Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Inspiron 1200 Fn-F2

  • Herman
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 2, 2005
      Stephen Lau wrote:

      > I'm confused. Is this a PCMCIA card, or a mini-PCI card?
      > The Fn-F2 hotkey is to turn the built in mini-PCI card on/off. I don't
      > believe it works for PCMCIA devices...

      I have two: USB and PCMCIA.

      On this 1200 model, the Fn-F2 key is a soft key. Under Windows, it
      turns the WiFi adaptor on/off, both for PCMCIA and USB cards. Under
      Linux, this key is not handled.

      Cheers,

      Herman
    • Stephen Lau
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
        Herman wrote:

        >Stephen Lau wrote:
        >

        >>I'm confused. Is this a PCMCIA card, or a mini-PCI card?
        >>The Fn-F2 hotkey is to turn the built in mini-PCI card on/off. I don't
        >>believe it works for PCMCIA devices...
        >>

        >I have two: USB and PCMCIA.
        >
        >On this 1200 model, the Fn-F2 key is a soft key. Under Windows, it
        >turns the WiFi adaptor on/off, both for PCMCIA and USB cards. Under
        >Linux, this key is not handled.

        Wow cool. I had no idea it did that. :) Well, I guess I'm out of ideas
        as to what to do... my only other suggestion would be to try the
        Linuxant Driverloader and see if that can load it.. ?
      • Herman
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
          Stephen Lau wrote:

          > Wow cool. I had no idea it did that. :) Well, I guess I'm out of ideas
          > as to what to do... my only other suggestion would be to try the
          > Linuxant Driverloader and see if that can load it.. ?

          Thanks for that tip. I wasn't aware of Linuxant. I'll give them a try
          and if it works report back here.

          Cheers,

          Herman
        • Haedn Thorn
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
            --- Stephen Lau <ldl@...> wrote:
            > Herman wrote:
            >
            > >Stephen Lau wrote:
            > >

            > >>I'm confused. Is this a PCMCIA card, or a mini-PCI card?
            > >>The Fn-F2 hotkey is to turn the built in mini-PCI card on/off. I don't
            > >>believe it works for PCMCIA devices...
            > >>

            > >I have two: USB and PCMCIA.
            > >
            > >On this 1200 model, the Fn-F2 key is a soft key. Under Windows, it
            > >turns the WiFi adaptor on/off, both for PCMCIA and USB cards. Under
            > >Linux, this key is not handled.
            > >

            > Wow cool. I had no idea it did that. :) Well, I guess I'm out of ideas
            > as to what to do... my only other suggestion would be to try the
            > Linuxant Driverloader and see if that can load it.. ?

            Have you tried rfswitch? http://rfswitch.sf.net
          • Herman
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
              Haedn Thorn wrote:
              > --- Stephen Lau <ldl@...> wrote:
              >
              >>Herman wrote:

              >>>I have two: USB and PCMCIA.
              >>>
              >>>On this 1200 model, the Fn-F2 key is a soft key. Under Windows, it
              >>>turns the WiFi adaptor on/off, both for PCMCIA and USB cards. Under
              >>>Linux, this key is not handled.
              >>>

              >>Wow cool. I had no idea it did that. :) Well, I guess I'm out of ideas
              >>as to what to do... my only other suggestion would be to try the
              >>Linuxant Driverloader and see if that can load it.. ?
              >

              > Have you tried rfswitch? http://rfswitch.sf.net

              Thanks! I'll give that a try too.

              Cheers,
              --
              Herman
            • erick
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
                On Friday June 3 2005 1:07 pm, Herman wrote:
                > Stephen Lau wrote:
                > > Wow cool. I had no idea it did that. :) Well, I guess I'm out of ideas
                > > as to what to do... my only other suggestion would be to try the
                > > Linuxant Driverloader and see if that can load it.. ?
                >
                > Thanks for that tip. I wasn't aware of Linuxant. I'll give them a try
                > and if it works report back here.
                >
                > Cheers,
                >
                > Herman

                ndiswrapper -l

                You got ndiswrapper to say the driver and hardware are present and loaded
                right ??

                did you set up the rest of the card using iwconfig ?

                then setup the card in linux ?

                --
                The inherent downside in a life of pursuing women is the
                possibility of inadvertently catching one
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
                  erick wrote:

                  > ndiswrapper -l
                  >
                  > You got ndiswrapper to say the driver and hardware are present and loaded
                  > right ??
                  >
                  > did you set up the rest of the card using iwconfig ?
                  >
                  > then setup the card in linux ?

                  Yes, everything is OK, except that it doesn't create a new device - no
                  wlan0.

                  Soooooooooo, I gave up and bought a horrid Linksys ethernet-wifi-bridge.
                  I don't know why the thing is so freakin huge, but at least it works
                  well.

                  Cheers,

                  H.
                • ken
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 4, 2005
                    Herman wrote:

                    >Stephen Lau wrote:
                    >

                    >>I'm confused. Is this a PCMCIA card, or a mini-PCI card?
                    >>The Fn-F2 hotkey is to turn the built in mini-PCI card on/off. I don't
                    >>believe it works for PCMCIA devices...
                    >>

                    >I have two: USB and PCMCIA.
                    >
                    >On this 1200 model, the Fn-F2 key is a soft key. Under Windows, it
                    >turns the WiFi adaptor on/off, both for PCMCIA and USB cards. Under
                    >Linux, this key is not handled.
                    >
                    >Cheers,
                    >
                    >Herman
                    >
                    >Fn-F2 works fine for me (running Gnome/Suse 9.3 on I600m w/ Pro Wireless 2200).

                    do. Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care to live.
                    -- Bradford Angier
                  • Herman
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 4, 2005
                      ken wrote:

                      >>Fn-F2 works fine for me (running Gnome/Suse 9.3 on I600m w/ Pro Wireless 2200).

                      Interesting - /var/log/messages says:
                      "kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed..."
                      "kernel: atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e008 <keycode>' to make it known"

                      What wireless adaptor are you using?

                      Cheers,

                      H.
                    • ken
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 4, 2005
                        Herman wrote:

                        >ken wrote:
                        >

                        >>>Fn-F2 works fine for me (running Gnome/Suse 9.3 on I600m w/ Pro Wireless 2200).
                        >>>

                        >Interesting - /var/log/messages says:
                        >"kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed..."
                        >"kernel: atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e008 <keycode>' to make it known"
                        >
                        >What wireless adaptor are you using?
                        >
                        >Cheers,
                        >
                        >H.

                        Pro Wireless 2200, Intel