Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Inspiron 1200 Fn-F2

  • Stephen Lau
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
      Herman wrote:

      >Stephen Lau wrote:
      >

      >>I'm confused. Is this a PCMCIA card, or a mini-PCI card?
      >>The Fn-F2 hotkey is to turn the built in mini-PCI card on/off. I don't
      >>believe it works for PCMCIA devices...
      >>

      >I have two: USB and PCMCIA.
      >
      >On this 1200 model, the Fn-F2 key is a soft key. Under Windows, it
      >turns the WiFi adaptor on/off, both for PCMCIA and USB cards. Under
      >Linux, this key is not handled.

      Wow cool. I had no idea it did that. :) Well, I guess I'm out of ideas
      as to what to do... my only other suggestion would be to try the
      Linuxant Driverloader and see if that can load it.. ?
    • Herman
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
        Stephen Lau wrote:

        > Wow cool. I had no idea it did that. :) Well, I guess I'm out of ideas
        > as to what to do... my only other suggestion would be to try the
        > Linuxant Driverloader and see if that can load it.. ?

        Thanks for that tip. I wasn't aware of Linuxant. I'll give them a try
        and if it works report back here.

        Cheers,

        Herman
      • Haedn Thorn
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
          --- Stephen Lau <ldl@...> wrote:
          > Herman wrote:
          >
          > >Stephen Lau wrote:
          > >

          > >>I'm confused. Is this a PCMCIA card, or a mini-PCI card?
          > >>The Fn-F2 hotkey is to turn the built in mini-PCI card on/off. I don't
          > >>believe it works for PCMCIA devices...
          > >>

          > >I have two: USB and PCMCIA.
          > >
          > >On this 1200 model, the Fn-F2 key is a soft key. Under Windows, it
          > >turns the WiFi adaptor on/off, both for PCMCIA and USB cards. Under
          > >Linux, this key is not handled.
          > >

          > Wow cool. I had no idea it did that. :) Well, I guess I'm out of ideas
          > as to what to do... my only other suggestion would be to try the
          > Linuxant Driverloader and see if that can load it.. ?

          Have you tried rfswitch? http://rfswitch.sf.net
        • Herman
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
            Haedn Thorn wrote:
            > --- Stephen Lau <ldl@...> wrote:
            >
            >>Herman wrote:

            >>>I have two: USB and PCMCIA.
            >>>
            >>>On this 1200 model, the Fn-F2 key is a soft key. Under Windows, it
            >>>turns the WiFi adaptor on/off, both for PCMCIA and USB cards. Under
            >>>Linux, this key is not handled.
            >>>

            >>Wow cool. I had no idea it did that. :) Well, I guess I'm out of ideas
            >>as to what to do... my only other suggestion would be to try the
            >>Linuxant Driverloader and see if that can load it.. ?
            >

            > Have you tried rfswitch? http://rfswitch.sf.net

            Thanks! I'll give that a try too.

            Cheers,
            --
            Herman
          • erick
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
              On Friday June 3 2005 1:07 pm, Herman wrote:
              > Stephen Lau wrote:
              > > Wow cool. I had no idea it did that. :) Well, I guess I'm out of ideas
              > > as to what to do... my only other suggestion would be to try the
              > > Linuxant Driverloader and see if that can load it.. ?
              >
              > Thanks for that tip. I wasn't aware of Linuxant. I'll give them a try
              > and if it works report back here.
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > Herman

              ndiswrapper -l

              You got ndiswrapper to say the driver and hardware are present and loaded
              right ??

              did you set up the rest of the card using iwconfig ?

              then setup the card in linux ?

              --
              The inherent downside in a life of pursuing women is the
              possibility of inadvertently catching one
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
                erick wrote:

                > ndiswrapper -l
                >
                > You got ndiswrapper to say the driver and hardware are present and loaded
                > right ??
                >
                > did you set up the rest of the card using iwconfig ?
                >
                > then setup the card in linux ?

                Yes, everything is OK, except that it doesn't create a new device - no
                wlan0.

                Soooooooooo, I gave up and bought a horrid Linksys ethernet-wifi-bridge.
                I don't know why the thing is so freakin huge, but at least it works
                well.

                Cheers,

                H.
              • ken
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 4, 2005
                  Herman wrote:

                  >Stephen Lau wrote:
                  >

                  >>I'm confused. Is this a PCMCIA card, or a mini-PCI card?
                  >>The Fn-F2 hotkey is to turn the built in mini-PCI card on/off. I don't
                  >>believe it works for PCMCIA devices...
                  >>

                  >I have two: USB and PCMCIA.
                  >
                  >On this 1200 model, the Fn-F2 key is a soft key. Under Windows, it
                  >turns the WiFi adaptor on/off, both for PCMCIA and USB cards. Under
                  >Linux, this key is not handled.
                  >
                  >Cheers,
                  >
                  >Herman
                  >
                  >Fn-F2 works fine for me (running Gnome/Suse 9.3 on I600m w/ Pro Wireless 2200).

                  do. Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care to live.
                  -- Bradford Angier
                • Herman
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 4, 2005
                    ken wrote:

                    >>Fn-F2 works fine for me (running Gnome/Suse 9.3 on I600m w/ Pro Wireless 2200).

                    Interesting - /var/log/messages says:
                    "kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed..."
                    "kernel: atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e008 <keycode>' to make it known"

                    What wireless adaptor are you using?

                    Cheers,

                    H.
                  • ken
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 4, 2005
                      Herman wrote:

                      >ken wrote:
                      >

                      >>>Fn-F2 works fine for me (running Gnome/Suse 9.3 on I600m w/ Pro Wireless 2200).
                      >>>

                      >Interesting - /var/log/messages says:
                      >"kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed..."
                      >"kernel: atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e008 <keycode>' to make it known"
                      >
                      >What wireless adaptor are you using?
                      >
                      >Cheers,
                      >
                      >H.

                      Pro Wireless 2200, Intel