Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Inspiron 1200 Fn-F2

  • Herman
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 1, 2005
      Stephen Lau wrote:
      > What kind of wifi card is in the 1200? If you boot it up in Windows,
      > and then soft-reboot into Linux does the wifi work?

      It is a Dell Wireless 1350, Model WL-611GD, Broadcom BCM4306 chip set,
      cardbus.

      As soon as Windows shuts down, the Power LED goes out and stays out.

      I tried using the same driver with ndiswrapper bcmwl5.sys/inf.
      Everything installs and configures merrily, except that it doesn't
      actually work. Eg. service network restart says wlan0 OK, but it
      doesn't exist. Even if I remove the card and restart the network, it
      still says wlan0 OK and if I run ifconfig, wlan0 doesn't exist.

      I also tried a Dlink DWL-G132 USB device, with pretty much the same
      result. No error messages, everything is happy, but it doesn't work.

      Sooooo, I guess I have to go and buy yet another adaptor and sell my
      growing collection on Ebay...

      Cheers,

      Herman

      > cheers,
      > steve
      >
      > Herman wrote:
      >

      >>Hi everybody,
      >>
      >>It appears that on the Inspiron 1200, the Fn-F2 WiFi power key is a soft
      >>key - i.e. it does nothing and when I press it, I get a syslog message
      >>saying that keycode e008 is not bound. The problem therefore, is that I
      >>can't turn the cardbus WiFi radio on.
      >>
      >>The PCMCIA controller is PCI1510 from Texas Instruments.
      >>The BIOS has a setting to turn the WiFi power on at startup, but it does
      >>nothing, the WiFi card LED remains off, irrespective of this setting.
      >>
      >>Does anyone have a clue how to turn the radio on, without having to
      >>resort to a hammer, crowbar and soldering iron?
      >>
      >>Regards,
      >>
      >>Herman

      Herman Oosthuysen, B.Eng(E), MIEEE
      #207, 908 - 17th Ave SW
      Calgary, AB, T2T 0A3, Canada
      Phone: 1.403.228-4181
      http://www.AerospaceSoftware.com
    • Herman
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 1, 2005
        Herman wrote:
        I just tried Knoppix 3.7 ndiswrapper wizard - same thing.

        In the case of the PCMCIA module, it says that the .inf file is invalid
        and in the case of the USB module, it says that ndiswrapper is loaded,
        but there is no new device, perhaps ndiswrapper doesn't work with this
        driver.

        So, yeah, it feels like getting a second opinion from another doctor and
        you are still ill and still don't know what the matter is.

        Does anybody have different drivers for these devices?
        (WL-611GD and DWL-G132)

        Cheers,

        H.

        #207, 908 - 17th Ave SW
        Calgary, AB, T2T 0A3, Canada
        Phone: 1.403.228-4181
        http://www.AerospaceSoftware.com
      • ken
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 1, 2005
          Herman wrote:

          >Hi everybody,
          >
          >It appears that on the Inspiron 1200, the Fn-F2 WiFi power key is a soft
          >key - i.e. it does nothing and when I press it, I get a syslog message
          >saying that keycode e008 is not bound. The problem therefore, is that I
          >can't turn the cardbus WiFi radio on.
          >
          >The PCMCIA controller is PCI1510 from Texas Instruments.
          >The BIOS has a setting to turn the WiFi power on at startup, but it does
          >nothing, the WiFi card LED remains off, irrespective of this setting.
          >
          >Does anyone have a clue how to turn the radio on, without having to
          >resort to a hammer, crowbar and soldering iron?
          >
          >Regards,
          >
          >Herman

          Herman,

          First, be sure that it is turned on in your BIOS. (My Dell was flaky
          for awhile when I first got it and would turn off the radio sporadically
          for no reason. Changing the mainboard fixed that.)

          Running "ifup <hardware-description>" should get it running.

          hth,
          ken

          do. Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care to live.
          -- Bradford Angier
        • Stephen Lau
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 2, 2005
            Herman wrote:

            >Stephen Lau wrote:
            >

            >>What kind of wifi card is in the 1200? If you boot it up in Windows,
            >>and then soft-reboot into Linux does the wifi work?
            >>

            >It is a Dell Wireless 1350, Model WL-611GD, Broadcom BCM4306 chip set,
            >cardbus.
            >
            >As soon as Windows shuts down, the Power LED goes out and stays out.
            >
            >I tried using the same driver with ndiswrapper bcmwl5.sys/inf.
            >Everything installs and configures merrily, except that it doesn't
            >actually work. Eg. service network restart says wlan0 OK, but it
            >doesn't exist. Even if I remove the card and restart the network, it
            >still says wlan0 OK and if I run ifconfig, wlan0 doesn't exist.
            >
            >I also tried a Dlink DWL-G132 USB device, with pretty much the same
            >result. No error messages, everything is happy, but it doesn't work.
            >
            >Sooooo, I guess I have to go and buy yet another adaptor and sell my
            >growing collection on Ebay...
            >
            >Cheers,
            >
            >Herman

            I'm confused. Is this a PCMCIA card, or a mini-PCI card?
            The Fn-F2 hotkey is to turn the built in mini-PCI card on/off. I don't
            believe it works for PCMCIA devices...

            cheers,
            steve
          • tom loong
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 2, 2005
              Hi All,

              need some help !

              following are the info:

              ##################################
              system dell inspiron 1100 with Fedora 3
              #
              Linux kyt 2.6.11-1.27_FC3
              #
              [root@kyt ~]# ndiswrapper -l
              Installed ndis drivers:
              mrv8ka51 driver present, hardware present
              #
              root@kyt ~]# iwconfig
              #
              lo no wireless extensions.
              eth0 no wireless extensions.
              sit0 no wireless extensions.
              #
              wlan0 IEEE 802.11b ESSID:off/any
              Mode:Managed Channel:0 Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00
              Bit Rate:54 Mb/s Sensitivity=-200 dBm
              RTS thr:2346 B Fragment thr:2346 B
              Encryption key:off
              Power Management:off
              Link Quality:100/100 Signal level:-50 dBm Noise
              level:-256 dBm

              root@kyt ~]# iwlist wlan0 scanning
              wlan0 Scan completed :
              Cell 01 - Address: 00:0E:A6:7F:03:95
              ESSID:"tonyhomegateway"
              Protocol:IEEE 802.11b
              Mode:Managed
              Frequency:2.412 GHz (Channel 1)
              Quality:0/100 Signal level:-52 dBm Noise level:-256
              dBm
              Encryption key:off
              Bit Rate:1 Mb/s
              Bit Rate:2 Mb/s
              Bit Rate:5.5 Mb/s
              Bit Rate:11 Mb/s
              Bit Rate:18 Mb/s
              Bit Rate:24 Mb/s
              Bit Rate:36 Mb/s
              Bit Rate:54 Mb/s
              Bit Rate:6 Mb/s
              Bit Rate:9 Mb/s
              Bit Rate:12 Mb/s
              Bit Rate:48 Mb/s
              Extra:bcn_int=100
              Extra:atim=0
              Cell 02 - Address: 00:11:24:5B:C3:23
              ESSID:"Apple Network "
              Protocol:IEEE 802.11b
              Mode:Managed
              Frequency:2.412 GHz (Channel 1)
              Quality:0/100 Signal level:-95 dBm Noise level:-256
              dBm
              Encryption key:on
              Bit Rate:1 Mb/s
              Bit Rate:2 Mb/s
              Bit Rate:5.5 Mb/s
              Bit Rate:6 Mb/s
              Bit Rate:9 Mb/s
              Bit Rate:11 Mb/s
              Bit Rate:12 Mb/s
              Bit Rate:18 Mb/s
              Bit Rate:24 Mb/s
              Bit Rate:36 Mb/s
              Bit Rate:48 Mb/s
              Bit Rate:54 Mb/s
              Extra:bcn_int=100
              Extra:atim=0

              B4 i config a iwlan0 interface into /etc/sysconfig, it
              seems i can iwlist scanning, the card power/activity
              led seems function ok. but try to find the correct
              config for the iwlan0 interface.

              pls comment

              thanks

              tom

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Herman
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 2, 2005
                Stephen Lau wrote:

                > I'm confused. Is this a PCMCIA card, or a mini-PCI card?
                > The Fn-F2 hotkey is to turn the built in mini-PCI card on/off. I don't
                > believe it works for PCMCIA devices...

                I have two: USB and PCMCIA.

                On this 1200 model, the Fn-F2 key is a soft key. Under Windows, it
                turns the WiFi adaptor on/off, both for PCMCIA and USB cards. Under
                Linux, this key is not handled.

                Cheers,

                Herman
              • Stephen Lau
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
                  Herman wrote:

                  >Stephen Lau wrote:
                  >

                  >>I'm confused. Is this a PCMCIA card, or a mini-PCI card?
                  >>The Fn-F2 hotkey is to turn the built in mini-PCI card on/off. I don't
                  >>believe it works for PCMCIA devices...
                  >>

                  >I have two: USB and PCMCIA.
                  >
                  >On this 1200 model, the Fn-F2 key is a soft key. Under Windows, it
                  >turns the WiFi adaptor on/off, both for PCMCIA and USB cards. Under
                  >Linux, this key is not handled.

                  Wow cool. I had no idea it did that. :) Well, I guess I'm out of ideas
                  as to what to do... my only other suggestion would be to try the
                  Linuxant Driverloader and see if that can load it.. ?
                • Herman
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
                    Stephen Lau wrote:

                    > Wow cool. I had no idea it did that. :) Well, I guess I'm out of ideas
                    > as to what to do... my only other suggestion would be to try the
                    > Linuxant Driverloader and see if that can load it.. ?

                    Thanks for that tip. I wasn't aware of Linuxant. I'll give them a try
                    and if it works report back here.

                    Cheers,

                    Herman
                  • Haedn Thorn
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
                      --- Stephen Lau <ldl@...> wrote:
                      > Herman wrote:
                      >
                      > >Stephen Lau wrote:
                      > >

                      > >>I'm confused. Is this a PCMCIA card, or a mini-PCI card?
                      > >>The Fn-F2 hotkey is to turn the built in mini-PCI card on/off. I don't
                      > >>believe it works for PCMCIA devices...
                      > >>

                      > >I have two: USB and PCMCIA.
                      > >
                      > >On this 1200 model, the Fn-F2 key is a soft key. Under Windows, it
                      > >turns the WiFi adaptor on/off, both for PCMCIA and USB cards. Under
                      > >Linux, this key is not handled.
                      > >

                      > Wow cool. I had no idea it did that. :) Well, I guess I'm out of ideas
                      > as to what to do... my only other suggestion would be to try the
                      > Linuxant Driverloader and see if that can load it.. ?

                      Have you tried rfswitch? http://rfswitch.sf.net
                    • Herman
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
                        Haedn Thorn wrote:
                        > --- Stephen Lau <ldl@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >>Herman wrote:

                        >>>I have two: USB and PCMCIA.
                        >>>
                        >>>On this 1200 model, the Fn-F2 key is a soft key. Under Windows, it
                        >>>turns the WiFi adaptor on/off, both for PCMCIA and USB cards. Under
                        >>>Linux, this key is not handled.
                        >>>

                        >>Wow cool. I had no idea it did that. :) Well, I guess I'm out of ideas
                        >>as to what to do... my only other suggestion would be to try the
                        >>Linuxant Driverloader and see if that can load it.. ?
                        >

                        > Have you tried rfswitch? http://rfswitch.sf.net

                        Thanks! I'll give that a try too.

                        Cheers,
                        --
                        Herman
                      • erick
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
                          On Friday June 3 2005 1:07 pm, Herman wrote:
                          > Stephen Lau wrote:
                          > > Wow cool. I had no idea it did that. :) Well, I guess I'm out of ideas
                          > > as to what to do... my only other suggestion would be to try the
                          > > Linuxant Driverloader and see if that can load it.. ?
                          >
                          > Thanks for that tip. I wasn't aware of Linuxant. I'll give them a try
                          > and if it works report back here.
                          >
                          > Cheers,
                          >
                          > Herman

                          ndiswrapper -l

                          You got ndiswrapper to say the driver and hardware are present and loaded
                          right ??

                          did you set up the rest of the card using iwconfig ?

                          then setup the card in linux ?

                          --
                          The inherent downside in a life of pursuing women is the
                          possibility of inadvertently catching one
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
                            erick wrote:

                            > ndiswrapper -l
                            >
                            > You got ndiswrapper to say the driver and hardware are present and loaded
                            > right ??
                            >
                            > did you set up the rest of the card using iwconfig ?
                            >
                            > then setup the card in linux ?

                            Yes, everything is OK, except that it doesn't create a new device - no
                            wlan0.

                            Soooooooooo, I gave up and bought a horrid Linksys ethernet-wifi-bridge.
                            I don't know why the thing is so freakin huge, but at least it works
                            well.

                            Cheers,

                            H.
                          • ken
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 4, 2005

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 4, 2005
                                ken wrote:

                                >>Fn-F2 works fine for me (running Gnome/Suse 9.3 on I600m w/ Pro Wireless 2200).

                                Interesting - /var/log/messages says:
                                "kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed..."
                                "kernel: atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e008 <keycode>' to make it known"

                                What wireless adaptor are you using?

                                Cheers,

                                H.
                              • ken
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 4, 2005
                                  Herman wrote:

                                  >ken wrote:
                                  >

                                  >>>Fn-F2 works fine for me (running Gnome/Suse 9.3 on I600m w/ Pro Wireless 2200).
                                  >>>

                                  >Interesting - /var/log/messages says:
                                  >"kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed..."
                                  >"kernel: atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e008 <keycode>' to make it known"
                                  >
                                  >What wireless adaptor are you using?
                                  >
                                  >Cheers,
                                  >
                                  >H.

                                  Pro Wireless 2200, Intel