Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Inspiron 1100 -

  • tom loong
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 2, 2005
      Hi All,

      need some help !

      following are the info:

      ##################################
      system dell inspiron 1100 with Fedora 3
      #
      Linux kyt 2.6.11-1.27_FC3
      #
      [root@kyt ~]# ndiswrapper -l
      Installed ndis drivers:
      mrv8ka51 driver present, hardware present
      #
      root@kyt ~]# iwconfig
      #
      lo no wireless extensions.
      eth0 no wireless extensions.
      sit0 no wireless extensions.
      #
      wlan0 IEEE 802.11b ESSID:off/any
      Mode:Managed Channel:0 Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00
      Bit Rate:54 Mb/s Sensitivity=-200 dBm
      RTS thr:2346 B Fragment thr:2346 B
      Encryption key:off
      Power Management:off
      Link Quality:100/100 Signal level:-50 dBm Noise
      level:-256 dBm

      root@kyt ~]# iwlist wlan0 scanning
      wlan0 Scan completed :
      Cell 01 - Address: 00:0E:A6:7F:03:95
      ESSID:"tonyhomegateway"
      Protocol:IEEE 802.11b
      Mode:Managed
      Frequency:2.412 GHz (Channel 1)
      Quality:0/100 Signal level:-52 dBm Noise level:-256
      dBm
      Encryption key:off
      Bit Rate:1 Mb/s
      Bit Rate:2 Mb/s
      Bit Rate:5.5 Mb/s
      Bit Rate:11 Mb/s
      Bit Rate:18 Mb/s
      Bit Rate:24 Mb/s
      Bit Rate:36 Mb/s
      Bit Rate:54 Mb/s
      Bit Rate:6 Mb/s
      Bit Rate:9 Mb/s
      Bit Rate:12 Mb/s
      Bit Rate:48 Mb/s
      Extra:bcn_int=100
      Extra:atim=0
      Cell 02 - Address: 00:11:24:5B:C3:23
      ESSID:"Apple Network "
      Protocol:IEEE 802.11b
      Mode:Managed
      Frequency:2.412 GHz (Channel 1)
      Quality:0/100 Signal level:-95 dBm Noise level:-256
      dBm
      Encryption key:on
      Bit Rate:1 Mb/s
      Bit Rate:2 Mb/s
      Bit Rate:5.5 Mb/s
      Bit Rate:6 Mb/s
      Bit Rate:9 Mb/s
      Bit Rate:11 Mb/s
      Bit Rate:12 Mb/s
      Bit Rate:18 Mb/s
      Bit Rate:24 Mb/s
      Bit Rate:36 Mb/s
      Bit Rate:48 Mb/s
      Bit Rate:54 Mb/s
      Extra:bcn_int=100
      Extra:atim=0

      B4 i config a iwlan0 interface into /etc/sysconfig, it
      seems i can iwlist scanning, the card power/activity
      led seems function ok. but try to find the correct
      config for the iwlan0 interface.

      pls comment

      thanks

      tom

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Herman
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 2, 2005
        Stephen Lau wrote:

        > I'm confused. Is this a PCMCIA card, or a mini-PCI card?
        > The Fn-F2 hotkey is to turn the built in mini-PCI card on/off. I don't
        > believe it works for PCMCIA devices...

        I have two: USB and PCMCIA.

        On this 1200 model, the Fn-F2 key is a soft key. Under Windows, it
        turns the WiFi adaptor on/off, both for PCMCIA and USB cards. Under
        Linux, this key is not handled.

        Cheers,

        Herman
      • Stephen Lau
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
          Herman wrote:

          >Stephen Lau wrote:
          >

          >>I'm confused. Is this a PCMCIA card, or a mini-PCI card?
          >>The Fn-F2 hotkey is to turn the built in mini-PCI card on/off. I don't
          >>believe it works for PCMCIA devices...
          >>

          >I have two: USB and PCMCIA.
          >
          >On this 1200 model, the Fn-F2 key is a soft key. Under Windows, it
          >turns the WiFi adaptor on/off, both for PCMCIA and USB cards. Under
          >Linux, this key is not handled.

          Wow cool. I had no idea it did that. :) Well, I guess I'm out of ideas
          as to what to do... my only other suggestion would be to try the
          Linuxant Driverloader and see if that can load it.. ?
        • Herman
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
            Stephen Lau wrote:

            > Wow cool. I had no idea it did that. :) Well, I guess I'm out of ideas
            > as to what to do... my only other suggestion would be to try the
            > Linuxant Driverloader and see if that can load it.. ?

            Thanks for that tip. I wasn't aware of Linuxant. I'll give them a try
            and if it works report back here.

            Cheers,

            Herman
          • Haedn Thorn
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
              --- Stephen Lau <ldl@...> wrote:
              > Herman wrote:
              >
              > >Stephen Lau wrote:
              > >

              > >>I'm confused. Is this a PCMCIA card, or a mini-PCI card?
              > >>The Fn-F2 hotkey is to turn the built in mini-PCI card on/off. I don't
              > >>believe it works for PCMCIA devices...
              > >>

              > >I have two: USB and PCMCIA.
              > >
              > >On this 1200 model, the Fn-F2 key is a soft key. Under Windows, it
              > >turns the WiFi adaptor on/off, both for PCMCIA and USB cards. Under
              > >Linux, this key is not handled.
              > >

              > Wow cool. I had no idea it did that. :) Well, I guess I'm out of ideas
              > as to what to do... my only other suggestion would be to try the
              > Linuxant Driverloader and see if that can load it.. ?

              Have you tried rfswitch? http://rfswitch.sf.net
            • Herman
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
                Haedn Thorn wrote:
                > --- Stephen Lau <ldl@...> wrote:
                >
                >>Herman wrote:

                >>>I have two: USB and PCMCIA.
                >>>
                >>>On this 1200 model, the Fn-F2 key is a soft key. Under Windows, it
                >>>turns the WiFi adaptor on/off, both for PCMCIA and USB cards. Under
                >>>Linux, this key is not handled.
                >>>

                >>Wow cool. I had no idea it did that. :) Well, I guess I'm out of ideas
                >>as to what to do... my only other suggestion would be to try the
                >>Linuxant Driverloader and see if that can load it.. ?
                >

                > Have you tried rfswitch? http://rfswitch.sf.net

                Thanks! I'll give that a try too.

                Cheers,
                --
                Herman
              • erick
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
                  On Friday June 3 2005 1:07 pm, Herman wrote:
                  > Stephen Lau wrote:
                  > > Wow cool. I had no idea it did that. :) Well, I guess I'm out of ideas
                  > > as to what to do... my only other suggestion would be to try the
                  > > Linuxant Driverloader and see if that can load it.. ?
                  >
                  > Thanks for that tip. I wasn't aware of Linuxant. I'll give them a try
                  > and if it works report back here.
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  >
                  > Herman

                  ndiswrapper -l

                  You got ndiswrapper to say the driver and hardware are present and loaded
                  right ??

                  did you set up the rest of the card using iwconfig ?

                  then setup the card in linux ?

                  --
                  The inherent downside in a life of pursuing women is the
                  possibility of inadvertently catching one
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
                    erick wrote:

                    > ndiswrapper -l
                    >
                    > You got ndiswrapper to say the driver and hardware are present and loaded
                    > right ??
                    >
                    > did you set up the rest of the card using iwconfig ?
                    >
                    > then setup the card in linux ?

                    Yes, everything is OK, except that it doesn't create a new device - no
                    wlan0.

                    Soooooooooo, I gave up and bought a horrid Linksys ethernet-wifi-bridge.
                    I don't know why the thing is so freakin huge, but at least it works
                    well.

                    Cheers,

                    H.
                  • ken
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 4, 2005
                      Herman wrote:

                      >Stephen Lau wrote:
                      >

                      >>I'm confused. Is this a PCMCIA card, or a mini-PCI card?
                      >>The Fn-F2 hotkey is to turn the built in mini-PCI card on/off. I don't
                      >>believe it works for PCMCIA devices...
                      >>

                      >I have two: USB and PCMCIA.
                      >
                      >On this 1200 model, the Fn-F2 key is a soft key. Under Windows, it
                      >turns the WiFi adaptor on/off, both for PCMCIA and USB cards. Under
                      >Linux, this key is not handled.
                      >
                      >Cheers,
                      >
                      >Herman
                      >
                      >Fn-F2 works fine for me (running Gnome/Suse 9.3 on I600m w/ Pro Wireless 2200).

                      do. Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care to live.
                      -- Bradford Angier
                    • Herman
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 4, 2005
                        ken wrote:

                        >>Fn-F2 works fine for me (running Gnome/Suse 9.3 on I600m w/ Pro Wireless 2200).

                        Interesting - /var/log/messages says:
                        "kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed..."
                        "kernel: atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e008 <keycode>' to make it known"

                        What wireless adaptor are you using?

                        Cheers,

                        H.
                      • ken
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 4, 2005
                          Herman wrote:

                          >ken wrote:
                          >

                          >>>Fn-F2 works fine for me (running Gnome/Suse 9.3 on I600m w/ Pro Wireless 2200).
                          >>>

                          >Interesting - /var/log/messages says:
                          >"kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed..."
                          >"kernel: atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e008 <keycode>' to make it known"
                          >
                          >What wireless adaptor are you using?
                          >
                          >Cheers,
                          >
                          >H.

                          Pro Wireless 2200, Intel