Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Inspiron 1200 Fn-F2

  • Herman
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
      Stephen Lau wrote:

      > Wow cool. I had no idea it did that. :) Well, I guess I'm out of ideas
      > as to what to do... my only other suggestion would be to try the
      > Linuxant Driverloader and see if that can load it.. ?

      Thanks for that tip. I wasn't aware of Linuxant. I'll give them a try
      and if it works report back here.

      Cheers,

      Herman
    • Haedn Thorn
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
        --- Stephen Lau <ldl@...> wrote:
        > Herman wrote:
        >
        > >Stephen Lau wrote:
        > >

        > >>I'm confused. Is this a PCMCIA card, or a mini-PCI card?
        > >>The Fn-F2 hotkey is to turn the built in mini-PCI card on/off. I don't
        > >>believe it works for PCMCIA devices...
        > >>

        > >I have two: USB and PCMCIA.
        > >
        > >On this 1200 model, the Fn-F2 key is a soft key. Under Windows, it
        > >turns the WiFi adaptor on/off, both for PCMCIA and USB cards. Under
        > >Linux, this key is not handled.
        > >

        > Wow cool. I had no idea it did that. :) Well, I guess I'm out of ideas
        > as to what to do... my only other suggestion would be to try the
        > Linuxant Driverloader and see if that can load it.. ?

        Have you tried rfswitch? http://rfswitch.sf.net
      • Herman
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
          Haedn Thorn wrote:
          > --- Stephen Lau <ldl@...> wrote:
          >
          >>Herman wrote:

          >>>I have two: USB and PCMCIA.
          >>>
          >>>On this 1200 model, the Fn-F2 key is a soft key. Under Windows, it
          >>>turns the WiFi adaptor on/off, both for PCMCIA and USB cards. Under
          >>>Linux, this key is not handled.
          >>>

          >>Wow cool. I had no idea it did that. :) Well, I guess I'm out of ideas
          >>as to what to do... my only other suggestion would be to try the
          >>Linuxant Driverloader and see if that can load it.. ?
          >

          > Have you tried rfswitch? http://rfswitch.sf.net

          Thanks! I'll give that a try too.

          Cheers,
          --
          Herman
        • erick
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
            On Friday June 3 2005 1:07 pm, Herman wrote:
            > Stephen Lau wrote:
            > > Wow cool. I had no idea it did that. :) Well, I guess I'm out of ideas
            > > as to what to do... my only other suggestion would be to try the
            > > Linuxant Driverloader and see if that can load it.. ?
            >
            > Thanks for that tip. I wasn't aware of Linuxant. I'll give them a try
            > and if it works report back here.
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > Herman

            ndiswrapper -l

            You got ndiswrapper to say the driver and hardware are present and loaded
            right ??

            did you set up the rest of the card using iwconfig ?

            then setup the card in linux ?

            --
            The inherent downside in a life of pursuing women is the
            possibility of inadvertently catching one
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
              erick wrote:

              > ndiswrapper -l
              >
              > You got ndiswrapper to say the driver and hardware are present and loaded
              > right ??
              >
              > did you set up the rest of the card using iwconfig ?
              >
              > then setup the card in linux ?

              Yes, everything is OK, except that it doesn't create a new device - no
              wlan0.

              Soooooooooo, I gave up and bought a horrid Linksys ethernet-wifi-bridge.
              I don't know why the thing is so freakin huge, but at least it works
              well.

              Cheers,

              H.
            • ken
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 4, 2005
                Herman wrote:

                >Stephen Lau wrote:
                >

                >>I'm confused. Is this a PCMCIA card, or a mini-PCI card?
                >>The Fn-F2 hotkey is to turn the built in mini-PCI card on/off. I don't
                >>believe it works for PCMCIA devices...
                >>

                >I have two: USB and PCMCIA.
                >
                >On this 1200 model, the Fn-F2 key is a soft key. Under Windows, it
                >turns the WiFi adaptor on/off, both for PCMCIA and USB cards. Under
                >Linux, this key is not handled.
                >
                >Cheers,
                >
                >Herman
                >
                >Fn-F2 works fine for me (running Gnome/Suse 9.3 on I600m w/ Pro Wireless 2200).

                do. Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care to live.
                -- Bradford Angier
              • Herman
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 4, 2005
                  ken wrote:

                  >>Fn-F2 works fine for me (running Gnome/Suse 9.3 on I600m w/ Pro Wireless 2200).

                  Interesting - /var/log/messages says:
                  "kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed..."
                  "kernel: atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e008 <keycode>' to make it known"

                  What wireless adaptor are you using?

                  Cheers,

                  H.
                • ken
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 4, 2005
                    Herman wrote:

                    >ken wrote:
                    >

                    >>>Fn-F2 works fine for me (running Gnome/Suse 9.3 on I600m w/ Pro Wireless 2200).
                    >>>

                    >Interesting - /var/log/messages says:
                    >"kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed..."
                    >"kernel: atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e008 <keycode>' to make it known"
                    >
                    >What wireless adaptor are you using?
                    >
                    >Cheers,
                    >
                    >H.

                    Pro Wireless 2200, Intel