Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Inspiron 1200 Fn-F2

  • Herman
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
      erick wrote:

      > ndiswrapper -l
      >
      > You got ndiswrapper to say the driver and hardware are present and loaded
      > right ??
      >
      > did you set up the rest of the card using iwconfig ?
      >
      > then setup the card in linux ?

      Yes, everything is OK, except that it doesn't create a new device - no
      wlan0.

      Soooooooooo, I gave up and bought a horrid Linksys ethernet-wifi-bridge.
      I don't know why the thing is so freakin huge, but at least it works
      well.

      Cheers,

      H.
    • ken
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 4, 2005
        Herman wrote:

        >Stephen Lau wrote:
        >

        >>I'm confused. Is this a PCMCIA card, or a mini-PCI card?
        >>The Fn-F2 hotkey is to turn the built in mini-PCI card on/off. I don't
        >>believe it works for PCMCIA devices...
        >>

        >I have two: USB and PCMCIA.
        >
        >On this 1200 model, the Fn-F2 key is a soft key. Under Windows, it
        >turns the WiFi adaptor on/off, both for PCMCIA and USB cards. Under
        >Linux, this key is not handled.
        >
        >Cheers,
        >
        >Herman
        >
        >Fn-F2 works fine for me (running Gnome/Suse 9.3 on I600m w/ Pro Wireless 2200).

        do. Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care to live.
        -- Bradford Angier
      • Herman
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 4, 2005
          ken wrote:

          >>Fn-F2 works fine for me (running Gnome/Suse 9.3 on I600m w/ Pro Wireless 2200).

          Interesting - /var/log/messages says:
          "kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed..."
          "kernel: atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e008 <keycode>' to make it known"

          What wireless adaptor are you using?

          Cheers,

          H.
        • ken
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 4, 2005
            Herman wrote:

            >ken wrote:
            >

            >>>Fn-F2 works fine for me (running Gnome/Suse 9.3 on I600m w/ Pro Wireless 2200).
            >>>

            >Interesting - /var/log/messages says:
            >"kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed..."
            >"kernel: atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e008 <keycode>' to make it known"
            >
            >What wireless adaptor are you using?
            >
            >Cheers,
            >
            >H.

            Pro Wireless 2200, Intel