Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Inspiron 1200 Fn-F2

  • Haedn Thorn
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
      --- Stephen Lau <ldl@...> wrote:
      > Herman wrote:
      >
      > >Stephen Lau wrote:
      > >

      > >>I'm confused. Is this a PCMCIA card, or a mini-PCI card?
      > >>The Fn-F2 hotkey is to turn the built in mini-PCI card on/off. I don't
      > >>believe it works for PCMCIA devices...
      > >>

      > >I have two: USB and PCMCIA.
      > >
      > >On this 1200 model, the Fn-F2 key is a soft key. Under Windows, it
      > >turns the WiFi adaptor on/off, both for PCMCIA and USB cards. Under
      > >Linux, this key is not handled.
      > >

      > Wow cool. I had no idea it did that. :) Well, I guess I'm out of ideas
      > as to what to do... my only other suggestion would be to try the
      > Linuxant Driverloader and see if that can load it.. ?

      Have you tried rfswitch? http://rfswitch.sf.net
    • Herman
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
        Haedn Thorn wrote:
        > --- Stephen Lau <ldl@...> wrote:
        >
        >>Herman wrote:

        >>>I have two: USB and PCMCIA.
        >>>
        >>>On this 1200 model, the Fn-F2 key is a soft key. Under Windows, it
        >>>turns the WiFi adaptor on/off, both for PCMCIA and USB cards. Under
        >>>Linux, this key is not handled.
        >>>

        >>Wow cool. I had no idea it did that. :) Well, I guess I'm out of ideas
        >>as to what to do... my only other suggestion would be to try the
        >>Linuxant Driverloader and see if that can load it.. ?
        >

        > Have you tried rfswitch? http://rfswitch.sf.net

        Thanks! I'll give that a try too.

        Cheers,
        --
        Herman
      • erick
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
          On Friday June 3 2005 1:07 pm, Herman wrote:
          > Stephen Lau wrote:
          > > Wow cool. I had no idea it did that. :) Well, I guess I'm out of ideas
          > > as to what to do... my only other suggestion would be to try the
          > > Linuxant Driverloader and see if that can load it.. ?
          >
          > Thanks for that tip. I wasn't aware of Linuxant. I'll give them a try
          > and if it works report back here.
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Herman

          ndiswrapper -l

          You got ndiswrapper to say the driver and hardware are present and loaded
          right ??

          did you set up the rest of the card using iwconfig ?

          then setup the card in linux ?

          --
          The inherent downside in a life of pursuing women is the
          possibility of inadvertently catching one
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
            erick wrote:

            > ndiswrapper -l
            >
            > You got ndiswrapper to say the driver and hardware are present and loaded
            > right ??
            >
            > did you set up the rest of the card using iwconfig ?
            >
            > then setup the card in linux ?

            Yes, everything is OK, except that it doesn't create a new device - no
            wlan0.

            Soooooooooo, I gave up and bought a horrid Linksys ethernet-wifi-bridge.
            I don't know why the thing is so freakin huge, but at least it works
            well.

            Cheers,

            H.
          • ken
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 4, 2005
              Herman wrote:

              >Stephen Lau wrote:
              >

              >>I'm confused. Is this a PCMCIA card, or a mini-PCI card?
              >>The Fn-F2 hotkey is to turn the built in mini-PCI card on/off. I don't
              >>believe it works for PCMCIA devices...
              >>

              >I have two: USB and PCMCIA.
              >
              >On this 1200 model, the Fn-F2 key is a soft key. Under Windows, it
              >turns the WiFi adaptor on/off, both for PCMCIA and USB cards. Under
              >Linux, this key is not handled.
              >
              >Cheers,
              >
              >Herman
              >
              >Fn-F2 works fine for me (running Gnome/Suse 9.3 on I600m w/ Pro Wireless 2200).

              do. Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care to live.
              -- Bradford Angier
            • Herman
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 4, 2005
                ken wrote:

                >>Fn-F2 works fine for me (running Gnome/Suse 9.3 on I600m w/ Pro Wireless 2200).

                Interesting - /var/log/messages says:
                "kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed..."
                "kernel: atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e008 <keycode>' to make it known"

                What wireless adaptor are you using?

                Cheers,

                H.
              • ken
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 4, 2005
                  Herman wrote:

                  >ken wrote:
                  >

                  >>>Fn-F2 works fine for me (running Gnome/Suse 9.3 on I600m w/ Pro Wireless 2200).
                  >>>

                  >Interesting - /var/log/messages says:
                  >"kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed..."
                  >"kernel: atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e008 <keycode>' to make it known"
                  >
                  >What wireless adaptor are you using?
                  >
                  >Cheers,
                  >
                  >H.

                  Pro Wireless 2200, Intel