Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Inspiron 1200 Fn-F2

  • Stephen Lau
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 2, 2005
      Herman wrote:

      >Stephen Lau wrote:
      >

      >>What kind of wifi card is in the 1200? If you boot it up in Windows,
      >>and then soft-reboot into Linux does the wifi work?
      >>

      >It is a Dell Wireless 1350, Model WL-611GD, Broadcom BCM4306 chip set,
      >cardbus.
      >
      >As soon as Windows shuts down, the Power LED goes out and stays out.
      >
      >I tried using the same driver with ndiswrapper bcmwl5.sys/inf.
      >Everything installs and configures merrily, except that it doesn't
      >actually work. Eg. service network restart says wlan0 OK, but it
      >doesn't exist. Even if I remove the card and restart the network, it
      >still says wlan0 OK and if I run ifconfig, wlan0 doesn't exist.
      >
      >I also tried a Dlink DWL-G132 USB device, with pretty much the same
      >result. No error messages, everything is happy, but it doesn't work.
      >
      >Sooooo, I guess I have to go and buy yet another adaptor and sell my
      >growing collection on Ebay...
      >
      >Cheers,
      >
      >Herman

      I'm confused. Is this a PCMCIA card, or a mini-PCI card?
      The Fn-F2 hotkey is to turn the built in mini-PCI card on/off. I don't
      believe it works for PCMCIA devices...

      cheers,
      steve
    • tom loong
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 2, 2005
        Hi All,

        need some help !

        following are the info:

        ##################################
        system dell inspiron 1100 with Fedora 3
        #
        Linux kyt 2.6.11-1.27_FC3
        #
        [root@kyt ~]# ndiswrapper -l
        Installed ndis drivers:
        mrv8ka51 driver present, hardware present
        #
        root@kyt ~]# iwconfig
        #
        lo no wireless extensions.
        eth0 no wireless extensions.
        sit0 no wireless extensions.
        #
        wlan0 IEEE 802.11b ESSID:off/any
        Mode:Managed Channel:0 Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00
        Bit Rate:54 Mb/s Sensitivity=-200 dBm
        RTS thr:2346 B Fragment thr:2346 B
        Encryption key:off
        Power Management:off
        Link Quality:100/100 Signal level:-50 dBm Noise
        level:-256 dBm

        root@kyt ~]# iwlist wlan0 scanning
        wlan0 Scan completed :
        Cell 01 - Address: 00:0E:A6:7F:03:95
        ESSID:"tonyhomegateway"
        Protocol:IEEE 802.11b
        Mode:Managed
        Frequency:2.412 GHz (Channel 1)
        Quality:0/100 Signal level:-52 dBm Noise level:-256
        dBm
        Encryption key:off
        Bit Rate:1 Mb/s
        Bit Rate:2 Mb/s
        Bit Rate:5.5 Mb/s
        Bit Rate:11 Mb/s
        Bit Rate:18 Mb/s
        Bit Rate:24 Mb/s
        Bit Rate:36 Mb/s
        Bit Rate:54 Mb/s
        Bit Rate:6 Mb/s
        Bit Rate:9 Mb/s
        Bit Rate:12 Mb/s
        Bit Rate:48 Mb/s
        Extra:bcn_int=100
        Extra:atim=0
        Cell 02 - Address: 00:11:24:5B:C3:23
        ESSID:"Apple Network "
        Protocol:IEEE 802.11b
        Mode:Managed
        Frequency:2.412 GHz (Channel 1)
        Quality:0/100 Signal level:-95 dBm Noise level:-256
        dBm
        Encryption key:on
        Bit Rate:1 Mb/s
        Bit Rate:2 Mb/s
        Bit Rate:5.5 Mb/s
        Bit Rate:6 Mb/s
        Bit Rate:9 Mb/s
        Bit Rate:11 Mb/s
        Bit Rate:12 Mb/s
        Bit Rate:18 Mb/s
        Bit Rate:24 Mb/s
        Bit Rate:36 Mb/s
        Bit Rate:48 Mb/s
        Bit Rate:54 Mb/s
        Extra:bcn_int=100
        Extra:atim=0

        B4 i config a iwlan0 interface into /etc/sysconfig, it
        seems i can iwlist scanning, the card power/activity
        led seems function ok. but try to find the correct
        config for the iwlan0 interface.

        pls comment

        thanks

        tom

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Herman
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 2, 2005
          Stephen Lau wrote:

          > I'm confused. Is this a PCMCIA card, or a mini-PCI card?
          > The Fn-F2 hotkey is to turn the built in mini-PCI card on/off. I don't
          > believe it works for PCMCIA devices...

          I have two: USB and PCMCIA.

          On this 1200 model, the Fn-F2 key is a soft key. Under Windows, it
          turns the WiFi adaptor on/off, both for PCMCIA and USB cards. Under
          Linux, this key is not handled.

          Cheers,

          Herman
        • Stephen Lau
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
            Herman wrote:

            >Stephen Lau wrote:
            >

            >>I'm confused. Is this a PCMCIA card, or a mini-PCI card?
            >>The Fn-F2 hotkey is to turn the built in mini-PCI card on/off. I don't
            >>believe it works for PCMCIA devices...
            >>

            >I have two: USB and PCMCIA.
            >
            >On this 1200 model, the Fn-F2 key is a soft key. Under Windows, it
            >turns the WiFi adaptor on/off, both for PCMCIA and USB cards. Under
            >Linux, this key is not handled.

            Wow cool. I had no idea it did that. :) Well, I guess I'm out of ideas
            as to what to do... my only other suggestion would be to try the
            Linuxant Driverloader and see if that can load it.. ?
          • Herman
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
              Stephen Lau wrote:

              > Wow cool. I had no idea it did that. :) Well, I guess I'm out of ideas
              > as to what to do... my only other suggestion would be to try the
              > Linuxant Driverloader and see if that can load it.. ?

              Thanks for that tip. I wasn't aware of Linuxant. I'll give them a try
              and if it works report back here.

              Cheers,

              Herman
            • Haedn Thorn
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
                --- Stephen Lau <ldl@...> wrote:
                > Herman wrote:
                >
                > >Stephen Lau wrote:
                > >

                > >>I'm confused. Is this a PCMCIA card, or a mini-PCI card?
                > >>The Fn-F2 hotkey is to turn the built in mini-PCI card on/off. I don't
                > >>believe it works for PCMCIA devices...
                > >>

                > >I have two: USB and PCMCIA.
                > >
                > >On this 1200 model, the Fn-F2 key is a soft key. Under Windows, it
                > >turns the WiFi adaptor on/off, both for PCMCIA and USB cards. Under
                > >Linux, this key is not handled.
                > >

                > Wow cool. I had no idea it did that. :) Well, I guess I'm out of ideas
                > as to what to do... my only other suggestion would be to try the
                > Linuxant Driverloader and see if that can load it.. ?

                Have you tried rfswitch? http://rfswitch.sf.net
              • Herman
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
                  Haedn Thorn wrote:
                  > --- Stephen Lau <ldl@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >>Herman wrote:

                  >>>I have two: USB and PCMCIA.
                  >>>
                  >>>On this 1200 model, the Fn-F2 key is a soft key. Under Windows, it
                  >>>turns the WiFi adaptor on/off, both for PCMCIA and USB cards. Under
                  >>>Linux, this key is not handled.
                  >>>

                  >>Wow cool. I had no idea it did that. :) Well, I guess I'm out of ideas
                  >>as to what to do... my only other suggestion would be to try the
                  >>Linuxant Driverloader and see if that can load it.. ?
                  >

                  > Have you tried rfswitch? http://rfswitch.sf.net

                  Thanks! I'll give that a try too.

                  Cheers,
                  --
                  Herman
                • erick
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
                    On Friday June 3 2005 1:07 pm, Herman wrote:
                    > Stephen Lau wrote:
                    > > Wow cool. I had no idea it did that. :) Well, I guess I'm out of ideas
                    > > as to what to do... my only other suggestion would be to try the
                    > > Linuxant Driverloader and see if that can load it.. ?
                    >
                    > Thanks for that tip. I wasn't aware of Linuxant. I'll give them a try
                    > and if it works report back here.
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    >
                    > Herman

                    ndiswrapper -l

                    You got ndiswrapper to say the driver and hardware are present and loaded
                    right ??

                    did you set up the rest of the card using iwconfig ?

                    then setup the card in linux ?

                    --
                    The inherent downside in a life of pursuing women is the
                    possibility of inadvertently catching one
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
                      erick wrote:

                      > ndiswrapper -l
                      >
                      > You got ndiswrapper to say the driver and hardware are present and loaded
                      > right ??
                      >
                      > did you set up the rest of the card using iwconfig ?
                      >
                      > then setup the card in linux ?

                      Yes, everything is OK, except that it doesn't create a new device - no
                      wlan0.

                      Soooooooooo, I gave up and bought a horrid Linksys ethernet-wifi-bridge.
                      I don't know why the thing is so freakin huge, but at least it works
                      well.

                      Cheers,

                      H.
                    • ken
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 4, 2005
                        Herman wrote:

                        >Stephen Lau wrote:
                        >

                        >>I'm confused. Is this a PCMCIA card, or a mini-PCI card?
                        >>The Fn-F2 hotkey is to turn the built in mini-PCI card on/off. I don't
                        >>believe it works for PCMCIA devices...
                        >>

                        >I have two: USB and PCMCIA.
                        >
                        >On this 1200 model, the Fn-F2 key is a soft key. Under Windows, it
                        >turns the WiFi adaptor on/off, both for PCMCIA and USB cards. Under
                        >Linux, this key is not handled.
                        >
                        >Cheers,
                        >
                        >Herman
                        >
                        >Fn-F2 works fine for me (running Gnome/Suse 9.3 on I600m w/ Pro Wireless 2200).

                        do. Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care to live.
                        -- Bradford Angier
                      • Herman
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 4, 2005
                          ken wrote:

                          >>Fn-F2 works fine for me (running Gnome/Suse 9.3 on I600m w/ Pro Wireless 2200).

                          Interesting - /var/log/messages says:
                          "kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed..."
                          "kernel: atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e008 <keycode>' to make it known"

                          What wireless adaptor are you using?

                          Cheers,

                          H.
                        • ken
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 4, 2005
                            Herman wrote:

                            >ken wrote:
                            >

                            >>>Fn-F2 works fine for me (running Gnome/Suse 9.3 on I600m w/ Pro Wireless 2200).
                            >>>

                            >Interesting - /var/log/messages says:
                            >"kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed..."
                            >"kernel: atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e008 <keycode>' to make it known"
                            >
                            >What wireless adaptor are you using?
                            >
                            >Cheers,
                            >
                            >H.

                            Pro Wireless 2200, Intel