Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Inspiron 1200 Fn-F2

  • erick
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
      On Friday June 3 2005 1:07 pm, Herman wrote:
      > Stephen Lau wrote:
      > > Wow cool. I had no idea it did that. :) Well, I guess I'm out of ideas
      > > as to what to do... my only other suggestion would be to try the
      > > Linuxant Driverloader and see if that can load it.. ?
      >
      > Thanks for that tip. I wasn't aware of Linuxant. I'll give them a try
      > and if it works report back here.
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Herman

      ndiswrapper -l

      You got ndiswrapper to say the driver and hardware are present and loaded
      right ??

      did you set up the rest of the card using iwconfig ?

      then setup the card in linux ?

      --
      The inherent downside in a life of pursuing women is the
      possibility of inadvertently catching one
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
        erick wrote:

        > ndiswrapper -l
        >
        > You got ndiswrapper to say the driver and hardware are present and loaded
        > right ??
        >
        > did you set up the rest of the card using iwconfig ?
        >
        > then setup the card in linux ?

        Yes, everything is OK, except that it doesn't create a new device - no
        wlan0.

        Soooooooooo, I gave up and bought a horrid Linksys ethernet-wifi-bridge.
        I don't know why the thing is so freakin huge, but at least it works
        well.

        Cheers,

        H.
      • ken
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 4, 2005
          Herman wrote:

          >Stephen Lau wrote:
          >

          >>I'm confused. Is this a PCMCIA card, or a mini-PCI card?
          >>The Fn-F2 hotkey is to turn the built in mini-PCI card on/off. I don't
          >>believe it works for PCMCIA devices...
          >>

          >I have two: USB and PCMCIA.
          >
          >On this 1200 model, the Fn-F2 key is a soft key. Under Windows, it
          >turns the WiFi adaptor on/off, both for PCMCIA and USB cards. Under
          >Linux, this key is not handled.
          >
          >Cheers,
          >
          >Herman
          >
          >Fn-F2 works fine for me (running Gnome/Suse 9.3 on I600m w/ Pro Wireless 2200).

          do. Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care to live.
          -- Bradford Angier
        • Herman
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 4, 2005
            ken wrote:

            >>Fn-F2 works fine for me (running Gnome/Suse 9.3 on I600m w/ Pro Wireless 2200).

            Interesting - /var/log/messages says:
            "kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed..."
            "kernel: atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e008 <keycode>' to make it known"

            What wireless adaptor are you using?

            Cheers,

            H.
          • ken
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 4, 2005
              Herman wrote:

              >ken wrote:
              >

              >>>Fn-F2 works fine for me (running Gnome/Suse 9.3 on I600m w/ Pro Wireless 2200).
              >>>

              >Interesting - /var/log/messages says:
              >"kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed..."
              >"kernel: atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e008 <keycode>' to make it known"
              >
              >What wireless adaptor are you using?
              >
              >Cheers,
              >
              >H.

              Pro Wireless 2200, Intel