Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Inspiron 1200 Fn-F2

  • ken
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 1 10:46 PM
      Herman wrote:

      >Hi everybody,
      >
      >It appears that on the Inspiron 1200, the Fn-F2 WiFi power key is a soft
      >key - i.e. it does nothing and when I press it, I get a syslog message
      >saying that keycode e008 is not bound. The problem therefore, is that I
      >can't turn the cardbus WiFi radio on.
      >
      >The PCMCIA controller is PCI1510 from Texas Instruments.
      >The BIOS has a setting to turn the WiFi power on at startup, but it does
      >nothing, the WiFi card LED remains off, irrespective of this setting.
      >
      >Does anyone have a clue how to turn the radio on, without having to
      >resort to a hammer, crowbar and soldering iron?
      >
      >Regards,
      >
      >Herman

      Herman,

      First, be sure that it is turned on in your BIOS. (My Dell was flaky
      for awhile when I first got it and would turn off the radio sporadically
      for no reason. Changing the mainboard fixed that.)

      Running "ifup <hardware-description>" should get it running.

      hth,
      ken

      do. Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care to live.
      -- Bradford Angier
    • Stephen Lau
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 2 9:14 AM
        Herman wrote:

        >Stephen Lau wrote:
        >

        >>What kind of wifi card is in the 1200? If you boot it up in Windows,
        >>and then soft-reboot into Linux does the wifi work?
        >>

        >It is a Dell Wireless 1350, Model WL-611GD, Broadcom BCM4306 chip set,
        >cardbus.
        >
        >As soon as Windows shuts down, the Power LED goes out and stays out.
        >
        >I tried using the same driver with ndiswrapper bcmwl5.sys/inf.
        >Everything installs and configures merrily, except that it doesn't
        >actually work. Eg. service network restart says wlan0 OK, but it
        >doesn't exist. Even if I remove the card and restart the network, it
        >still says wlan0 OK and if I run ifconfig, wlan0 doesn't exist.
        >
        >I also tried a Dlink DWL-G132 USB device, with pretty much the same
        >result. No error messages, everything is happy, but it doesn't work.
        >
        >Sooooo, I guess I have to go and buy yet another adaptor and sell my
        >growing collection on Ebay...
        >
        >Cheers,
        >
        >Herman

        I'm confused. Is this a PCMCIA card, or a mini-PCI card?
        The Fn-F2 hotkey is to turn the built in mini-PCI card on/off. I don't
        believe it works for PCMCIA devices...

        cheers,
        steve
      • tom loong
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 2 8:24 PM
          Hi All,

          need some help !

          following are the info:

          ##################################
          system dell inspiron 1100 with Fedora 3
          #
          Linux kyt 2.6.11-1.27_FC3
          #
          [root@kyt ~]# ndiswrapper -l
          Installed ndis drivers:
          mrv8ka51 driver present, hardware present
          #
          root@kyt ~]# iwconfig
          #
          lo no wireless extensions.
          eth0 no wireless extensions.
          sit0 no wireless extensions.
          #
          wlan0 IEEE 802.11b ESSID:off/any
          Mode:Managed Channel:0 Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00
          Bit Rate:54 Mb/s Sensitivity=-200 dBm
          RTS thr:2346 B Fragment thr:2346 B
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:100/100 Signal level:-50 dBm Noise
          level:-256 dBm

          root@kyt ~]# iwlist wlan0 scanning
          wlan0 Scan completed :
          Cell 01 - Address: 00:0E:A6:7F:03:95
          ESSID:"tonyhomegateway"
          Protocol:IEEE 802.11b
          Mode:Managed
          Frequency:2.412 GHz (Channel 1)
          Quality:0/100 Signal level:-52 dBm Noise level:-256
          dBm
          Encryption key:off
          Bit Rate:1 Mb/s
          Bit Rate:2 Mb/s
          Bit Rate:5.5 Mb/s
          Bit Rate:11 Mb/s
          Bit Rate:18 Mb/s
          Bit Rate:24 Mb/s
          Bit Rate:36 Mb/s
          Bit Rate:54 Mb/s
          Bit Rate:6 Mb/s
          Bit Rate:9 Mb/s
          Bit Rate:12 Mb/s
          Bit Rate:48 Mb/s
          Extra:bcn_int=100
          Extra:atim=0
          Cell 02 - Address: 00:11:24:5B:C3:23
          ESSID:"Apple Network "
          Protocol:IEEE 802.11b
          Mode:Managed
          Frequency:2.412 GHz (Channel 1)
          Quality:0/100 Signal level:-95 dBm Noise level:-256
          dBm
          Encryption key:on
          Bit Rate:1 Mb/s
          Bit Rate:2 Mb/s
          Bit Rate:5.5 Mb/s
          Bit Rate:6 Mb/s
          Bit Rate:9 Mb/s
          Bit Rate:11 Mb/s
          Bit Rate:12 Mb/s
          Bit Rate:18 Mb/s
          Bit Rate:24 Mb/s
          Bit Rate:36 Mb/s
          Bit Rate:48 Mb/s
          Bit Rate:54 Mb/s
          Extra:bcn_int=100
          Extra:atim=0

          B4 i config a iwlan0 interface into /etc/sysconfig, it
          seems i can iwlist scanning, the card power/activity
          led seems function ok. but try to find the correct
          config for the iwlan0 interface.

          pls comment

          thanks

          tom

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Herman
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 2 11:31 PM
            Stephen Lau wrote:

            > I'm confused. Is this a PCMCIA card, or a mini-PCI card?
            > The Fn-F2 hotkey is to turn the built in mini-PCI card on/off. I don't
            > believe it works for PCMCIA devices...

            I have two: USB and PCMCIA.

            On this 1200 model, the Fn-F2 key is a soft key. Under Windows, it
            turns the WiFi adaptor on/off, both for PCMCIA and USB cards. Under
            Linux, this key is not handled.

            Cheers,

            Herman
          • Stephen Lau
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 3 9:21 AM
              Herman wrote:

              >Stephen Lau wrote:
              >

              >>I'm confused. Is this a PCMCIA card, or a mini-PCI card?
              >>The Fn-F2 hotkey is to turn the built in mini-PCI card on/off. I don't
              >>believe it works for PCMCIA devices...
              >>

              >I have two: USB and PCMCIA.
              >
              >On this 1200 model, the Fn-F2 key is a soft key. Under Windows, it
              >turns the WiFi adaptor on/off, both for PCMCIA and USB cards. Under
              >Linux, this key is not handled.

              Wow cool. I had no idea it did that. :) Well, I guess I'm out of ideas
              as to what to do... my only other suggestion would be to try the
              Linuxant Driverloader and see if that can load it.. ?
            • Herman
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 3 10:07 AM
                Stephen Lau wrote:

                > Wow cool. I had no idea it did that. :) Well, I guess I'm out of ideas
                > as to what to do... my only other suggestion would be to try the
                > Linuxant Driverloader and see if that can load it.. ?

                Thanks for that tip. I wasn't aware of Linuxant. I'll give them a try
                and if it works report back here.

                Cheers,

                Herman
              • Haedn Thorn
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 3 11:02 AM
                  --- Stephen Lau <ldl@...> wrote:
                  > Herman wrote:
                  >
                  > >Stephen Lau wrote:
                  > >

                  > >>I'm confused. Is this a PCMCIA card, or a mini-PCI card?
                  > >>The Fn-F2 hotkey is to turn the built in mini-PCI card on/off. I don't
                  > >>believe it works for PCMCIA devices...
                  > >>

                  > >I have two: USB and PCMCIA.
                  > >
                  > >On this 1200 model, the Fn-F2 key is a soft key. Under Windows, it
                  > >turns the WiFi adaptor on/off, both for PCMCIA and USB cards. Under
                  > >Linux, this key is not handled.
                  > >

                  > Wow cool. I had no idea it did that. :) Well, I guess I'm out of ideas
                  > as to what to do... my only other suggestion would be to try the
                  > Linuxant Driverloader and see if that can load it.. ?

                  Have you tried rfswitch? http://rfswitch.sf.net
                • Herman
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 3 11:36 AM
                    Haedn Thorn wrote:
                    > --- Stephen Lau <ldl@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >>Herman wrote:

                    >>>I have two: USB and PCMCIA.
                    >>>
                    >>>On this 1200 model, the Fn-F2 key is a soft key. Under Windows, it
                    >>>turns the WiFi adaptor on/off, both for PCMCIA and USB cards. Under
                    >>>Linux, this key is not handled.
                    >>>

                    >>Wow cool. I had no idea it did that. :) Well, I guess I'm out of ideas
                    >>as to what to do... my only other suggestion would be to try the
                    >>Linuxant Driverloader and see if that can load it.. ?
                    >

                    > Have you tried rfswitch? http://rfswitch.sf.net

                    Thanks! I'll give that a try too.

                    Cheers,
                    --
                    Herman
                  • erick
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 3 2:20 PM
                      On Friday June 3 2005 1:07 pm, Herman wrote:
                      > Stephen Lau wrote:
                      > > Wow cool. I had no idea it did that. :) Well, I guess I'm out of ideas
                      > > as to what to do... my only other suggestion would be to try the
                      > > Linuxant Driverloader and see if that can load it.. ?
                      >
                      > Thanks for that tip. I wasn't aware of Linuxant. I'll give them a try
                      > and if it works report back here.
                      >
                      > Cheers,
                      >
                      > Herman

                      ndiswrapper -l

                      You got ndiswrapper to say the driver and hardware are present and loaded
                      right ??

                      did you set up the rest of the card using iwconfig ?

                      then setup the card in linux ?

                      --
                      The inherent downside in a life of pursuing women is the
                      possibility of inadvertently catching one
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 3 4:23 PM
                        erick wrote:

                        > ndiswrapper -l
                        >
                        > You got ndiswrapper to say the driver and hardware are present and loaded
                        > right ??
                        >
                        > did you set up the rest of the card using iwconfig ?
                        >
                        > then setup the card in linux ?

                        Yes, everything is OK, except that it doesn't create a new device - no
                        wlan0.

                        Soooooooooo, I gave up and bought a horrid Linksys ethernet-wifi-bridge.
                        I don't know why the thing is so freakin huge, but at least it works
                        well.

                        Cheers,

                        H.
                      • ken
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 4 11:47 AM

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 4 3:18 PM
                            ken wrote:

                            >>Fn-F2 works fine for me (running Gnome/Suse 9.3 on I600m w/ Pro Wireless 2200).

                            Interesting - /var/log/messages says:
                            "kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed..."
                            "kernel: atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e008 <keycode>' to make it known"

                            What wireless adaptor are you using?

                            Cheers,

                            H.
                          • ken
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 4 5:01 PM
                              Herman wrote:

                              >ken wrote:
                              >

                              >>>Fn-F2 works fine for me (running Gnome/Suse 9.3 on I600m w/ Pro Wireless 2200).
                              >>>

                              >Interesting - /var/log/messages says:
                              >"kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed..."
                              >"kernel: atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e008 <keycode>' to make it known"
                              >
                              >What wireless adaptor are you using?
                              >
                              >Cheers,
                              >
                              >H.

                              Pro Wireless 2200, Intel