Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Inspiron 1200 Fn-F2

  • Herman
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
      Haedn Thorn wrote:
      > --- Stephen Lau <ldl@...> wrote:
      >
      >>Herman wrote:

      >>>I have two: USB and PCMCIA.
      >>>
      >>>On this 1200 model, the Fn-F2 key is a soft key. Under Windows, it
      >>>turns the WiFi adaptor on/off, both for PCMCIA and USB cards. Under
      >>>Linux, this key is not handled.
      >>>

      >>Wow cool. I had no idea it did that. :) Well, I guess I'm out of ideas
      >>as to what to do... my only other suggestion would be to try the
      >>Linuxant Driverloader and see if that can load it.. ?
      >

      > Have you tried rfswitch? http://rfswitch.sf.net

      Thanks! I'll give that a try too.

      Cheers,
      --
      Herman
    • erick
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
        On Friday June 3 2005 1:07 pm, Herman wrote:
        > Stephen Lau wrote:
        > > Wow cool. I had no idea it did that. :) Well, I guess I'm out of ideas
        > > as to what to do... my only other suggestion would be to try the
        > > Linuxant Driverloader and see if that can load it.. ?
        >
        > Thanks for that tip. I wasn't aware of Linuxant. I'll give them a try
        > and if it works report back here.
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Herman

        ndiswrapper -l

        You got ndiswrapper to say the driver and hardware are present and loaded
        right ??

        did you set up the rest of the card using iwconfig ?

        then setup the card in linux ?

        --
        The inherent downside in a life of pursuing women is the
        possibility of inadvertently catching one
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
          erick wrote:

          > ndiswrapper -l
          >
          > You got ndiswrapper to say the driver and hardware are present and loaded
          > right ??
          >
          > did you set up the rest of the card using iwconfig ?
          >
          > then setup the card in linux ?

          Yes, everything is OK, except that it doesn't create a new device - no
          wlan0.

          Soooooooooo, I gave up and bought a horrid Linksys ethernet-wifi-bridge.
          I don't know why the thing is so freakin huge, but at least it works
          well.

          Cheers,

          H.
        • ken
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 4, 2005
            Herman wrote:

            >Stephen Lau wrote:
            >

            >>I'm confused. Is this a PCMCIA card, or a mini-PCI card?
            >>The Fn-F2 hotkey is to turn the built in mini-PCI card on/off. I don't
            >>believe it works for PCMCIA devices...
            >>

            >I have two: USB and PCMCIA.
            >
            >On this 1200 model, the Fn-F2 key is a soft key. Under Windows, it
            >turns the WiFi adaptor on/off, both for PCMCIA and USB cards. Under
            >Linux, this key is not handled.
            >
            >Cheers,
            >
            >Herman
            >
            >Fn-F2 works fine for me (running Gnome/Suse 9.3 on I600m w/ Pro Wireless 2200).

            do. Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care to live.
            -- Bradford Angier
          • Herman
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 4, 2005
              ken wrote:

              >>Fn-F2 works fine for me (running Gnome/Suse 9.3 on I600m w/ Pro Wireless 2200).

              Interesting - /var/log/messages says:
              "kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed..."
              "kernel: atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e008 <keycode>' to make it known"

              What wireless adaptor are you using?

              Cheers,

              H.
            • ken
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 4, 2005
                Herman wrote:

                >ken wrote:
                >

                >>>Fn-F2 works fine for me (running Gnome/Suse 9.3 on I600m w/ Pro Wireless 2200).
                >>>

                >Interesting - /var/log/messages says:
                >"kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed..."
                >"kernel: atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e008 <keycode>' to make it known"
                >
                >What wireless adaptor are you using?
                >
                >Cheers,
                >
                >H.

                Pro Wireless 2200, Intel