim
                  • Stephen Lau
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 4, 2005
                      Which partition do you have set as the active partition?
                      (use fdisk)

                      cheers,
                      steve