grub problem

  • vitalmarks
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 4 5:55 AM
      HI
      I ve installed linux enterprize edition on my PC after installtion it
      become unable to load grub(boot loader) although same linux i ve
      installed on my laptop n its working.
      well when i reload the grub by the following ways

      Boot from linux CD
      then type "linux rescue"
      then i type "grub"
      after that in the "grub prompt" i type the folloing command
      root (hd1,7)
      setup(hd0)

      after that messages come "successfully load the grub"
      but when i restart the system it was not loading.
      pls solve this problem i m in trouble.
    • Douglas S. Oliver
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 6 9:22 AM
        Hi, sorry I have not replied sooner. I read through some of the other responses to your query, and noticed that no one asked you whether you have more than one physical hard drive. In Grub the line that says, "root (hd1,7)" means that root is on the 7th partition of hard drive 2. Unlike lilo, all drive and partition references start from 0, so your first hard drive is 0 and the first partition on that drive is 0. That would be (hd0,0). On my i8600, the Dell maintenance partition is (hd0,0). The MBR is simply (hd0) with no partition number. I would try changing the /boot/grub.conf line from root (hd1,7) to (hd0,7) or maybe (hd0,6) or (hd0,8). Play around with a few of these settings, but remember that if you have only one hard drive, "hd1" does not exist. The nice thing about Grub is that you do not need to do anything but edit the grub.conf file when you make changes like adding a new kernel. Lilo requires that you edit /etc/lilo.conf and then run /sbin/lilo each time you make such changes.

        Good luck. --Douglas

        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 6 4:19 PM
          hi Doug,

          i am running into a situation, not sure what to do
          next:

          1. i have a inspiron 1100 with internal drive for
          winxp and a usb/v2 external drive(1st partition is
          setup for e: for xp and 2nd partion for fedora
          3/2.6.11...

          2.question: can i set the bios to boot from usb fedora
          partition?

          when i do that, it seems fail to mount(cant find
          physical volume). any comment?

          thanks

          tom

          --- "Douglas S. Oliver" <dsoliver@...>

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Haedn Thorn
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 6 5:28 PM
            --- tom loong <kylnj@...> wrote:
            > hi Doug,
            >
            > i am running into a situation, not sure what to do
            > next:
            >
            > 1. i have a inspiron 1100 with internal drive for
            > winxp and a usb/v2 external drive(1st partition is
            > setup for e: for xp and 2nd partion for fedora
            > 3/2.6.11...
            >
            > 2.question: can i set the bios to boot from usb fedora
            > partition?
            >
            > when i do that, it seems fail to mount(cant find
            > physical volume). any comment?

            You'll need to be certain your kernel has usb, and usb-storage support compiled
            in instead of as a module. You cannot load a module from a device the kernel
            cannot read ;)
          • Herman
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 6 5:38 PM
              Haedn Thorn wrote:

              >>2.question: can i set the bios to boot from usb fedora
              >>partition?
              >>
              >>when i do that, it seems fail to mount(cant find
              >>physical volume). any comment?
              >

              > You'll need to be certain your kernel has usb, and usb-storage support compiled
              > in instead of as a module. You cannot load a module from a device the kernel
              > cannot read ;)

              Here is a kernel compile howto:
              http://www.aerospacesoftware.com/kernel-compile-howto.html

              Cheers,

              H.
            • tom loong
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 6 5:39 PM
                hi haedn

                thanks for your reply.

                can you be more specific? i did try to swap these 2
                drive and failed booting the winxp from usd drive as
                well.

                --- Haedn Thorn <lordhaedn@...> wrote:

                > --- tom loong <kylnj@...> wrote:
                > > hi Doug,
                > >
                > > i am running into a situation, not sure what to do
                > > next:
                > >
                > > 1. i have a inspiron 1100 with internal drive for
                > > winxp and a usb/v2 external drive(1st partition is
                > > setup for e: for xp and 2nd partion for fedora
                > > 3/2.6.11...
                > >
                > > 2.question: can i set the bios to boot from usb
                > fedora
                > > partition?
                > >
                > > when i do that, it seems fail to mount(cant find
                > > physical volume). any comment?
                >
                > You'll need to be certain your kernel has usb, and
                > usb-storage support compiled
                > in instead of as a module. You cannot load a module
                > from a device the kernel
                > cannot read ;)

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Herman
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 6 5:50 PM
                  tom loong wrote:
                  > hi haedn
                  >
                  > thanks for your reply.
                  >
                  > can you be more specific? i did try to swap these 2
                  > drive and failed booting the winxp from usd drive as
                  > well.

                  USB support is usually configured as a kernel module. Linux only loads
                  the modules that it needs to run. So if you never use USB, it will not
                  get loaded and won't waste memory.

                  However, the devices needed to boot up, must be compiled into the
                  kernel, otherwise the system cannot start up. Therefore, you need to
                  study the kernel compile process and make yourself a custom kernel with
                  USB support compiled in.

                  Linux starts up in two phases: First it loads a simple generic system,
                  which then loads the full system. The generic system should be able to
                  boot off the USB drive, but then when it passes control to the main
                  system, it will fail, unless the USB drivers are compiled in.

                  So, you need to read a bit, my web site has a bunch of guides and there
                  are many more at http://www.tldp.org Since you are running Red Hat,
                  you should also look at the Red Hat and Mandriva Linux community pages
                  for help. (Mandriva is a fork of Red Hat Linux and is very similar).

                  What you need to do is not difficult, but not simple for a newcomer
                  either. You'll have to read a ton of stuff till you are comfortable.

                  'Hope this helps.

                  H.
                • tom loong
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 6 5:54 PM
                    thanks herman

                    i will spend time to read....

                    tom

                    --- Herman <herman@...> wrote:

                    > tom loong wrote:
                    > > hi haedn
                    > >
                    > > thanks for your reply.
                    > >
                    > > can you be more specific? i did try to swap these
                    > 2
                    > > drive and failed booting the winxp from usd drive
                    > as
                    > > well.
                    >
                    > USB support is usually configured as a kernel
                    > module. Linux only loads
                    > the modules that it needs to run. So if you never
                    > use USB, it will not
                    > get loaded and won't waste memory.
                    >
                    > However, the devices needed to boot up, must be
                    > compiled into the
                    > kernel, otherwise the system cannot start up.
                    > Therefore, you need to
                    > study the kernel compile process and make yourself a
                    > custom kernel with
                    > USB support compiled in.
                    >
                    > Linux starts up in two phases: First it loads a
                    > simple generic system,
                    > which then loads the full system. The generic
                    > system should be able to
                    > boot off the USB drive, but then when it passes
                    > control to the main
                    > system, it will fail, unless the USB drivers are
                    > compiled in.
                    >
                    > So, you need to read a bit, my web site has a bunch
                    > of guides and there
                    > are many more at http://www.tldp.org Since you are
                    > running Red Hat,
                    > you should also look at the Red Hat and Mandriva
                    > Linux community pages
                    > for help. (Mandriva is a fork of Red Hat Linux and
                    > is very similar).
                    >
                    > What you need to do is not difficult, but not simple
                    > for a newcomer
                    > either. You'll have to read a ton of stuff till you
                    > are comfortable.
                    >
                    > 'Hope this helps.
                    >
                    > H.

                    __________________________________
                    Discover Yahoo!
                    http://discover.yahoo.com/
                  • Paul Neelands
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 6 6:02 PM
                      If recompiling the kernel is too formidible, you can also force the loading of the module at boot time by including a a parameter for the module on the grub command line.

                      Paul
                      can you be more specific? i did try to swap these 2
                      drive and failed booting the winxp from usd drive as
                      well.

                      --- Haedn Thorn <lordhaedn@...> wrote:

                      > --- tom loong <kylnj@...> wrote:
                      > > hi Doug,
                      > >
                      > > i am running into a situation, not sure what to do
                      > > next:
                      > >
                      > > 1. i have a inspiron 1100 with internal drive for
                      > > winxp and a usb/v2 external drive(1st partition is
                      > > setup for e: for xp and 2nd partion for fedora
                      > > 3/2.6.11...
                      > >
                      > > 2.question: can i set the bios to boot from usb
                      > fedora
                      > > partition?
                      > >
                      > > when i do that, it seems fail to mount(cant find
                      > > physical volume). any comment?
                      >
                      > You'll need to be certain your kernel has usb, and
                      > usb-storage support compiled
                      > in instead of as a module. You cannot load a module
                      > from a device the kernel
                      > cannot read ;)

                    • Stephen Lau
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 6 6:04 PM
                        that still won't work since the module can't be loaded... it has to
                        either be compiled into the kernel, or put in the initrd image.

                        if recompiling the kernel is too much work, i believe the only other
                        option he can do is build a new initrd image.

                        cheers,
                        steve

                        Paul Neelands wrote:

                        > If recompiling the kernel is too formidible, you can also force the
                        > module on the grub command line.
                        >
                        > Paul

                      • tom loong
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 6 6:07 PM
                          thanks for all ur reply.
                          i will give it a try.

                          --- Stephen Lau <ldl@...> wrote:

                          > that still won't work since the module can't be
                          > loaded... it has to
                          > either be compiled into the kernel, or put in the
                          > initrd image.
                          >
                          > if recompiling the kernel is too much work, i
                          > believe the only other
                          > option he can do is build a new initrd image.
                          >
                          > cheers,
                          > steve
                          >
                          > Paul Neelands wrote:
                          >
                          > > If recompiling the kernel is too formidible, you
                          > can also force the
                          > a parameter for the
                          > > module on the grub command line.
                          > >
                          > > Paul

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • Paul Neelands
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 6 6:13 PM
                            A typical grub argument to load a module would be  ..... module filename

                            Paul

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 6 6:33 PM
                              Paul Neelands wrote:
                              > A typical grub argument to load a module would be ..... module filename

                              I don't believe that will work for a module needed as a boot device.
                              Worth a try maybe...

                              Cheers,

                              H.
                            • Douglas S. Oliver
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 7 9:08 AM
                                Dear Tom, I'm unfamiliar with the i1100 and its BIOS. We had a brief
                                discussion on this list a couple of weeks ago regarding booting from a
                                USB drive. I unfortunately have to eat a little crow on this one. After
                                more experimentation, I have only been able to boot into Windows
                                Safemode. I was mistaken that I had booted into Windows Normal mode. I
                                think I was discussing this with Irlandes on this list. What I haven't
                                tried yet is using one of the DOS installers for Linux like syslinux.
                                This has to be done from a DOS/Windows formatted partition. I believe
                                PuppyLinux uses this method for installing/running on a flash drive.
                                Sorry I can't give more info at this time. Good luck-- Douglas

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jun 7 5:57 PM
                                  hi doug,

                                  i was told that i have 2 rebuil the kernel--includeing
                                  the usb driver?

                                  i am try to figure it out now...

                                  thanks

                                  tom

                                  --- "Douglas S. Oliver" <dsoliver@...>

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                                • Stephen Lau
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jun 7 7:50 PM
                                    Odds are you already have the USB driver necessary, it's just not built
                                    into your kernel.
                                    I think it would be easier for you to build a new initrd image than to
                                    build a new kernel...especially if you are new to this.

                                    Do a google search for initrd & mkinitrd, and it should show you how.

                                    cheers,
                                    steve

                                  • tom loong
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jun 7 8:37 PM
                                      hi steve

                                      thanks, will give it a try first.

                                      tom

                                      --- Stephen Lau <ldl@...> wrote:

                                      > Odds are you already have the USB driver necessary,
                                      > it's just not built
                                      > into your kernel.
                                      > I think it would be easier for you to build a new
                                      > initrd image than to
                                      > build a new kernel...especially if you are new to
                                      > this.
                                      >
                                      > Do a google search for initrd & mkinitrd, and it
                                      > should show you how.
                                      >
                                      > cheers,
                                      > steve
                                      >
                                      > tom loong wrote:
                                      >
                                      > >hi doug,
                                      > >
                                      > >i was told that i have 2 rebuil the
                                      > kernel--includeing
                                      > >the usb driver?
                                      > >
                                      > >i am try to figure it out now...
                                      > >
                                      > >thanks
                                      > >
                                      > >tom
                                      > >
                                      > >--- "Douglas S. Oliver" <dsoliver@...>
                                      > >wrote:
                                      > >

                                      > >>Dear Tom, I'm unfamiliar with the i1100 and its
                                      > >>BIOS. We had a brief
                                      > >>discussion on this list a couple of weeks ago
                                      > >>regarding booting from a
                                      > >>USB drive. I unfortunately have to eat a little
                                      > crow
                                      > >>on this one. After
                                      > >>more experimentation, I have only been able to
                                      > boot
                                      > >>into Windows
                                      > >>Safemode. I was mistaken that I had booted into
                                      > >>Windows Normal mode. I
                                      > >>think I was discussing this with Irlandes on this
                                      > >>list. What I haven't
                                      > >>tried yet is using one of the DOS installers for
                                      > >>Linux like syslinux.
                                      > >>This has to be done from a DOS/Windows formatted
                                      > >>partition. I believe
                                      > >>PuppyLinux uses this method for installing/running
                                      > >>on a flash drive.
                                      > >>Sorry I can't give more info at this time. Good
                                      > >>luck-- Douglas

                                      > do

                                      > is

                                      > >>fedora

                                      > >>through

                                      > >>more

                                      > >>that

                                      > 7th
                                      > drive
                                      > >>>>

                                      > >>first

                                      > >>the

                                      > is
                                      > try
                                      > >>>>

                                      > >>(hd1,7)

                                      > >>around

                                      > if
                                      > >>>>

                                      > >>exist.

                                      > need

                                      > >>requires

                                      > >>/sbin/lilo

                                      === message truncated ===

                                      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                                    • Douglas S. Oliver
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jun 8 2:19 PM
                                        The perplexing thing is this for me; I can attempt the boot from a USB device. Everything goes well until the usual "can't find the ...." I previously rebuilt the initrd file, but then I forgot to put it in the boot directory of the USB drive with the kernel. The mkinitrd (man mkinitrd) program can and perhaps should use the information in the /etc/fstab file in the USB device, which in turn needs to reference the directories on the USB device. I think I can't reference any modules on the laptop hard drive but must restrict myself to the USB device since that's what I want to boot from where ever I use it. Make the USB drive active active with fstab? Did that, but without the other elements, it doesn't work.

                                        In the end, I think it needs to be kept clear what references what, when, and where. My head begins to spin after a while. This is all hypothetical since I gave up before succeeding.

                                        Extra info: I booted from a Slackware CD and installed Slackware onto a hard drive contained in a USB device.
                                        I think the Slackware kernel included USB support, but i'm not sure. That's why I did the mkinitrd.
                                        Laptop normally dual boots with WinXP and RH9.
                                        USB hard drive was prepared with Partition Commander from V-Com.
                                        Install went well, but couldn't make boot floppy. USB floppy drive died. :-(
                                        Maybe I'll return to this project later, but for now I've got to get on to other things.

                                        Good luck everyone, Douglas